Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,100 of 2101
Like Tree386Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Steam hissers are a part of normal wear and are easy to fix by your routine bienniel replacement of o-rings.

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by kousuke View Post
    Hey Guys,

My machine is a little over 2 years old - it was working properly until I perform descaling

This is the first time I descale the machine and has only done so as the machine prompt me to do so

I followed the descale procedure to the letter and used Urnex Dezcal descaler agent

Now, the machine no longer maintain brewing temperature of 94c and developed an internal leak

I can hear steam hissing internal at 57c

Do you reckon Breville will repair my machine? What could have broke?

Any input is most appreciated

Thanks in advance!
    My machine was out of warranty by 2 months and developed a leak that presented as water leaking out from under the machine. I called knowing that I would likely have to pay for a repair but was told they would service it because it was still under warranty. I didnít argue and the repair was free of charge.

Doesnít hurt to give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by gregeeh View Post
    Hi all,

Just purchased my new BES920 and I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you can answer for me.

1. What quantity of coffee are you using in the PF that comes with the machine? eg: 18, 19, 20 grams.
    2. I want to weigh the shot so do I set the machine to duration or volumetric setting?
    3. Do I weigh the shot with the PF empty or dosed? The manual states it should be empty for duration and contain the standard dose when doing the volumetric measurement. I've seen posts suggesting the volumetric method is flawed so I'm confused.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Greg
    Use the suppiled razor tool - you can't go wrong with it

consistent result everytime - no need to weight - the razor get me about 19 gram

Quote Originally Posted by mskreis View Post
    My machine was out of warranty by 2 months and developed a leak that presented as water leaking out from under the machine. I called knowing that I would likely have to pay for a repair but was told they would service it because it was still under warranty. I didn’t argue and the repair was free of charge.

Doesn’t hurt to give them a call.
    I have exactly the same problem - water leaking from under the machine too.. it becomes a hissing steam when temperature goes above 57c. Do you know what parts were replaced? I was expecting the machine to last me 5 years at least. Also, which service centre did Breville directed you to? I'm from Melbourne

Yeah, I'll give Breville a call first thing tomorrow morning

No espresso machine on the planet lasts five years without routine maintenance. Especially seals. O-rings, steam valve and solenoid are 2-3 year items on the BDB.

If it hasn't gone so far as to rust out all the brackets inside, the electronics usually don't suffer much moisture damage after they dry out.

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 25th March 2018 at 04:48 PM.

Hi all,
    Does anyone else experience excessive vibration of the drip tray during shots?
    I find the vibration so bad that the cups sometimes fall off, or contact the portafilter spout which impacts the scale reading!

Its not vibration every shot (maybe every second or third) and I am certain is not an airblock, as I regularly purge the line before making shots to heat the piping etc.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by kousuke View Post
    I have exactly the same problem - water leaking from under the machine too.. it becomes a hissing steam when temperature goes above 57c. Do you know what parts were replaced? I was expecting the machine to last me 5 years at least. Also, which service centre did Breville directed you to? I'm from Melbourne

Yeah, I'll give Breville a call first thing tomorrow morning
    They emailed me a ups label and I believe it was repaired in Illinois. I called after receiving my machine and inquired about what issues were found. I was told o-rings were replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by mskreis View Post
    They emailed me a ups label and I believe it was repaired in Illinois. I called after receiving my machine and inquired about what issues were found. I was told o-rings were replaced.
    Let us know by posting back up if you get a new machine out of it. IIRC, they say that if they can't fix it within a certain amount of time (3 days? I forget), they will send you a new/refurb unit. In your case, if it's only the o-rings, that's an easy repair (you could do it yourself), so you might not get a new machine out of it, but the rest of us yanks would like to know anyway how you fare. ooops, disregard. I see this has already been done. they fixed your machine.

for the Aussies who don't know, Breville USA charges a fixed rate of $350USD for repairs, which includes post both ways to repair shop, and if they can't fix it in a certain time, (3 days?) they post you back a new machine.

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Almo View Post
    Hi all,
    Does anyone else experience excessive vibration of the drip tray during shots?
    I find the vibration so bad that the cups sometimes fall off, or contact the portafilter spout which impacts the scale reading!

Its not vibration every shot (maybe every second or third) and I am certain is not an airblock, as I regularly purge the line before making shots to heat the piping etc.

