Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By Barry_Duncan
  • 1 Post By Pavoniboy

Thread: Lelit PL60T or Breville BES900 advice on which to buy

Lelit PL60T or Breville BES900 advice on which to buy

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My Nuova Simoneli Oscar has blown up and it's old and not worth repairing.

I have been reading all the reviews and I'm stuck between the Lelit PL60T ($1700) pr Breville BES900 ($1200 at DJ's)

I make 4 cups per day, latte.

I'm leaning marginally to the Breville due to special price at the moment.But it's all about getting the best coffee really.

I would appreciate the tribes wisdom on this.

Hi Malbino

Both will make great coffee with good quality beans and a good grinder. Your grinder is the most important part, together with a consistent process of grinding, dosing and tamping.

There are plenty of threads on coffeesnobs about both machines if you do a search.

I've owned the PL60T and found it a great little machine. It performed flawlessly. You can also get great support from Coffesnobs sponsors about them. It's probably more portable than the Breville too, if you want to take it with you on the weekend.

If you can, go to a sponsor and try them both out.

Sniff

Thanks Sniff, I read through some of the threads and both get good comments.
    I'm interested in your grinder comments. I have been using a breville one that wasnt so expensive circa $80. I have recently got a Aero press and ceramic grinder for travelling.
    Is there any grinders I should be looking at, or any specs I need to consider I would really appreciate it.

Hi again Malbino

The range of grinders is just like coffee machines - the limit is your wallet.

They are mainly divided by the type of burr - either flat or conical.

Again, sponsors can help.

Popular ones for beginners are the Compak K3 Push, Eureka Mignon, Rancilio Rocky.

Further up the range are the Mazzer Mini, Macap M2 and M4

Then further up again are the Mazzer Major, Mazzer Kony & Super Jolly & Robur and Macap M7, and the Compak K10

Those are just a few I thought of off the top of my head that get good reviews and my list certainly isn't exhaustive.

To give you an idea, when I first started on my coffee snobs journey, I started with a Hario ceramic grinder and Aeropress, then moved to a Presso (now called the Rok), but then the first big upgrade was to a Mazzer M4D.

So I spent big bucks on the grinder before I even got a powered espresso machine!

You will find that a good grinder and good roasted beans will make the biggest difference.

Regards

Sniff

Thanks again Sniff,

I can see i'd better step it up a notch with the grinder for starters. And I'm still 50/50 on the machines.
    I appreciate you sharing your experience to save me learning it all for myself.

I have used the BDB a few times and it is a great little machine. The one unkown is long term durability and serviceability. It has lots of electronics controlling it. the Lelit appears to be a more traditional and simpler machine, less plastic etc. The BDB price is very good for what you get, regularly seen it for ~$1200 with a smart grinder, which is good value for the feature set.

Cheers
    Malbino likes this.

Thanks Artman, Appreciate your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SniffCoffee View Post
    the first big upgrade was to a Mazzer M4D.
    ?? Macap M4D?? or ??Mazzer Mini?? Just a typo ....... ;-D

My bad

Macap M4D, of course!

+1 for the grinder.

Either of those machines will require a decent grinder. So, you need to budget for one. I would get at least something like Rocky. Or try to get BD bundled with a Breville grinder (not sure which one is OK)

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    I have used the BDB a few times and it is a great little machine. The one unkown is long term durability and serviceability. It has lots of electronics controlling it. the Lelit appears to be a more traditional and simpler machine, less plastic etc. The BDB price is very good for what you get, regularly seen it for ~$1200 with a smart grinder, which is good value for the feature set.

Cheers
    I have been using My BDB a couple of times daily for 2 years. Other than an Oring failure I have had no problems other than some portafilter spinouts.

Complex electronics have got more reliable with modern cars and also with coffee machines. With plastics, Breville machines have the chassis built from a dense plastic. I have not seen any reports of any problems with this while I have seen several reports here of rusting of the steel chassis in Sylvias.

You can now get the updated BDB BES920. It has improvements listed by TheBeardedBarista on the Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread:

1) Self descaling system - able to be descaled by the user
    2) More accurate shot dose using a single flow meter design
    3) Improved design on double spout
    4) Improved design on filter holder ramps
    5) Improved material on shower head o-ring to reduce corrosion
    6) Improved filter baskets design to reduce puk sticking
    7) Higher wattage (2400W)
    8) Adjustable steam boiler temperature to allow high steam wand pressure
    9) New 480ml jug matched to the capacity of the steam system

Barry
    Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 25th November 2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Malbino likes this.

It all depends on money and your preference. As above, both are capable home machines that can make great espresso.

My personal thoughts if I had $1700 to do a set up (don't know if that is all you want to spend, just going off the Lelit price you mention) would be get the BES900 and shop around/haggle to get a smart grinder thrown in. Then sell that smart grinder, add the sale cash to the $500 you saved by going BES900 and be in the range of a Macap M4 Doser or Mazzer Mini or the like. Grinder is everything (well not quite...).

If you are happy spending more, go play with both and choose the one you like working with.

My 2 cents.

(I am a current BES900 owner and previously owned a previous incarnation of the Lelit.)
    Malbino likes this.

Really sound advice, I can see I,m going to have to stump up and get. Decent grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Malbino View Post
    Really sound advice, I can see I,m going to have to stump up and get. Decent grinder
    FYI The Dual Boiler - Black Sesame | David Jones

Dual Boiler + Breville Smart Grinder for $1274

If you are getting the BDB, it is best to get the BES920 that has the latest improvements. It should be at the same or similar price as the 900.

Barry

Out of the two.
    go the Lelit every day of the week.

I own the PL60T V2 and you'll get a better price than $1700 if you talk to the guys at Jetblack Espresso
    it doesn't have programmable soft-touch buttons, or a timer, etc.
    Just solid construction, polished stainless steel body, big tough switches, PID control and it makes a beautiful cup of coffee.

It will happily steam up 600ml of milk without blinking and i've had no issues with back to back 1L jugs, 600ml of milk in a jug (time for pouring and refilling jug in between)

Above is mentioned a "feature" of the new breville
    "9) New 480ml jug matched to the capacity of the steam system"
    so if the jug is 480ml, you're not going to put more than 300ml of milk in it, and how long between jugs?

I know i keep linking this video of the PL60
    but you'll see that she has just steamed up a 600ml jug (300ml+) and the first one finishes at 2:15, the next jug is on at 2:30 without hassle.
    Lelit PL60T 6 cappuccinos - YouTube