Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,200 of 2332
Like Tree462Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    I bought mine in 2014? and it never flashed just turned off after 15min. It got replaced under warranty in 2016 and still just turns off after 15min.
    Interesting. The light on the power button definitely used to 'pulse' for a while before it turned itself off. Now it just goes off.

EDIT: Picture attached from instructions, it doesn't do this anymore.
    IMG_9672.jpg
    Last edited by nick0; 11th July 2018 at 04:26 PM.

Hi all, my first foray into the world of coffee machines and I have a 920 put aside at Breville’s warehouse to collect today. It comes with 12 months warranty. Is this sensible or am I better off paying more for the machine so I get 24 months warranty??
    Last edited by JerseyBean; 11th July 2018 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBean View Post
    Hi all, my first foray into the world of coffee machines and I have a 920 put aside at Brevilleís warehouse to collect today. It comes with 12 months warranty. Is this sensible or am I better off paying more for the machine so I get 24 months warranty??
    I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a year, try and talk them into a 2 year deal. You'd be off better waiting for them to come on sale again at Harvey Norman. I just bought one in their last sale $794 with a normal 2 year warranty.
    WarrenK and JerseyBean like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a year, try and talk them into a 2 year deal. You'd be off better waiting for them to come on sale again at Harvey Norman. I just bought one in their last sale $794 with a normal 2 year warranty.
    Hi Erimus, I think we were chatting on another thread. Do you mean $100 for the extended warranty? Wow $794 for a brand new Dual Boiler is incredible. I assume that is without the Smart Grinder Pro? When will I have to wait until, next EOFY or their Christmas sales?

Yeah, $100 for the extended warranty, that makes your machine $750. As to when HN will have another sale you'll just have to be alert. Someone will probably post it in the 920 thread I imagine, there's always The Good Guys too.

Yeah, $100 for the extended warranty, that makes your machine $750. As to when HN will have another sale you'll just have to be alert. Someone will probably post it in the 920 thread I imagine, there's always The Good Guys too.
    Okay that is brilliant news. Iím so glad I posted last night!! Iíll hold off and just wait. Iíve waited this long so I can wait a bit longer for peace of mind that 24 months warranty will give me. Iím going to pick up a grinder and get used to how that all works. My French press will suffice for now. Please get back to me if I misunderstood and it was for the 920 and the 820 ( Iím thinking it canít be but I have seen threads where people have picked both up for those low deals you have mentioned so I could be wrong). Just so I know whether to grab a separate grinder or not.

Thanks again

Correct me but I thought that by default Australian law requires 2 years warranty... anything extra is *on top* of the existing warranty

Quote Originally Posted by inorog View Post
    Correct me but I thought that by default Australian law requires 2 years warranty... anything extra is *on top* of the existing warranty
    I thought it was 12 months actually. The warranty I was taking about originally was from the Breville Warehouse so it wouldn’t be their full warranty for an item that is considered seconds. I’m picking up a new machine now so I’ll have peace of mind with 24 months warranty though
    Last edited by JerseyBean; 12th July 2018 at 11:21 AM.

Just goes to show it’s worth making a few calls. Good Guys are doing the machine for $779. Harvey Norman would only come down to $849. Good Guys said their price is never over $800 which didn’t make a lot of sense to me but HN did mention this machine is being discontinued so perhaps that’s why. Thanks for all of your help.

Hey all
    MY input regarding prices and warranties etc
    I had a sunbeam em7000 and put 3 years extra warranty on it. I noticed about a year in that it leaked whenever it was cleaned or descaled. I just ignored that until 3 years was up and got a full refund under warranty.
    Which went towards my BES920. That is the reason I got 4 years extended warranty on my breville dual boiler. I paid $799 + $100 for 4 years warranty, and got $100 back via amex at Harvey Norman. $799 for 6 years warranty ain't too bad. Then it dropped a few days later to $744 and Harvey Norman refunded me the difference.

Due to the nature of these 'appliance' machines I decided i was going to go for an extended warranty like I did the Sunbeam.