Thoughts?
    I just replaced my BES900 with a BES920 and the vibration is a lot worse. Like you the tray vibrates so much it will cause the cup to fall off the scales. Any ideas anyone on how to fix?

TIA

Greg

Industrial strength velcro to the bottom and side of the cup?
    Nitroglycerin-transport shock-proof harness?
    I'm not helping, am I?

Quote Originally Posted by inorog View Post
    Industrial strength velcro to the bottom and side of the cup?
    Nitroglycerin-transport shock-proof harness?
    I'm not helping, am I?

You should be on the stage!

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

Sweeping it.
    inorog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    You should be on the stage!
    Yep! the first one out of town.
    inorog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    No espresso machine on the planet lasts five years without routine maintenance. Especially seals. O-rings, steam valve and solenoid are 2-3 year items on the BDB.

If it hasn't gone so far as to rust out all the brackets inside, the electronics usually don't suffer much moisture damage after they dry out.

-Peter
    Surprisingly I had a little Sunbeam lasted over 5 years with no maintenance, it still works.. I don't use it anymore though

Quote Originally Posted by gregeeh View Post
    I just replaced my BES900 with a BES920 and the vibration is a lot worse. Like you the tray vibrates so much it will cause the cup to fall off the scales. Any ideas anyone on how to fix?

TIA

Greg
    Bend the stainless steel grille that covers the drip tray so that it is VERY slightly convex (i.e. bulges upwards, so slightly that you can't see it). That ensures the grill sits on the plastic side rails of the plastic drip tray base and doesn't rattle against any other stainless steel parts.

Quote Originally Posted by peter.scales View Post
    Bend the stainless steel grille that covers the drip tray so that it is VERY slightly convex (i.e. bulges upwards, so slightly that you can't see it). That ensures the grill sits on the plastic side rails of the plastic drip tray base and doesn't rattle against any other stainless steel parts.
    Thanks, will give that a try.

The good guys clearance. $794.
    None in perth, says busselton has at least 1 left

I was messing with the programmed shot settings and decided to reset back to factory defaults. As part of the reset it asks to re-enter the hardness setting (which I remembered was the lowest value 1).

Does anyone know if this means that I have also reset the cleaning / descale timers too?

Hi guys, my 920 needed its first ever descale this weekend. Machine is probably 18 months old.
    Anywho, bought a cleaning kit with descaler liquid from Harvey Norman and followed instructions ó now my steam tastes like the descaling solution and I can't flush it out!! Tried descaling several more times with water/vinegar, and letting the steam wand run for minutes on end.
    Anyone have a clue how to fix this please?!

Quote Originally Posted by Snobstopper View Post
    Hi guys, my 920 needed its first ever descale this weekend. Machine is probably 18 months old.
    Anywho, bought a cleaning kit with descaler liquid from Harvey Norman and followed instructions — now my steam tastes like the descaling solution and I can't flush it out!! Tried descaling several more times with water/vinegar, and letting the steam wand run for minutes on end.
    Anyone have a clue how to fix this please?!
    Did you follow the instructions relevant to the software your machine is running?

http://www.brevilleusasupport.com/be...-and-use/care/

The batch code is the first four digits which you can find in the cavity where the water reservoir inserts.

It sounds like you may not have emptied the steam boiler properly after completion of descaling. I just descaled mine following the instructions on the site and water tastes / smells fine.
    Last edited by spurf; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:07 PM. Reason: Forgot link

nac
    Hi,

My machine has developed a warming up issue. It seems to get stuck at 2 degrees bellow target temp for a long time eg several minutes. Once its reached temp its fine. Also setting the temp lower still produces the same problem eg target temp - 2 degrees.
    Any ideas on what the issue may be?

Nick

A temperature sensor might be dead/dying. My BES900 had a bad temp sensor and was behaving similarly: sometimes taking 15 minutes to reach temperature. And then - it would start over-shooting the temperature - getting some 95-98 degrees in there, and then it started shutting itself down due to error codes.

Turned out to be a temp sensor with rusted hole in it.

How old is the machine?

nac
    Quote Originally Posted by inorog View Post
    A temperature sensor might be dead/dying. My BES900 had a bad temp sensor and was behaving similarly: sometimes taking 15 minutes to reach temperature. And then - it would start over-shooting the temperature - getting some 95-98 degrees in there, and then it started shutting itself down due to error codes.

