Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647
Results 2,301 to 2,350 of 2350
Like Tree464Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Great Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Matt12345 View Post
    Great Cheers
    Use it sparingly. It is there only to fill the air gap. So donít be spreading it like Nutella

Hi All,

Just purchased a BES920 + grinder.
    Taking things slow.
    Currently setting up, followed the procedure for the water hardness strip and got this result.
    Not sure what it means, looks like a setting of 1 for the machine?

Eyes are not what they used to be.
    I am located in Melbourne, and I have been told the water is soft.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BOR15 View Post
    Use it sparingly. It is there only to fill the air gap. So don’t be spreading it like Nutella
    So, spread it like Vegemite instead?

-Peter

Melbourne water is not hard so set it to 1

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    So, spread it like Vegemite instead?

-Peter
    Depends. How much do you like vegemite?

The idea of heat sink compound is that no 2 surfaces are perfectly flat unless yo lap them like in my old days. It is there to fill the tiniest of air gaps between the 2 surfaces. The pics I see have 3 components that need it. Half a grain of rice on each will be enough.

And before youíre a shit and ask short grain or long. We are talking short grain 🤪
    mattyj73350 likes this.

Jasmine rice or brown rice?
    BOR15 likes this.

Breville BES920

Hi all,
    My trusty Sunbeam died today. It started tripping the power circuit in the house whenever it was turned on. I've been secretly praying for its death for a while now.
    A friend recommended the Breville BES920 as a replacement. I note the model is reasonably old now, this thread was started 5 years ago.
    General advice sought. Are they still a good buy for home use?
    I can possibly get one for $888, is that a good price?
    Do I risk getting a machine that might have limited supply of spare parts beyond 10 years from the models release? Sunbeam (I had two of them) seemed to stop supplying basic parts like grouphead seals after a decade.
    Thanks

Jon
    Last edited by 657658765; 13th September 2018 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 657658765 View Post
    Hi all,
    My trusty Sunbeam died today. It started tripping the power circuit in the house whenever it was turned on. I've been secretly praying for its death for a while now.
    A friend recommended the Breville BES920 as a replacement. I note the model is reasonably old now, this thread was started 5 years ago.
    General advice sought. Are they still a good buy for home use?
    I can possibly get one for $888, is that a good price?
    Do I risk getting a machine that might have limited supply of spare parts beyond 10 years from the models release? Sunbeam ( had two of them) seemed to stop supplying basic parts like grouped seals after a decade.
    Thanks

Jon
    Definitely good bang for your buck. If you want it to last you five + years I would get the ext warranty and you will definitely get your money's worth on it.
    Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by 657658765 View Post
    Hi all,
    My trusty Sunbeam died today. It started tripping the power circuit in the house whenever it was turned on.

Jon
    Not to confound you by bowling a spinner at you after you've already made up your mind, but tripping the power circuit in the house is a common problem with an easy and nearly free fix with the Breville Dual Boiler, too. I had the problem myself. What happens is some o-rings on the top of the steam boiler wear out and stop sealing. Then steam gets out and wets a control board just above it and tripping power circuits or runaway heating happens. The good news is, it usually goes away when the the board dries out. But you must replace to the worn o-rings with fresh ones or it will happen again. Fortunately, that job is relatively easy the first time, and even easier still, the second time. The o-rings are the common #007 size. In the USA they are $10 for 100 of them, which includes the cost of delivery, from Amazon or eBay. If you live near in a big city, you could surely find them and not have to buy 100 of them either. An auto parts supplier might have them as well, in Viton, which should be good for a couple of years or so. It's a fact of life even with Breville. Parts will wear out and require replacement. And fortunately, the ones that wear out tend to be easily replaced, without tearing apart the whole machine.

I don't know anything about the Sunbeams, but if it is the same problem that afflicts the Breville's it's an easy fix. Not trying to talk you out of a Breville, I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I'd hate to have you spend a bunch of money on a new machine if it wasn't necessary, unless you really had your heart set on it.

-Peter

Sorry to jump on this thread but I'm in the UK and trying to source these o rings. I did read that the size for these were 1/8ID X 1/4. Could anyone confirm the size as this size is 006 and not 007 what is 5/32 ID x 9/32.
    Many thanks.

I have only ever used #007. IOW, I'm not just passing on someone else's info. I've actually done this myself. Several times. This is non-precision work, so #006 could easily work as well. I would worry that with less "rubber", a #006 might wear out a little faster. But not by much. If you already have #006 o-rings, go ahead and use them.