When I was shopping about 3 months ago, TGG had them for $700 but no stock in Australia, and Myer and harvey norman refused to go under around $880 because 'they were losing money'.

Haven't been able to use it yet though because my breville dose control pro grinder went kaput
    WarrenK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBean View Post
    Hi all, my first foray into the world of coffee machines and I have a 920 put aside at Breville’s warehouse to collect today. It comes with 12 months warranty. Is this sensible or am I better off paying more for the machine so I get 24 months warranty??
    Mine came with 24 months from breville

If you were in my area i would lend you a Dose Control Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BOR15 View Post
    If you were in my area i would lend you a Dose Control Pro
    Thanks mate, certainly struggle street until the new grinder comes. No espresso.
    My Dose control wont grind fine enough including macro and micro adjustments. The sweeper needs replacing and the burrs arent great. It's only 3 years old.
    BOR15 likes this.

Just a friendly reminder to give the water tank a nice clean every now and then. I'd completely forgotten about it for some reason. Had a look at it this morning, a little bit slimy at the bottom 🤢Whoopsy, won't be forgetting to do that again!

You should start to worry when the slime at the bottom of the tank comes out and makes you a coffee... and make it better than you would. :P
    BOR15 likes this.

Hey guys! I have a Breville dual boiler the 920 with descale option.

It's a first generation software (serial number in the 1400's) and it's just come up for descale after a few years of owning. I know there are issues with these models. It's never been in for a service so it still uses the older software, etc ....

How do I not kill it? Does the updated steps for descale stop the thermal fuse from blowing and/or the boiler elements going?

I want to descale it but I don't want to essentially brick it. Am I better taking it to a Breville service provider or will the updated descale steps work?

Also ... Are the steps on the US website for first generation the best to use? - Descale for First Generation Software

I really hope someone can help before I bite the bullet!!

Quote Originally Posted by inorog View Post
    You should start to worry when the slime at the bottom of the tank comes out and makes you a coffee... and make it better than you would. :P

Groan

Quote Originally Posted by Juliannikki View Post
    Hey guys! I have a Breville dual boiler the 920 with descale option.

It's a first generation software (serial number in the 1400's) and it's just come up for descale after a few years of owning. I know there are issues with these models. It's never been in for a service so it still uses the older software, etc ....

How do I not kill it? Does the updated steps for descale stop the thermal fuse from blowing and/or the boiler elements going?

I want to descale it but I don't want to essentially brick it. Am I better taking it to a Breville service provider or will the updated descale steps work?

Also ... Are the steps on the US website for first generation the best to use? - Descale for First Generation Software

I really hope someone can help before I bite the bullet!!
    Call Breville. I'm pretty sure they have to update the firmware before you can descale it without killing it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrayon View Post
    I have just upgraded from a BES900 to a BES920 and am wondering what tips and tricks anyone has, and also a few questions now that I have set it up and done my first pour.

Double basket - seems to be bigger. I used to grind 16g into the BES900 but the same amount in the 920 PF seems to leave more empty space at the top of the basket. This is just an observation.

PF fits a lot tighter
    - with the double basket on the PF I can barely reach the 90deg mark on the group. Is this a bedding-in issue?
    - Should I just leave it at 80deg?
    - What damage could I do if I overtighten?

Basket seating
    - Baskets on the 900 sat flush with the edge of the PF but the lips on the baskets on the 920 seem to sit about 0.5-1.0mm above the edge of the PF. Is this normal?

Naked PF
    - I have the naked PF from the first batch that were made for the BES900. The BES920 basket is a very very tight fit into the PF, and subsequently the PF into the group is also a tight fit. Do I have anything to worry about?

Descaling
    - I'm really glad to be able to descale the machine. Was thinking of a 6 monthly descale routine. What is everyone else doing?

Thoughts? Any other 'gotchas' I should keep an eye out for? Any adjustments I should be making different to factory settings?

Cheers.
    I had the exact same experience, and questions. I had the BES900 for 5 years. Did anyone ever answer your questions?