Turned out to be a temp sensor with rusted hole in it.

How old is the machine?
    Thanks.

I think its 3 to 4 years old. Do you know where the sensor is located?

Couldn't tell you from the top of my head, as this was done for me as a warranty job, but I am fairly sure should be able to locate them if you have a look at the workshop/repair/spare-parts manual. On the other hoof - BES920 may be ever so slightly different (though unlikely)...

You also have to keep in mind that there are a few of them (at least 3), so you need to a). find them b). test them. If you're not remotely technically minded it may be a difficult thing to undertake.

nac
    I noticed today that if I go into the menu while its stuck and increase the temp to max, it continues to increase. Also lowing the target setting instantly the machine comes ready.

I'm starting to think that is a PID tuning issue. I think the problem started after I did a descale routine, I wonder if that screwed up the PID tuning.

The only way that can happen is if one of the temp sensors is sending bogus data. It is entirely possible that the descaler has caused one of the sensors to fail (due to corrosion) - but only because it was already failing.

Regarding your experiments with the settings:

Lowering the temperature - of course it would make it ready, that's what you'd expect - that only confirms that the software is working OK.
    Raising the temperature - depends on how the code is written but basically when you get closer to your target (a few degrees) you tend to pulse the current, because of the thermal inertia of everything. So, if you get out of the "close enough" range, by raising the target temperature from the settings menu, then the heating goes unabated until it needs to get closer again.

However way I look at it - it points at a dodgy temperature sensor.

Edit: one of the things I remember with my failing sensor - when I was starting the machine from stone cold - the temperature screen was often reading in the 35-50+ temperature range. I was dead sure the machine hadn't been on for 24 hours to read that abnormal start temperature.

nac
    I think I fixed it!!!
    Opened it up and found one of the connections on the boiler looked like it had been leaking. Replaced the O ring and now it seems fine.
    Not sure why a leak would cause the temp not to stabilise.

Does anyone know if the Hex headed coffee NTC's were used in any other model? or any place to get them?
    I just found out Breville has stopped making parts for the early BES900 models

Hi all,
    Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I have an issue with my machine. It's about 2.5 years old, and has started leaking water during extraction. Sometimes it even has a mini explosion if I don't hold the hand on tight. So I figured it may be time to replace the silicon seal, so I bought one online and took it apart last night, cleaned all the bits and installed the new seal. This morning however, same result (I wasn't overly surprised, as the old seal looked fine when I took it out). Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by frenchy7322 View Post
    Hi all,
    Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I have an issue with my machine. It's about 2.5 years old, and has started leaking water during extraction. Sometimes it even has a mini explosion if I don't hold the hand on tight. So I figured it may be time to replace the silicon seal, so I bought one online and took it apart last night, cleaned all the bits and installed the new seal. This morning however, same result (I wasn't overly surprised, as the old seal looked fine when I took it out). Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Any help is appreciated!
    worn brew head. where the lugs on the handle go has probably worn down to the point where contact with the seal is no longer sufficient. a tell tale sign is usually how far around the handle goes to get tight. once it starts getting past the 90deg area, you know its getting worn. you can prolong the repair by cutting out some thin heat resistant material and putting that above the silicon seal, just to lower it slightly. i'm talking about something about half a mm thick.

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    worn brew head. where the lugs on the handle go has probably worn down to the point where contact with the seal is no longer sufficient. a tell tale sign is usually how far around the handle goes to get tight. once it starts getting past the 90deg area, you know its getting worn. you can prolong the repair by cutting out some thin heat resistant material and putting that above the silicon seal, just to lower it slightly. i'm talking about something about half a mm thick.
    Great, thaks for that Prydey. So take it apart again, and pop it under the seal? any advice on what kind of material? and can you just buy another brew head? Thanks heaps!

Great, thaks for that Prydey. So take it apart again, and pop it under the seal? any advice on what kind of material? and can you just buy another brew head? Thanks heaps!
    bear in mind, this isn't really a fix, and should only be used as a bit of a short term 'stop gap' measure until you fix it properly. new group heads should be available, and if you are handy with the tools, can be DIY. I did my BES900 when I had it. bit fiddly and time consuming.

I can't remember what I used to pack the seal out. maybe the thin plastic kitchen cutting boards or something. needs to be reasonably heat resistant, which they are.