-Peter

I have only ever used #007. IOW, I'm not just passing on someone else's info. I've actually done this myself. Several times. This is non-precision work, so #006 could easily work as well. I would worry that with less "rubber", a #006 might wear out a little faster. But not by much. If you already have #006 o-rings, go ahead and use them.

-Peter
    Cheers Pete. Havent got them yet so will get some bs007.

Not to confound you by bowling a spinner at you after you've already made up your mind, but tripping the power circuit in the house is a common problem with an easy and nearly free fix with the Breville Dual Boiler, too. I had the problem myself. What happens is some o-rings on the top of the steam boiler wear out and stop sealing. Then steam gets out and wets a control board just above it and tripping power circuits or runaway heating happens. The good news is, it usually goes away when the the board dries out. But you must replace to the worn o-rings with fresh ones or it will happen again. Fortunately, that job is relatively easy the first time, and even easier still, the second time. The o-rings are the common #007 size. In the USA they are $10 for 100 of them, which includes the cost of delivery, from Amazon or eBay. If you live near in a big city, you could surely find them and not have to buy 100 of them either. An auto parts supplier might have them as well, in Viton, which should be good for a couple of years or so. It's a fact of life even with Breville. Parts will wear out and require replacement. And fortunately, the ones that wear out tend to be easily replaced, without tearing apart the whole machine.

I don't know anything about the Sunbeams, but if it is the same problem that afflicts the Breville's it's an easy fix. Not trying to talk you out of a Breville, I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I'd hate to have you spend a bunch of money on a new machine if it wasn't necessary, unless you really had your heart set on it.

-Peter
    Thanks, and it has crossed my mind to seek a fix because I understand the benefits of repairing over new resource consumption. I have tried to source parts for it recently, including to stop the steam wand from dripping water all the time the machine is turned but supply of them is limited.
    That's what led to my "I've been secretly praying for its death for a while now."

Thanks to those who responded. I managed to get the item shipped to a local store for pick up (for that price). Doubt I'll find a better deal than that.
    Looking forward to it.
    BOR15 likes this.

Hi everyone,

I have had my BES920 for a few days now, and it has not been without problems.

The problems have been me not the machine.
    I read a lot of post trying to find out correct settings and why I could do a great shot with "x" settings, then the next time under extract big time.
    I started a spreadsheet on settings to get to the bottom of the problems, adjusted one thing at a time, and I was getting nowhere.
    Bought some kitchen scales as well. it was a good excuse.

None of my settings were working,
    First shot good, next one bad.

Firstly, I need to apologise to all the "naked portafilter" owners out there, I thought it was a bit of a wank.
    Did not realise that it helps you with setting up your machine. I am sorry, thinking about buying one now.

My problem was with the new grinder and 58mm portafilter that the BES920 comes with.
    The grinder makes no mess when filling, so I did not shake it while it was filling. Just tamp it and put in it in the group head.
    My last machine (BES860) had a smaller portafilter and because of that I would shake the crap out of it while it was filling from the grinder to stop grinds going everywhere( it used to overfill a bit).

I did not realise that by doing this I was preventing channeling in the puck.

As soon as I started to shake the portafilter while filling, tap and tamp the portafilter after filling, I started to get perfect shots( or close enough to it).

I thought I would post this to stop other people from going down the same path.
    Especially the people out there like me, who have upgraded from the BES860 or some other smaller portafilter machine.

Wasted nearly 500g of home roasted fresh beans, nearly had to buy store beans(phew!).

I am a happy man now.

The Murphs.
    Galan, inorog, level3ninja and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJoeJackson View Post
    I think the wifi switch also wouldn't work with the dual boiler as you physically have to press a soft switch to turn this on. You can't leave it switched on, on the machine but off at the power point the soft switch would lose its state
    I managed to build a HomeKit (Homebridge) Wifi Switch for my Breville BES920 so I can turn it on remotely at or away from home. Was a bit of a mission, but almost identical to these instructions. The result is great. Just linked up the GPIO to the power button inside the machine instead of the 5V door release. Taking the machine apart was easy enough and the instrument panel is pretty easy to get to. I soldered some lead wires in and then slotted them through the silicone material to keep the moisture out.

You need a little Raspberry Pi Zero W, some wires, a GPIO header, an optocoupler and some basic homebridge coding. I used the homebridge-cmd trigger plugin and wiringpi using these instructions. Make sure your homebridge user has permissions to control GPIO.
    ruslah likes this.

Neat!
    You are partway to a dream I've had for a while now... Some whizz bang tecchie to replace the factory control board with an open source, programmable board.

Ok, maybe you've just put a foot in the door. But that's more than almost anyone else has done. :thumbsup:

-Peter

I've had my BES920 and SmartgrinderPro for a couple of months now, and couldn't be happier; heats up much quicker than I thought it would (according to previous comments), seems well put-together, and is quiet. The steaming wand does a great job too.
    AndrewN and BOR15 like this.

I recently had my 920 serviced under warranty. O-rings were replaced per report. Now my unitís hot water dispenser has developed a slow drip. How can I repair this?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mskreis View Post
    I recently had my 920 serviced under warranty. O-rings were replaced per report. Now my unit’s hot water dispenser has developed a slow drip. How can I repair this?

Mark
    I have not done this repair, as I have not had to. BUT I believe the hot water tap is a needle and seat arrangement. It is normal for needle and seat to wear, with use. The simple fix is to replace it. But if the part is not available, or is too expensive, over in the La Pavoni community (where I also play, we have had luck putting soft but dense plastic covers over the needle, the kind that powder coaters put over screw threads that they don't want coated. These will need periodic replacement of course, but they seal well with just a little tightening, which also prolongs their life.

-Peter
    inorog likes this.

So, following up on my queries about the old and new filters. I have the "new" model with the Claris Swiss filter but had bought some of the "old" filters not knowing the difference.

After the posts here saying the old filter housing one should/does fit the new machine I purchased one on ebay and it finally arrived. I does sort of fit into the water tank but I'm not sure its 100% - the connectors on the bottom of the old and new look very different. I haven't been able to test it because the top of the housing protrudes 2 to 3 cms over the top of the water tank making it impossible to close into the machine with the old filter holder fitted.

I'm interested how those of you who said they were compatible overcame this? I could just cut off the top (losing the "date reminder") but I've not seen anyone else mentioning they've had to do this. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by troels; 25th September 2018 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by troels View Post
    So, following up on my queries about the old and new filters. I have the "new" model with the Claris Swiss filter but had bought some of the "old" filters not knowing the difference.

After the posts here saying the old filter housing one should/does fit the new machine I purchased one on ebay and it finally arrived. I does sort of fit into the water tank but I'm not sure its 100% - the connectors on the bottom of the old and new look very different. I haven't been able to test it because the top of the housing protrudes 2 to 3 cms over the top of the water tank making it impossible to close into the machine with the old filter holder fitted.

I'm interested how those of you who said they were compatible overcame this? I could just cut off the top (losing the "date reminder") but I've not seen anyone else mentioning they've had to do this. Am I missing something?
    I have the new style filter on a brand new -920. And I did this very thing... Cut the top off. It seems to work perfectly. And I don't care about the reminder, because I use scale-free water anyway. I just have the filter for... well... filtration, not softening.

-Peter

I have the new style filter on a brand new -920. And I did this very thing... Cut the top off. It seems to work perfectly.
    -Peter
    Thanks, was really just looking for validation that someone else had done it. I've chopped mine off too now!

Continuing on from post #2288
    Finally got the parts today, installed a new NTC sensor in the main boiler and fired it up. Temp went straight past the default set of 93 deg.
    Messed about for a bit, resetting temp, letting it cool down, switching back on etc to no avail.
    Replaced the Triac PCB and it is now behaving itself - have a stable 93 deg - and coffee!!!!
    Noticed the steam pressure seemed very weak, barely splashing the milk when wand is pulled out (after being on for 15 minutes).
    Checked wand nozzle (clean & holes clear). Set steam temp to 140 (from 135) - better but still not brilliant - maybe as good as it gets.
    Thanks for all the great information everyone.
    Cheers David

Do you reckon your triac pcp got stuffed up from being wetted down by leaky steam boiler o-rings? Because this is what happened with mine, and many others... Only... after the triac pcb had a chance to dry out, it behaved normally again... IOW I (we) didn't have to replace it. Your case sounds a little unusual unless your triac PCB had a congenital fault that was going to lead to failure one day anyway.

As to milk steaming, some people have done tests for time to steam xx volume of milk. you might have to ask around here a bit, but for your own peace of mind, you might want to know if yours is behaving normally. I've just had my morning espresso (no milk) here in the USA. Later I will steam up a milk drink and report to you how long it took. then you can see if yours is in the ballpark. these BDB's are not known as hotrod steamers though. although the steam quality is high, so say the latte artists. i don't drink many milk drinks so I have less to report here.

ON EDIT: OK, couldn't resist... I just steamed up 125ml of milk from refrigerator temperature to slightly too hot, (fiddling with stopwatch), in 38 seconds at the default steam temperature of the machine.

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 4th October 2018 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David747 View Post
    Continuing on from post #2288
    Finally got the parts today, installed a new NTC sensor in the main boiler and fired it up. Temp went straight past the default set of 93 deg.
    Messed about for a bit, resetting temp, letting it cool down, switching back on etc to no avail.
    Replaced the Triac PCB and it is now behaving itself - have a stable 93 deg - and coffee!!!!
    Noticed the steam pressure seemed very weak, barely splashing the milk when wand is pulled out (after being on for 15 minutes).
    Checked wand nozzle (clean & holes clear). Set steam temp to 140 (from 135) - better but still not brilliant - maybe as good as it gets.
    Thanks for all the great information everyone.
    Cheers David
    That should not be the case. Make sure you have your steam temp turned all the way up. To do so go into the advanced menu options. This should hopefully help!

Hi All,
    I decided to do a project today while I am waiting for my LMLM to arrive. Pictures of the mods and results: https://imgur.com/a/7oz7xWb
    I think this was a pretty easy and a fun mod. I wanted to see how hard it was because I was debating between a DIY for the LMLM or buying this: https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/product/ ... nar-scale/
    level3ninja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eltakeiteasy View Post
    Hi All,
    I decided to do a project today while I am waiting for my LMLM to arrive. Pictures of the mods and results: https://imgur.com/a/7oz7xWb
    I think this was a pretty easy and a fun mod. I wanted to see how hard it was because I was debating between a DIY for the LMLM or buying this: https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/product/ ... nar-scale/
    Hi all,

I received quite a few PMs after posting this. Here is more info for those interested.

1. I did not buy any insert. The BDB has a hump and the lunar scale fits perfectly on there once you remove the empty me plastic flip.
    2. I did not cut out the entire area, but rather cut it about 1/3 of an inch then I bent it back to give it a clean even look.
    3. The scale is waterproof from the manufacturer so I did not have to do anything to scale. I did add a small piece of electrical tape over the charging port just to be safe.
    4. It's easy to move the scale in and out. I like to use the hot water hole to push it up.
    5. If you mess up, it's a $10-15 part from Breville so that's the only expense besides time.

Here are a few more pics to help those who would like to attempt this out:
    https://imgur.com/a/hBtQxzc

Hi there, I do not currently own a 920 but been looking at them! Found one on ebay through bravo coffee experts and its a refurbished machine with 6 months warranty on it for $595. My question is, is this machine worth grabbing? Should I find out how old it is? Or am I better waiting for them to come down in price new as I have seen some. Places ad for $710 but currently at $900+ new
    Thanks heaps

Filthy

Filthy I reckon you should save up more money and shoot really high. We both know you will end up with upgradits in a month or two if you buy the 920

Quote Originally Posted by Hughie View Post
    Filthy I reckon you should save up more money and shoot really high. We both know you will end up with upgradits in a month or two if you buy the 920
    I wish I could justify saving up and spending over 1k on a machine but unsure how life will go whether I stay in Aus or not
    That's why I was tempted to settle for something around the 5-600 mark as I currently have a sunbeam 6910 and have had this since I started my coffee journey
    Upgraded my grinder to a rancilio rocky over a sunbeam em0480
    Hughie likes this.

Hi there folks, I'm fairly new here but read a few posts saying service under warranty. I have my 920 since 04/16 so about 2.5 years old.
    I recently paid for service (Alexandria, Sydney) but am I entitled to a free service ? Or did you pay extra for this?
    Does a VST 22g basket work in a 920? Or could I get a 20g and push it to 22g?
    Cheers

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by husseyk View Post
    Hi there folks, I'm fairly new here but read a few posts saying service under warranty. I have my 920 since 04/16 so about 2.5 years old.
    I recently paid for service (Alexandria, Sydney) but am I entitled to a free service ? Or did you pay extra for this?
    What was the nature of the service work (i.e. what went wrong)?

Hey guys has anyone had any experience with swapping out the thermal fuse on the steam boiler. I have an old BES920 and after running the descale cycle the fuse blew and I get Err2 on the screen. Called Bravo repairs and they let me know that this is an issue with the older machines (essentially the machine turns on the heating element after you drain the steam boiler and blows its own fuse). I managed to get the part off Breville last week and am ready to swap it out. I can see the current fuse down towards the bottom of the steam boiler which is a pretty tricky area to get to. Pretty sure I have to pull most of the components out to get down there.

So before I begin I'm wondering if anyone has swapped this part before or has any experience pulling the steam boiler out.

Thanks in advance!

There's a significant chance other damage had been done in addition to the thermal fuse (stream boiler heating element, PCB)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    What was the nature of the service work (i.e. what went wrong)?
    It was just a general service, they replaced water filter and some of the internal rings etc, nothing was wrong per se.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    There's a significant chance other damage had been done in addition to the thermal fuse (stream boiler heating element, PCB)
    With any luck the fuse went before the element. I think the PCB is fine as I did manage to get the machine to boot fully one time and run until I switched it off (just had no steam). I doubt this is possible with a broken PCB.

Regardless I just want to give it a go. It it doesn't work then at least I tried. Plus it's a fun project. So yeah anyone ever pulled the steam boiler out? Tips? Photos? Video?

Hi all

Who has done a pump replacement on a 920? Any booby traps to look out for?

C

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by husseyk View Post
    It was just a general service, they replaced water filter and some of the internal rings etc, nothing was wrong per se.
    OK. Routine maintenance-type services are less likely to be covered under the statutory warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by greenc0102 View Post
    With any luck the fuse went before the element. I think the PCB is fine as I did manage to get the machine to boot fully one time and run until I switched it off (just had no steam). I doubt this is possible with a broken PCB.

Regardless I just want to give it a go. It it doesn't work then at least I tried. Plus it's a fun project. So yeah anyone ever pulled the steam boiler out? Tips? Photos? Video?
    Mine had blown the element (I could see bits of it in the drip tray) and apparently one of the sub boards that make up the PCB. It operated as you describe, booting etc but no steam.

I'm not trying to put you off, by any means, just give you more info to keep in the back of your mind if it requires further troubleshooting.
    Last edited by level3ninja; 1 Week Ago at 05:48 AM.
    inorog likes this.

Has anyone purchased a machine through an ebay seller located in NSW by the name of Bravo Coffee Experts? Or know of this company? Have found them selling refurbished machines around the $500 price mark and unsure if it's worth considering since the machines are $900+ new

Quote Originally Posted by themurphs View Post
    Hi All,

Just purchased a BES920 + grinder.
    Taking things slow.
    Currently setting up, followed the procedure for the water hardness strip and got this result.
    Not sure what it means, looks like a setting of 1 for the machine?

Eyes are not what they used to be.
    I am located in Melbourne, and I have been told the water is soft.

Cheers
    is the strip upside down and this is actually a 4?

Quote Originally Posted by FilthySudo View Post
    Has anyone purchased a machine through an ebay seller located in NSW by the name of Bravo Coffee Experts? Or know of this company? Have found them selling refurbished machines around the $500 price mark and unsure if it's worth considering since the machines are $900+ new
    The eBay feedback makes for interesting reading...........

Quote Originally Posted by EZCFlair View Post
    The eBay feedback makes for interesting reading...........
    Haha yes! I ended up purchasing a black one locally that was 6 months old still with the 1.5 years warranty for cheap. Happy with the purchase

Any way of turning the auto-off function on? Or increasing when it goes off? It's a pain in the ass as I like to let the machine get warmer for that 20 or 30 mins and by the time I go to use it, it's shut off!

Nope. Not unless you start modifying the internal wiring

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    Nope. Not unless you start modifying the internal wiring
    That's a pain in the ass. I don't want to play with that in case it voids warranty of any sort
    A shame really

My 920 is about 4 yrs old, typical 1 cup per day average. Lately it's started not priming during the pre infusion- sounds a little buzzy when attempting to pre infuse and no pressure, but them when main pressure kicks in its fine. Once 1 shot is poured pre infusion works fine also.

So it's obviously losing water to low pressure pump for pre infusion and needs to be primed with a quick full pressure (usually hold single shot down). Regularly cleaned and escaped. Anything else I can do or 8s it needing a new pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Ocram View Post
    Yes, it turns off and stays hot while on standby. The screen and lights switch off. That's been happening since I had leaking o-rings (now replaced). The steam from the drip tray is a recent thing. I went away for three days and had it switched off, but have just tuned it back on and it is still happening. The funny thing is that it still makes great coffee and the steam wand is working really well.

So in summary I guess I have two issues to resolve:
    • The machine continuing to heat up when it's switched off
    • Steam venting into the drip tray (front left hand side).
    My machine is doing this exact same thing. Stays at 140ļF even when "off", but plugged in. Did you fix yours? If so, how!?

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647