Also, in my new machine, the water filter has been completely redesigned. It's more like a "Brita"-sytle tall plastic filter, instead of the original pod style.

[QUOTE=mrpcs7;634288]I had the exact same experience, and questions. I had the BES900 for 5 years. Did anyone ever answer your questions?

Having had a 920 for a year or so, I can help with two-

PF: On the 920, you have too much in the PF. Most people seem to report needing at least 11 grams/single and 20 for a double shot. The leveller Breville include in the box will tell you if you have too much in the PF, any higher than it and the PF will bind (stop) before you reach 90 degrees. If this means you get too much flow, you will need to tighten your grind.

Tip: The single basket is an easy-knock type which generally causes the puck to the screen when you remove the PF handle. I find a second twist before removal takes it out each time, but the slightest tap on the manual (or any) button drops it off also. You can solve this by using a vertical walled single basket, such as one of VST's 58mm ones)

Descaling: If the tap-water in your area is hard, or full of minerals, particularly calcium, you need to descale. In these areas, it takes decades for a kettle, (and thus coffee machines) to become scaled.

With a 920, the problem is their software. Breville has had 3 iterations so far, and upgrades machines when they come in for service. Each has a different procedure on their site, but which one you choose depends on the 'batch code' of your unit, and if it's software has already been updated, you may end up using the wrong one anyhow.

I just descaled mine (but I really didn't want to.- I just got sick of the LCD nagging me. What a mistake. I made sure I followed Breville's procedure for my 2017 machine (3rd gen software) and the steam boiler packed up. Now the steamer doesn't work (3 beeps) and having read up on all the forums it looks like the element's thermal protection fuse has tripped. There is a thermistor as well, but it provides feedback to the microcontroller, as it cannot be relied upon to measure well enough when there is no water in the boiler.

An apparently, if this fuse has blown, the unit has to go back for warranty repair, or have a new fuse installed. If the element is blown, the boiler has to be replaced.

Doing either requires pulling out the entire boiler- which isn't a simple task even once the machine is opened for surgery.

Great. There had to be something about this machine that was bad. They really need to prevent the boiler running out of water during the descale. I wouldn't want to be the test manager that signed off on the damn thing, having to deal with such a high failure rate arising from just the de-scale process must be a big problem for them. And I say that as the instructions show the problem, 3 versions, 3 procedures, having to find the batch number which isn't described as a batch number up in the darkest corner right inside the back once the tank is removed... ugh!

Not to mention the guts of the procedure itself: It really isn't so hard to follow, but it is- they return to prior steps, and added separate points about not scalding yourself in each (so multiple times, when it is actually quite hard to do), so it is really very unlikely that anyone can avoid mixing the Gen 3 steps up.

I would def recommend NEVER using the de-scale function. If you have hard-water, be ready to buy a new boiler after doing the de-scale procedures, jic it happens. What a shame, the only thing bad about this unit had to be that it damn well BRICKS itself.

I've had my BES920 now for just over two years. This week the "Descale" warning appeared. I live in Sydney and the water seems soft here, plus I only use filtered water, so I doubt there would be any scale build up in the boilers. Anyways I was sick of seeing that warning message, so did the descale process last night ... it took 2 hours in the end! Definitely not straight forward and after all that I was pretty sure my boilers were clear of any scale before I even started because the descale solution came out clear after the 20 minutes of soaking in there.

Fortunately my machine came back to life after the descale process and so far it is working as per normal. The only problem however is that the "descale" reminder still keeps showing up when powering up the machine .... for some reason it didn't reset after the descale.

So how do I reset/remove the warning? Also does anyone know usually how the machine knows when to descale .... is based on the number of shots and water hardness?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzymc View Post
    The only problem however is that the "descale" reminder still keeps showing up when powering up the machine .... for some reason it didn't reset after the descale.