Quote Originally Posted by nac View Post
    I think I fixed it!!!
    Opened it up and found one of the connections on the boiler looked like it had been leaking. Replaced the O ring and now it seems fine.
    Not sure why a leak would cause the temp not to stabilise.
    It's one of the standard failure modes of the BDB... A steam leak eventually wets down the triac board under the warming tray and the machine loses it's control over temperature. Fix the steam leak and the problem goes away as soon as the triac dries out.

-Peter

Hi all,

Any help is appreciated!
    The plastic collar is still available for the -920 series (last I looked a few weeks ago) at a common USA supplier... I ordered one, even though I don't have a leak. I try to screw in my portafilter with barely enough force to stay. Sometimes it even slips and I have to catch it. But in over five years my collar hasn't worn out yet. Fingers crossed. In fact, I ordered my spare collar based on experience posted by blokes like you. Hoping I don't need it, but prepared just in case.

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    The plastic collar is still available for the -920 series (last I looked a few weeks ago) at a common USA supplier... I ordered one, even though I don't have a leak. I try to screw in my portafilter with barely enough force to stay. Sometimes it even slips and I have to catch it. But in over five years my collar hasn't worn out yet. Fingers crossed. In fact, I ordered my spare collar based on experience posted by blokes like you. Hoping I don't need it, but prepared just in case.

-Peter
    So will a plastic collar fix it? And do you mind sharing the details of the supplier? I'm getting fed up with the issue! I find it dislodges the basket when I unscrew the portafilter.. not sure if that helps with diagnosis.

Yeah - dead collar...

look up "BES920 group head collar insert" - I think needapart.co.nz might have it.

I got mine from a white goods repairer locally - who had them in stock - $12/ea

USA supplier here:
    https://www.ereplacementparts.com/co...p-1810640.html

On backorder right now. Price is cheap. But post to AUS might not be. The part is small and light so maybe post might not be too horrible?

-Peter

hi has anyone let you know how many grams to use in the pf yet also i have just bought one as well does yours shut off after 30 mins i asked breville if this can be made a longer time they said it cant be changed

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    hi has anyone let you know how many grams to use in the pf yet also i have just bought one as well does yours shut off after 30 mins i asked breville if this can be made a longer time they said it cant be changed
    Basket quantity will vary a lot, by the degree of roast. Light roasted beans are heavy and dense and require finer grinding. I have fit as much as 21g in if the roast is light enough. Otherwise, as little as 17g. Nominally, I would classify it as an 18.g basket. Also depends on your grinder and puck prep. My grinder makes an extremely large, light fluffy pile of grinds. There is almost no way to do more than 18.0g without grinding into a separate receptacle or at least a funnel on the portafilter, and then stir them down with a needle so they fit in the basket. If you have a grinder that makes super fluffy grinds and are unwilling to do these things, you will have to do with less weight or risk spillage.

As for shutting off after 30 minutes, it should not do that. What it should do is go into a low power standby mode, where the boiler powers down to 60 deg C, so it can warm back up quickly. Now, if it sits in standby mode for a couple of hours without use, it will actually shut down, as in OFF, not stand by.

If yours is shutting down to full off after 30 minutes, there is a problem. And it is not one of the common ones.

-Peter
    bosco and gunner like this.

ok cool thanks thats good to know when it goes in standby and powers down to the 60deg do all the lights go off as well and nothing on the screen showing temp. because when i do go back and press the on button it does get to 93deg very quickly

regrads Jeff

@Gunner/Jeff

Yes - I think that the only one lit - will be the power button - and even that will be "breathing"/pulsing about 1breath/second or second and a half

If you have light bouncing off it, will be hard to notice the dimly lit ring.
    gunner likes this.

thanks will check that out tonight thanks again

MCT
    Mine shuts off after 15 minutes. I read that this is by design to comply with some countries standards

Hi all,
    Just opened my bep920 (dynamic duo pack- smart grinder pro) and poured 15-20 shots to play with my new machine. Im fairly new to expresso machines but very interested in learning to master best tasting coffee, which is why ive paid a lot more than entry level expresso machines.

On the single shot/single cup i was finding almost no coffee coming through in the 30secs default settings. Grinder was on default 12 grind size so i blew it out to 14, 18, then 20. Still no where near an expresso size? Put the double filter in (single) and double cup button produced a nice strong cup with 20 grind size. Im using locally roasted beans (honduras- packs a punch). Troubleshooting says need to make the grind bigger, is it normal to go this high on grind size with the breville smart grinder? It seems a lot bigger than default setting?

I changed the pour to volume and it poured about 1ml before shutting off at 15secs... so i changed it back. Also, the grind amount seems a little under for one shot at 9.8 (default setting). The tamper hits the filter wall pretty eaily so i dont think im pressing it too hard.

This morning I bumped the grind size out to 24-
    Shot 1-Single portafilter, single cup shot, timed to 30secs
    much better volume on the single shot, 8 secs of preinfusion and it came through nice on the 30sec time

Shot 2-Single portafilter, single cup shot, timed to 30secs (grind size 22)
    the wife got this one and said strength was better. Machine behaved in a similar way. These beans are intense so strength was good

Shot 3-Single portafilter, one cup shot, adjusted advanced setting to volume pour (grind size 22)
    From what I have read, this volume setting is what I want to learn to use. If I can rely on a constant volume, then I canuse the time the shot and adjust grind to get it out to 25secs as optimal. Out past 30secs and I grind coarser, inside 25secs and ill grind finer. Is this right? This shot poured about 8-10ml in 17secs and shut off. Why did it stop? The volume seems to be set as way too low as a default setting? Do I need to manually set it in the first place?

Shot 4-Double portafilter, two cup shot, kept advanced setting to volume pour (grind size 18)
    Double shot portafilter, double cup shot, took 17 secs and shut off but only a small double shot- 30ml estimate?

Any help would be really appreciated. Im sifting through these 42 pages to gather as much info as I can...
    Thanks!

I should probably state that I am going to be pouring for two quite often, so want to be able to pour for one person, and two. I attempted two cups under the machine yesterday with only a drip in each cup. I will master one cup first!

This may be a silly or obvious question, but ill ask it. For one person is it standard to use one cup and one shot portafilter? Im making lattes. I thought a double shot was standard in a large latte?

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    I think you will find that it's more or less standard to have one shot (ie both spouts) for one coffee. I drink exclusively doubles - 16g of grinds with 30-35g of coffee liquid out in about 30 sec. You might find that a single is a little weak for a latte when comparing to a cafe bought coffee which mostly use doubles.

From memory the breville baskets are a little smaller but 16 g with 30 g out in 30 sec is a good starting point. Forget about the number on the grind dial, that is a refference only and will vary between the same grinder.

Thanks for the reply.
    So is that a weighed 16gs of coffee or 16.0 from the grinder?

I bought the grind amount in to 16.0 this morning and wound the grind in one or two. It was better in that more coffee came through (est 45ml?) but the psi only got to 8.8 and fell during the pour to 7.5- this didnt happen earlier.

Im going to bring the grind in next another couple of notches to bring the psi back up.

Are you using volumetric or timed pours Whateverbeansneccessary?

MCT
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewind View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    So is that a weighed 16gs of coffee or 16.0 from the grinder?

I bought the grind amount in to 16.0 this morning and wound the grind in one or two. It was better in that more coffee came through (est 45ml?) but the psi only got to 8.8 and fell during the pour to 7.5- this didnt happen earlier.

Im going to bring the grind in next another couple of notches to bring the psi back up.

Are you using volumetric or timed pours Whateverbeansneccessary?
    Sounds like you need to grind a little finer. Try aiming for 32g out with 16g grinds in 30 seconds. Thatís the ratio I use on this machine and itís a great shot.
    Also I never use the one or two cup buttons. I use the manual button and just cut the shot at 30 seconds

MCT
    Also, Iím using a different basket now. But when I was using the breville double shot basket I think I had 19g dose in it. Had trouble with any less

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    whitewind, I have a very different machine to be honest but the principals are the same. MCT has some good suggestions and sounds like he is getting good results.

About 16 grams of coffee pre-weighed in the grinder to the portafilter. I would adjust the grind setting until it's fine enough to get roughly 30-35mls in 30 seconds. Then play with the dose form there. Keep in mind you have only a few variables to play with and limiting some is always a solid plan - like trying to tamp with the same pressure each time.

Make sure you are also using fresh coffee no more than a month from roast date. The supermarket stuff can be a little tough to get a good shot from as it is usually quite old.

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast