Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By Robbks

Thread: Silvia, Lelit PL41TEM or PL PLUS?

Silvia, Lelit PL41TEM or PL PLUS?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,
    I love my short black in the morning and cappuccino in the arvo. My Gaggia Evolution does not want to frost milk anymore Me thinking new machine!

Obvious choices: Silvia / Lelit PL41TEM for my budget ($800) or outside the square thinking (?) Lelit PL PLUS...

Q1 - PID really necessary?

Q2 - Lelit PLUS has got tremendous specs -on paper- for reasonable pricing. BUT I cannot find a lot of sponsors / reseller selling them nor can I find lots of reviews. Is there a catch there? I would like to know more about the PL PLUS because of PID, larger boiler (600ml) and 58mm group handle.

Any help or experience sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Laurent

kazlolo, I have a Silvia which I am very happy with, you don't need a PID to make good coffee, but its temperature range is about 30 degrees so you can just get a digital thermometer and stick it to the boiler and adjust by surfing. A simple and inexpensive solution for a good machine within your budget (and you can get them for $699).

I know nothing about the Lelit PL41TEM so hopefully someone can come up with a comment for you.

agree on Smokey's comment... a PID just makes life slightly easier compare to manual temp surfing which requires a bit of flushing and waiting for each shot, it can be slightly tedious if you are making a few espresso at the same time, but it can provide good results if you are consistent...

I'm a Silvia owner. I did 12 months with it without a PID and the temp surf is pretty easy to come to terms with. When my warranty expired I went the Auber PID. GF says my consistency has improved since. Definitely not a requirement, but a somethign nice to have. By the sounds a PID will probably push you over your budget if you go with a Silvia.

thanks guys... Anyone has got any experience with the LELIT PL PLUS that has got a bigger boiler?

I have the PL60T V2 (Dual boiler) from site sponsor Jetblack Espresso
    It's a brilliant machine and they should do you a great price on one.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kazlolo View Post
    Hi Guys,
    My Gaggia Evolution does not want to frost milk anymore
    Does not frost anymore? Bump.Do not listen to them. None of these machines will frost milk for you. Get a Kelvinator instead...

But seriously... Two coffees a day.... Agree with other guys. Silvia is a no brainer (I've got one). Yes, PID is nice to have (I've got it after 5 years). In your case I would get an electronic timer ( 15 bucks in a big shop with a big letter w which is not a sponsor and I cannot mention it).
    Timer is important so that machine is preheated for you.

And please do not forget to allocate 300-400 bucks for the good grinder (Rocky or better).

Quote Originally Posted by viktor View Post
    ( 15 bucks in a big shop with a big letter w which is not a sponsor and I cannot mention it).
    CoffeeSnobs has a policy of no commercial postings unless authorised by the admin team. *Plugging your business (however subtle) will result in your account being blocked or removed without warning or notification.

Links to ebay ads or other similar off-site promotion to any sales related material are not welcome on CoffeeSnobs.
    Big W has them for 15 bucks. My understanding is that that is acceptable under the ToS. And if it weren't, token obfuscation wouldn't make it acceptable.

my understanding of single boilers without auto refills is not a good candidate for auto timers as it can lead to possible burnt element either due to user forgetting to refill since last use or minor leak from steam wand...

just a precaution if you are going to use a timer...

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    my understanding of single boilers without auto refills is not a good candidate for auto timers as it can lead to possible burnt element either due to user forgetting to refill since last use or minor leak from steam wand...

just a precaution if you are going to use a timer...
    We would never recommend a timer be used with a single boiler machine without a low water safety cutout. In fact, we don't recommend single boiler machines in many cases for those starting out. Whilst the spend can be lower, the skill level and process to get good results is generally higher. Young families, multiple users, offices = recipe for disaster and $$$ repairs.

Whilst dead boilers and elements generate work for techs, they do have better things to do.
    CafeLotta likes this.

well, the original poster has 800 bucks budget. Cannot see how dual boiler machine can be squeezed in.

Regarding the timer with single boilers - fair comments.
    It is a matter of discipline though. I would never recommend it in office - this is the sure way to kill a machine within a week.
    Single home user+some discipline ... and I think it Ok. Depends on your habits. I use it for over a year now - and having machine preheated for you in the morning is a great convenience.
    Having said so - I only having espressos. The "cappuccino in the arvo" might be a bad combination with the timer.

Quote Originally Posted by viktor View Post
    well, the original poster has 800 bucks budget. Cannot see how dual boiler machine can be squeezed in.
    Save up for another couple of weeks, ask the right questions, and you'll be amazed at what $1000 can buy you
    TC likes this.

Living across two households I use both a Lelit PL41TEM and a Rocket Giotto regularly and have been doing so for about 18 months. I have no difficulty recommending the former. It is not as user friendly as the Giotto, but is an economic option for someone who is willing to adapt to the single boiler approach. I regard the PID as a real asset.

Best wishes, Russell

Thanks All for all your feedback. Also thumbs up to Russell to give me some feedback on his experience between a high end HX machine and a cheaper single boiler.

I have ordered (and received toady...still in the box) the LELIT PL PLUS which has got PID and a bigger 600ml brass boiler.

Hopefully this will last me for a while and create great espressos!!!

I will report back on the quality of the espressos with this machine.

thanks again.
    Laurent