So how do I reset/remove the warning? Also does anyone know usually how the machine knows when to descale .... is based on the number of shots and water hardness?
    For some reason the message hand around for a while sometimes. The first rescale I did was after about a year and it took a couple of months to disappear. The next time it appeared I descaled and then it was gone straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    For some reason the message hand around for a while sometimes. The first rescale I did was after about a year and it took a couple of months to disappear. The next time it appeared I descaled and then it was gone straight away.
    Actually I did a factory reset and changed the hard water setting to like 2, but the Descale message was still there. A while later I tried another reset but this time changed the hard water setting to 1 and after I did that the message disappeared.

Update: The day after doing the de-scale procedure and having the steam boiler stop working, the machine worked properly again. Yay!!!

I tried resets, changing hard water settings, etc. clearly it has to cool right down, and after being unplugged all night it worked again. It looks like the element protection fuse is a thermal one which resets itself only if really cool for a while.

Great to have the machine working again though... and the de-scale warning gone. @level3nija, if you don't complete the procedure completely, the warning may remain on. Are you sure you got every step of the procedure right for your unit's batch code?

But oh my, what a royal PITA that was. Esp as I was aware of the potential troubles and followed the correct procedure.

BTW: The de-scale procedure will not end until you press the power button in the last step. If you press the one cup button because you get used to doing this, it will repeat the flush process- so prolong the already very long procedure.

After doing my descale on a v3 software, I got the same 3 beeps. I left it for 15 mins and all was good. If I turn my machine on and let it get to 93deg, if Iím to quick I get the 3 beeps as the boiler isnít up to temp.

Lightbulb A detailed descale procedure (and an experience doing the procedure)

First, my apologies for the length of my first post to the CoffeeSnobs forums (it's an instruction guide, and I hope you find it informative for descaling ).

I've owned my BES920 dual boiler for just over a year now (purchased May 2017), and just did my first descale a week or so ago. After headaches, almost one or two rage quits, a great amount of trepidation, and a phone call to a frigging awesome individual from a repair shop in QLD, I successfully descaled my machine without issue! Breville were more than useless in this process, they didn't know their machine particularly well when I called them, before reaching the individual from the repair shop who will henceforth be known as Ďthe guruí (for reasons that prevent them from being inundated with distressed, well-meaning callers).

I wanted to provide a run through on how I did it, in the hope that it might help someone else who gets into my position too.

I followed the instructions that Breville included in the box, and the ones that Breville sent to me by email after I called them and explained my issue, however they weren't updated for the software version that I have. Getting into descale mode was the same for previous firmware versions (let your machine cool for an hour if you have used it, and then press and hold the one-cup button, and then press the power button whilst holding the one-cup button, then scrolling through to descale (dESC I think), and selecting it).

I have the latest firmware, and this changes things (i.e. the button that lights up, and what the LCD panel shows). In the instructions I had, the LCD reads PUSH, and the manual button lights up. On my firmware, the LCD panel is lit up, but blank, and the one-cup button is lit, not the manual button. This is one of the changes with the latest firmware. Pressing the one-cup button starts the descale process, simple I know, but I didn't want to do anything at first as it was different from the manual (sigh).

Anyway, here are some pointers/instructions that I hope helps with Breville's slightly 'lack of informationary' instructions:

*** (IMPORTANT) ***
    1. After the 1 hour of cooling, when opening the boilers (first, the right screw for the steam wand boiler, then the left screw for the espresso boiler), turn the screws very, very slowly (* itís INTEGRAL that you do this after the second and third boiler flushes, when the pressure is highest, but start from the first ). After the second boiler empty (after the descale has been run through, as you have emptied the boilers once already after the cool down process), if you turn the screws quickly, especially on the steam wand boiler (i.e. right screw), you can blow the fuse and element if turning too quickly. The guru said this was the main culprit with those buggered boilers after descaling, in his experience. Just go slowly, gently, caressingly, enjoy the moment.

Also, you are going to do THREE (read 3) flushes in total during descale. The first is the descale solution. And the next two is just water. This should solve you poor peeps not being able to get out of descale mode after powering back on (again, another piece of advice from the guru). The machine is waiting for the process to run 3 times.

*** /(IMPORTANT) ***

2. I used a liquid descale solution, which uses a 1:10 mix (100mL of solution to 1L of water). I happened to find mine from The Good Guys in QLD (not a plug, just a FYI in case you hunt for one yourself in a brick-and-mortar store instead of online).

2. (a) The guru let me know that each descale run of 20 minutes uses approximately 1 litre of liquid (and remove your water filter from the tank too, of course). The manual states to fill the water reservoir to max, which is about 2.5 litres. You waste descale solution by filling it to the max line. The guru suggested filling a bit over 1L just in case, and I filled to 1300mL (using about 120mL of descale solution), and it left about 100mL or so of liquid (I didn't measure it) after each flush.

3. Press that lit-up manual or one-cup button to start descaling, and once you start the descale, set a timer for 20 minutes if you plan to walk away from it. It doesn't beep or anything when it finishes, it's a silent bloody ninja. After finishing, the screen is blank again (or reads PUSH, I assume) and the manual or one-cup button is lit up. ***IMPORTANT*** When opening the boilers, turn the right screw for the steam wand very slowly (you don't want to blow anything). It will start to hiss, and sploosh, and then it's all over rather quickly (a bit anticlimactic really). Then do the same for the left screw. It won't make as much of a to-do. Make sure you have your towel over the tray unless you have asbestos hands. Do it anyway, just in case, as the water and steam are of course very hot. Remove the drip tray after the all of the water has drained (you should see that it stops flowing after a short while).

4. Remove the tank, and empty the remaining descale water from it, and then rinse it thoroughly (even get in there with a sponge, maybe a little detergent, and get that descale solution, and its smell, out). I neglected this step and did a whole new descale process with just water as it was smelling a little too 'descaley' for my liking.

5. Press the one-cup button (or manual button, for you old skool peeps) to start the next descale for 20 minutes. (* You are going to do this for a third time after this, the machine is configured to do 3 flushes, 1 with descale solution, and 2 with just water).

6. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 (*slowly open those screws!), and give the water tank another rinse/wash, whatever floats your boat. Fill it back up with 1300mL of water, and pop it back in.

6 (a). Get your new filter ready (soak for the last 5 minutes of the 20 minute descale).

7. After your third and last flush, you will be back to a blank LCD and manual/one-cup button, same as the previous times. Now, pop your soaked filter in, fill up the tank with clean water TO THE MAX, and pop it back in. Just press the power button at this stage, and it will start back up. All things going well, and it 'should' be at this stage, your machine will heat back up to 93 degrees. **Note, you will probably get 3 beeps on the steam wand when you impatiently activate it after its heated up (okay, maybe thatís just me). This means the steam wand boiler is still heating. Wait 5 minutes and give it another go, and it should be full steam ahead (ha, see, I make funny!).

I hope that this post is informative, and thorough, and a good accompaniment to the manual, forum posts, and YouTube videos, that show this process.
    llama and inorog like this.

The above post has been copied to the Documentation area to make it easy to find going forward.

Java "Ease of use" phile
    inorog and peterborthwick like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

dan
    i've had my 920 for over 3 years now, went back under waranty for water leaks pretty early on (o rings) and i've had to replace the O rings a few times in the meantime as well but otherwise been a great machine

my current scenario is this:
    Fire machine up cold, hits 93deg, have shot ready to go, give it a quick prime holding the 2 cup button, (just what i always do) slip the group handle in, slide cup/scales in and hit manual till the job is done, no problems right

Then comes holding the 2 cup button to rinse the shower screen, machine makes a horrible groan/cavitating pump maybe/ higher pitched bad noise in short, so much so that if you were going to make a 2nd coffee straight away, it doesnt build pressure, gets up to maybe 2 or 3 bar max and just flutters around,

If you leave it sitting idle too long before use, the above happens.

Steam wand still works fine

pump seems healthy enough, as even when its washing the shower screen and making that horrible noise, you can still use the hot water outlet and eveything sounds fine, and to me, a shower screen rinse/filling a cup with hot water for tea would be same same stresses/pressures on pump,

I have only descaled it probably once a year, but do regular clean cycles with the tablet in the group head, i only use filtered rain water.

This morning the wife went to make a coffee on her way to work and had it sitting too long before she made coffee, and had to leave with none

i fired it up 1h later, made a coffee no problems as per above description, i am about to fire it up and make another one, and i expect will end up with a trouble free coffee.

I rang Breville today to see if i could get some kind of service manual or talk to a tech etc, no deal.

just wondering if i should be looking at a pump, or some kind of solenoid replacement, hopefully one of you has had a similar issue that can chime in and save me throwing the wrong parts at it to get it back to being normal

if anyone that is reading this needs more info to make a determination let me know what you need

Thanks

dan
    Ok tracked it down to this solenoid, went for a drive and cosmorex had by coincidence had one arrive in stock this morning,

Installed it

Problem solved.
    jcrayon and inorog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpcs7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrayon
    I have just upgraded from a BES900 to a BES920 and am wondering what tips and tricks anyone has, and also a few questions now that I have set it up and done my first pour.

Double basket - seems to be bigger. I used to grind 16g into the BES900 but the same amount in the 920 PF seems to leave more empty space at the top of the basket. This is just an observation.

PF fits a lot tighter
    - with the double basket on the PF I can barely reach the 90deg mark on the group. Is this a bedding-in issue?
    - Should I just leave it at 80deg?
    - What damage could I do if I overtighten?

Basket seating
    - Baskets on the 900 sat flush with the edge of the PF but the lips on the baskets on the 920 seem to sit about 0.5-1.0mm above the edge of the PF. Is this normal?

Naked PF
    - I have the naked PF from the first batch that were made for the BES900. The BES920 basket is a very very tight fit into the PF, and subsequently the PF into the group is also a tight fit. Do I have anything to worry about?

Descaling
    - I'm really glad to be able to descale the machine. Was thinking of a 6 monthly descale routine. What is everyone else doing?

Thoughts? Any other 'gotchas' I should keep an eye out for? Any adjustments I should be making different to factory settings?
    I had the exact same experience, and questions. I had the BES900 for 5 years. Did anyone ever answer your questions?

Also, in my new machine, the water filter has been completely redesigned. It's more like a "Brita"-sytle tall plastic filter, instead of the original pod style.
    Answers to my own questions, now having had the BES920 for a couple of weeks.

Yep, basket is bigger. Used the 'razor' levelling tool to help set volume, then adjusted grind size to achieve pour time. Now using 20-21g of beans in a double.

PF fits a lot tighter
    Even after using the leveller to ensure the PF is not overfilled, it is still pretty tight going on, however this has become easier over time so I think it is just bedding in.

Basket seating - Baskets on the 900 sat flush with the edge of the PF but the lips on the baskets on the 920 seem to sit about 0.5-1.0mm above the edge of the PF. Is this normal?

Now that I am less concerned about the tightness of the PF fit, I am also less concerned about the way lip of the basket sits a little above the rim of the PF. Everything seals well.

Naked PF - I have the naked PF from the first batch that were made for the BES900. The BES920 basket is a very very tight fit into the PF, and subsequently the PF into the group is also a tight fit. Do I have anything to worry about?

The tight fit of the PF into the group head was due the original BES900 naked portafilter does not have a notch where the handle of the PF meets the basket holder. This naked PF does not work with the BES920. However a recently purchased BES920 naked PF should work just fine with the BES900. According to other threads, the only difference between the PFs is the notch.

Descaling
    As noted in comments above, descaling looks like it could have issues. I really appreciate the methods and comments above! I will wait until the Descale message appears on the display before doing any descaling activities.

Water Filter
    Yes, the water filter on the BES920 is quite different to the BES900. The BES900 filters cannot be used in a BES920.
    BOR15 likes this.

Referring to a couple of posts back in the #2150s range:

I am pretty confident that Australian consumer law does not specify any warranty period (I would look it up if on my real computer). It talks about consumer rights to products and services being as described, to a reasonable standard. Manufacturer warranties can only add to this. Warranty extensions which do not add to rights are worthless.

Hey d0sr,

I was given a machine with the dreaded 3 beeps steam , it is certainly a task to remover the steam boiler, I wish there were some instructions , "somewhere" but eventually got there!, thermal cut out fuse on side of boiler was defo open circuit and while there also tested the element for continuity, seems ok , on my machine the fuse is 250v 10amp and 167c, jaycar only have 157c and 216c amongst others. I am going to try an replace fuse tonite, looks like they have to be crimped due to soldering maybe destroying fuse on install, will let all know how it goes! I will also never use the descale program in the machine. btw my machine is out of warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Holger73 View Post
    Hey d0sr,

I was given a machine with the dreaded 3 beeps steam , it is certainly a task to remover the steam boiler, I wish there were some instructions , "somewhere" but eventually got there!, thermal cut out fuse on side of boiler was defo open circuit and while there also tested the element for continuity, seems ok , on my machine the fuse is 250v 10amp and 167c, jaycar only have 157c and 216c amongst others. I am going to try an replace fuse tonite, looks like they have to be crimped due to soldering maybe destroying fuse on install, will let all know how it goes! I will also never use the descale program in the machine. btw my machine is out of warranty.

There are instructions but they're for service agents only. It certainly is a mission, one of the most hateful jobs to have to do.

You don't solder thermal fuses as the constant heat can break down the solder at a rapid rate. You can just use a crimp sleeve to join the wire to the fuse lead.
    Make sure the complete assembly is short enough to fit within the white insulation sleeve, this may require shortening of the fuse leads to fit.
    Holger73 likes this.

on my machine the fuse is 250v 10amp and 167c, jaycar only have 157c and 216c amongst others

RS have 167 oC fuses, their part number 797-6052
    BOR15 and Holger73 like this.

I’ve fallen behind in this thread, but I recall some frustration at finding the plastic group collar last time I was visiting here. There is a USA store that has them for under $4 USD. I’m sure post would be no fun, but maybe better than the bin?

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/co...p-1810640.html

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    This is with the cheapest option.

For that you should have ordered two. The post would have been about the same as for one, I reckon...

Anyhow...

Thought the diy’ers here might be interested to know that the o-ring servicing might become a thing of the past for newer BDBs. I just received a brand new -920 from Breville USA repair or replace program. My five year old BDB stopped pre infusing and they couldn’t fix it so they replaced. It was built in February 2018. Now the steam boiler has the tubes held in by proper threaded 15mm tubing nuts instead of wire clips. I took one off for a bit of a look. No o-rings. Very solid looking. Breville is clearly responding to known weaknesses.

Also, in response to the plastic group collars that wear out, the group has now has four screws facing downwards around the rim of the group so those plastic collars can be changed easily without opening up the machine.

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    For that you should have ordered two. The post would have been about the same as for one, I reckon...

-Peter
    I didnít order, just wanted a look at shipping. It goes to $22US for 5

Also my unit is a 1641 build and has the 4 screws on it

Hi all

I've had a 920 for a couple of years. First descale fine, latest attempts only half way thru. Steam wand now hisses unless i set it just right.
    Volumetric hasn't worked reliabky for a year or more, and presoaking never hits any pressure.

Anyway, decided might end up cheaper to buy a new one for 790 from HN. Than get it repaired.

New one going back tomorrow and old one for repair.

New one no better at volumetric, but most annoyingly powers off completely after 20 minutes. How stupid is that..... it even turned off in the middle of a steaming. It takes 5 minutes to warm up.. old one stayed on longer and warmed the coffee cups up as well, and stayed on for multiple coffees.

I tried the descale again on the old one and still valv errors. Tried some other workarounds and now have Err 2 permanently. So its off to the repairers....

Ive had 3 sunbeam em6910 or equiv and two still working and producing better coffee than the bes920. Thought the dual boiler would be better. Its quieter for steaming, but apart from that everything else seems worse and less consistent.

Dont think I'll be Breville anymore.

Re ^^^ A couple of things.

Do the Sunbeam machines have a descaling function/cycle thay is controlled by the machine, like the -920? Or is it more manual and up to the user to handle descaling? I have a brand new -920 after having had a -900 since late 2011. I use scale-free water, so I never had to descale. I continue to use scale-free water in my new -920. I hope I don't get annoying messages from it. I don't want to have to deal with irritation over scale messages when I have no scale.

Re volumetrics... Do the Sunbeams do a better job? Most of the coffee shops I go to with professional machines either don't have volumetrics, don't use the volumetrics if they do have it, or if they do use it, the barista is constantly pulling test shots, tasting, dumping, adjusting and pulling another. I never use volumetric myself either.

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 6th August 2018 at 08:28 AM.

Hello friends - does anyone know where I can find a reasonably priced (I.e sub $100) naked portafilter for the bes920? Iíve looked extensively online and the cheapest I can find is about $150! Found one on amazon but they no longer ship to Australia. The amazon Australia site retails the same item for $220!

HEY Noidle22,

what a mission, if I could post pics I would , i have plenty of the process, it took a little while for the steam boiler pump to prime so hand filled thru the pressure release valve with a syringe, everything came up to temp following thermal cut out fuse repair and she started blowing steam , although there now a constant gurgly/bubly boiling sound when at rest but does pull a good coffee ane way better milk than my little 800 which has been a trooper, thanks guys for the help! funny how a $2 part fixes it all on this occasion, happy to help others with the process also!
    BOR15 likes this.

HEY Noidle22,

what a mission, if I could post pics I would , i have plenty of the process, it took a little while for the steam boiler pump to prime so hand filled thru the pressure release valve with a syringe, everything came up to temp following thermal cut out fuse repair and she started blowing steam , although there now a constant gurgly/bubly boiling sound when at rest but does pull a good coffee ane way better milk than my little 800 which has been a trooper, thanks guys for the help! funny how a $2 part fixes it all on this occasion, happy to help others with the process also!
    Pics would be awesome when you can
    Holger73 likes this.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Hi Bes920 owners

Anyone had issue with the light for the water level gauge? Mines started to sometimes work, sometimes not...and find it had to see water level when itís out.

Wondering if it could be a quick fix, not sure itís worth taking in for repair for that alone.... ( not that I wish anything else to break to justify repairs)

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by thecafeninja View Post
    Hello friends - does anyone know where I can find a reasonably priced (I.e sub $100) naked portafilter for the bes920? I’ve looked extensively online and the cheapest I can find is about $150! Found one on amazon but they no longer ship to Australia. The amazon Australia site retails the same item for $220!
    I had the same problem finding one a couple years back and eventually rang Breville directly. Their website said they had none but it turns out they did. I paid $87 including delivery. Bargain! Perhaps give them a call, you might get lucky.
    thecafeninja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesimusix View Post
    I had the same problem finding one a couple years back and eventually rang Breville directly. Their website said they had none but it turns out they did. I paid $87 including delivery. Bargain! Perhaps give them a call, you might get lucky.
    Thanks Iíll give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by thecafeninja View Post
    Thanks Iíll give it a go!
    Tell us how your night go. For that price I would get one also

Try out west coffee in nth Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by BOR15 View Post
    Pics would be awesome when you can
    How do I post pics?

I just purchased a 920 here in Canada and I am having trouble with the water sensor. Specifically, the water sensor light blinks and will not let me proceed with the initial startup sequence. In my eagerness to try my first shot from my new machine, I foolishly forgot to mineralize our municipal water, which is extremely soft. I had the same trouble in my previous machine, an NS Oscar, which was solved by adding a bit of noniodized salt to the water tank and then never letting the tank go completely empty. I’ve emptied the soft water from the 920, let it dry out for over 24 hours (including pressing the valve on the tank to get the water out of the valve itself and letting the filter dry out as well.) I put in a combination of baking sofa and Epsom salts to mineralize our municipal water by the method I found on YouTube from Wholelatte love and tried again and got the same result—the low water light blinks and I cannot proceed with the initial startup sequence. My question is: is there a way to bypass the sensor without opening the machine up? I am ready to ship the machine back to the seller if I cannot solve this.
    Thanks!
    T2

Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast