Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By blend52
  • 1 Post By deegee
  • 1 Post By blend52

Thread: PID advice for Silvia

PID advice for Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Would like to PID my Silvia but don't want to spend much as will probably upgrade in a while. Here is a link to a cheap unit on Ebay. Anyone tried it, or is it not suitable? eBay link removed per site posting policy
    Last edited by Javaphile; 17th November 2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: eBay link removed

Burkeyboy, if you go the cheap path it will still cost you for extras such as the electric leads, connectors, box to put the PID into, etc. I installed the Auber PID and despite my inexperience with things electric, I did it in an hour, the PID'd Silvia is well worth every cent. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Burkeyboy, if you go the cheap path it will still cost you for extras such as the electric leads, connectors, box to put the PID into, etc. I installed the Auber PID and despite my inexperience with things electric, I did it in an hour, the PID'd Silvia is well worth every cent. Good luck.
    Agreed, BUT if you have the skills , common sense, and tools (basic) then it is pretty straight forward using $30 worth of parts from Ebay and a few bits from your local electronic supply store.
    Search out the many PID install threads on this and other sites for best units to use and how to do it.
    Dont attempt it however, unless you are confident/competant at electrical repairs and fault finding.
    MrJack likes this.

Thanks guys, will read up a bit more.

I will add that I think the Auber PID kit is definitely worth the money

If you don't want to go the the trouble of DIY, or the cost of an Auber, here is an alternative you might want to consider.

I have a PID kit from FleaBay for my Gaggia Classic, but I have not connected it yet. While I was waiting for it to arrive I hooked up a cheap digital thermometer/thermocouple that I had bought as a spare for my popper/roaster.

It has worked well enough that I have had the PID for a couple of months, but have not fitted it yet.

The thermocouple is clamped to the top of the boiler, so it reads external boiler temps, not water temps, but it lets me see the temperatures rise and fall as the thermostat flicks on and off, and allows me to pull my shots at any point in the cycle that I choose.

It is just temp surfing, but with accuracy and repeatability, not guesswork.

Thermometer is velcro mounted on a simple 90 bracket screwed to the case.

Here are a couple of pics of it.

G.C. Dig Therm. 1 .jpgG.C. Dig Therm.2 .jpg
    smokey likes this.

deegee, I was thinking the exact same thing, while I was planning for the PID I bought a digital thermometer to help me with Silvia's temp surfing, but then arrived the PID so I never go to try it. I think it is the way to go on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    deegee, I was thinking the exact same thing, while I was planning for the PID I bought a digital thermometer to help me with Silvia's temp surfing, but then arrived the PID so I never go to try it. I think it is the way to go on the cheap.
    The digital thermometer option used to be called "Gronking" ..named after the first CS member to try it a few years back.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...ilvia-but.html
    You can get a small digital thermometer and TC for as little as $2.50 these days
    mJJm0bARDZsSdwbB1zS39Fg.jpg

There is also another option,..to replace the brew thermostat with an "Electronic" temperature controller (simpler than a PID) which has a very narrow "dead band" ( <1 deg C) and hence gives much more accurate, and adjustable, brew temperature settings They also have a digital display.
    mnuy2xNX9wjP4pa4M3B0XvA.jpg
    Cost is <$20.
    smokey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    There is also another option,..to replace the brew thermostat with an "Electronic" temperature controller (simpler than a PID) which has a very narrow "dead band" ( <1 deg C) and hence gives much more accurate, and adjustable, brew temperature settings They also have a digital display.
    Cost is <$20.
    I would be very interested in one of these, but so far my searches have mainly turned up models that max out at 110 C , and while I know that the boiler will still heat to steam temps when I hit the steam switch, I wonder what the controller would do when it hits 150.
    The only exception I found was one which went up to 300 C but it needed a 12V power supply, and the relay contacts were only good for 5 amps, so it would need to work via an SSR.
    Do you know of one that will run direct from mains voltage, handle the necessary temperature, and switch up to 10 amps??.

Thanks, deegee.

Quote Originally Posted by deegee View Post
    Do you know of one that will run direct from mains voltage, handle the necessary temperature, and switch up to 10 amps??.

Thanks, deegee.
    The one i have is 240 v, 30amp relay, and works up to 130 C.
    You have to check all the small print options in the adds.
    I will try to find the model # of mine .

Some words of advice:

Don't use a NTC sensor. The response time is too slow. Use a thermocouple.

Get a PID controller. A simple thermostat is not good enough. the "D" is very important.

Gonzo