Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,450 of 2657
Like Tree540Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by ruslah View Post
    Ok, so after about 20 months with the dual boiler, I think I've encountered my first problem. When I go to pour my shot, just after the pre-infusion it is like the machine cuts out completely for 2 seconds, drops pressure and then it kicks in again. Only happens with beans and not the blind filter. I thought it might be channelling, but it happens no matter how I grind/tamp. Never had this happen before.

Also reading the last couple of pages about the buzzing solenoids, I'm not sure if mine has gotten a bit louder lately as well. Here is a video of the problem

https://youtu.be/AnBrWsTM9_I
    Hi all. I posted this about a year ago, but never really got a response at all. Looks like there's a few posts lately with similar issues. Could someone please shed some light on this? It sort of went away after a while but has since started happening again. I've found if I hold down the auto button and let the pump kick in for a few seconds before I attach the portafilter it won't do it.

Sounds like the pump is having trouble self-priming during preinfusion. Your pump could be on the way out, the way Breville does the preinfusion kills the pumps sheet a couple of years.

Hi All,

I've got an strange issue with my machine relating to the hot water dispensing and leaking from the shower screen. Essentially everytime I use the hot water outlet the shower screen leaks and appears to take most of the flow away from the hot water outlet. I've been inside the machine a fair bit over the past year to replace the steam boiler and more recently the solenoid assembly. As far as I can recall the hot water comes out of the boiler through the tap and then the outlet so not sure how water is machine its way to the group head!

Has anyone encountered anything like this at all?

Thanks in advance!

Manchester, UK (usually) and Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for your comments guys. I'll have a bit more of a look.

Cheers
    Joe

Repair or Replace

Hi all. To replace or repair? Thoughts please.
    My 920 is over 5 years old and has had no problems until now.
    First shot of the day works fine but if the machine is left on, subsequent shots are hit and miss to get the pump to kick in. I hear the click on pressing the manual button but no pump pressure. (Steam is fine). Occasionally I see the boiler temperature rise above 93 degrees and begin to boil...
    Knowing I can pick up a new machine for $850 I am thinking donít even start the investigation process, be thankful for the thousands of shots I have made and move on....
    What do you think? Thanks in advance.

I too have a 920 with that problem.I sent it to a repair depot to have it fixed for $300 in late December. Now it is telling me to Descale. I have followed the instructions to Descale it and cannot complete the procedure. The display says "Valv" and goes no further so I can't get rid of the descale message. The repair depot said they descaled it when they repaired it so I am sure it doesn't actually need descaling but I would like to get rid of the message.
    Twscoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twscoot View Post
    First shot of the day works fine but if the machine is left on, subsequent shots are hit and miss to get the pump to kick in. I hear the click on pressing the manual button but no pump pressure. (Steam is fine). Occasionally I see the boiler temperature rise above 93 degrees and begin to boil...
    Knowing I can pick up a new machine for $850 I am thinking donít even start the investigation process, be thankful for the thousands of shots I have made and move on....
    You can replace the pump yourself for well under $100, if that's the only issue is a cheap fix. I wonder if John1938 can tell us what the depot did for the $300.

If you do decide to replace it, and happen to be in Sydney, I'm happy to take your old machine for parts. I won't sell any parts but use them myself or give them to other CSers.
    inorog, Twscoot and nickwalt like this.

Hey Fellow CS',

Picked up my new BES920BKS today, set it all up and did the initial set up as stated in the manual and I am having troubles with the steam wand. I had searched through the forum and tried a few things but just wanting to see if there are any other options or if it is a DOA.

Problem: Steam wand just shoots out water. Beeps 3 times when turned on. Pump goes on when Steam wand turned on & pump goes off when steam wand goes off.

Tried:
    - Used provided tool to try clean steam wand holes
    - Turned hot water nozzle all the way off (didnt realize how much I had to turn till it was actually off)
    - Did a reset
    - Waited 5 mins after machine was on stand by and did all of the above again with no avail.

Please send help! Was looking forward to an awesome Coffee after having to wait 4 months for delivery of the machine.

To Repair or replace......
    Thanks for the replies. I decided to bite the bullet and replace it. There seemed to be only a few left at this price. I’ll keep the existing unit for spares and use the portafilter for single shots.
    prydey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suss View Post
    Hey Fellow CS',

Picked up my new BES920BKS today, set it all up and did the initial set up as stated in the manual and I am having troubles with the steam wand. I had searched through the forum and tried a few things but just wanting to see if there are any other options or if it is a DOA.

Problem: Steam wand just shoots out water. Beeps 3 times when turned on. Pump goes on when Steam wand turned on & pump goes off when steam wand goes off.

Tried:
    - Used provided tool to try clean steam wand holes
    - Turned hot water nozzle all the way off (didnt realize how much I had to turn till it was actually off)
    - Did a reset
    - Waited 5 mins after machine was on stand by and did all of the above again with no avail.

Please send help! Was looking forward to an awesome Coffee after having to wait 4 months for delivery of the machine.
    I would wait until the machine turns itself off and then turn it back on again. If the steam still isn't up to temp in a couple of minutes it's DOA.

n88
    Hi Guys,

I believe I'm also having problems with the pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdf89XXylcI

maybe @noidle22 could help - it looks like a pump to me or do you think it could be the OPV ? I can hear the buzzing from the pump on warm up, and it doesn't go off before it reaches temperature

There is also no pressure on the pressure gauge during the shot.

Thanks guys.

Looking for some guidance as I am struggling a little now for a decent shot.

Got the new machine and grinder pro.

Using beanbays Sarah espresso.

Grinder settings: Time:18.6s Size: 6

Getting 18g in a double basket, starts pouring out at the 9-10s mark, mouse tails and then as it comes up to the 25-30s mark, needle flutters a bit and i end up with a bitter tasting shot.

I thought I was grinding too fine but then I cannot get it to pour out correctly. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    I would wait until the machine turns itself off and then turn it back on again. If the steam still isn't up to temp in a couple of minutes it's DOA.
    You were on the money with the machine being DOA, called breville and had a replacement done the same day!
    level3ninja likes this.

Getting 18g in a double basket, starts pouring out at the 9-10s mark, mouse tails and then as it comes up to the 25-30s mark, needle flutters a bit and i end up with a bitter tasting shot.

I thought I was grinding too fine but then I cannot get it to pour out correctly. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Hard to say exactly but I'd think your initial assessment of grinding too fine is correct. Using the breville smart grinder, if I go under 11/12 it'll choke up and produce a shot similar to what you're suggesting. With fresh beans I'd try a grind setting of around 13 with 18g in the basket.

Question... What's the general consensus on descaling now? Is it worth the risk? Seems like everyone that's tried has had to take it in for repair, and it seems silly to pay someone to descale it. I was THIS close to trying it today... then just made a coffee instead
    suss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twscoot View Post
    Knowing I can pick up a new machine for $850 I am thinking don’t even start the investigation process, be thankful for the thousands of shots I have made and move on....
    One downside of the new machines is they switch off after 15 minutes, which can be a complete pita.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    What's the general consensus on descaling now? Is it worth the risk? Seems like everyone that's tried has had to take it in for repair, and it seems silly to pay someone to descale it. I was THIS close to trying it today... then just made a coffee instead
    When did you buy your machine? If within the last couple of years you're all good to follow the instructions in the manual.

When did you buy your machine? If within the last couple of years you're all good to follow the instructions in the manual.
    No I bought ours around mid 2015. It went in under warranty to fix the solenoid around late 2016 I believe so there's a chance its firmware was updated then, but I have no idea if it was or not so now I don't know which instructions to follow.

Hard to say exactly but I'd think your initial assessment of grinding too fine is correct. Using the breville smart grinder, if I go under 11/12 it'll choke up and produce a shot similar to what you're suggesting. With fresh beans I'd try a grind setting of around 13 with 18g in the basket.

Question... What's the general consensus on descaling now? Is it worth the risk? Seems like everyone that's tried has had to take it in for repair, and it seems silly to pay someone to descale it. I was THIS close to trying it today... then just made a coffee instead
    Gave this a go and found that the coffee was just gushing out way too quick. Needle would sit at about 3 bars

No I bought ours around mid 2015. It went in under warranty to fix the solenoid around late 2016 I believe so there's a chance its firmware was updated then, but I have no idea if it was or not so now I don't know which instructions to follow.
    Might be worth calling Breville and asking them. Get the number of the label inside where the water tank goes before you call them, that'll tell them when it was manufactured and if it's ok.

What weight are you getting in the cup?
    If I had to guess I'd say you're not grinding quite fine enough and tamping too hard? But big guess based on not much info. If you can video the whole process from grinding, tamping, shot etc and post a link to it on YouTube it will make diagnosing much easier.
    suss likes this.

Might be worth calling Breville and asking them. Get the number of the label inside where the water tank goes before you call them, that'll tell them when it was manufactured and if it's ok.
    I might have to call the service center and ask if they always upgrade the firmware as well Lots of stuffing around though just to descale the damn thing...

Question for the Aussies here, where do you buy your replacement o-rings? All the links I've seen are for Amazon US, but surely there are local websites that stock these same rings?

18g is not enough in the double basket. Try 20g as your bench mark with your present bean, it can vary with different beans.
    suss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nac View Post
    Hi,
    I am after the one piece plastic group collar insert. Any ideas on where I can get one please?
    I ordered one from ewingelectrical, $11 plus shipping. It's the 2 piece type which my 2017 BES920 takes.

I am in a state of shock. After having purchased the extended 5 year warranty through Concierge/Good Guys and having had the control panel board die on me a few months out of its original warranty, I happily passed the problem on to Concierge. It was a lengthy process, being without my BES920 for at least 4 weeks, and I was surprised to learn my machine was sent up to Sydney for repairs at Bravo. I am in Melbourne and we have authorised Breville repairers in all parts of Melbourne. Still, this is done obviously at their discretion. I received my repaired machien yesterday, bubble wrapped and boxed securely. I take it out of the box and I shit you not, there are probably 40 dents in the machine, it looks so bad you'd suggest it's been vandalised. This is a very distressing outcome, and I've not heard from anyone after sending photos and having initial phone contact, but I know one thing ... I am at least going to get a new machine out of this experience - of that I have no doubt.

I guess I just want to red flag Bravo in Sydney to those who may think of sending their machine there. Find some other joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    18g is not enough in the double basket. Try 20g as your bench mark with your present bean, it can vary with different beans.
    Thank you to everyone for their help! I took your advice Erimus and tried 20g in the basket and it was spot on!! Best shot I have had so far. Could not be happier with the outcome.

What would you recommend for single basket as far as g's?

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
    I am in a state of shock. After having purchased the extended 5 year warranty through Concierge/Good Guys and having had the control panel board die on me a few months out of its original warranty, I happily passed the problem on to Concierge. It was a lengthy process, being without my BES920 for at least 4 weeks, and I was surprised to learn my machine was sent up to Sydney for repairs at Bravo. I am in Melbourne and we have authorised Breville repairers in all parts of Melbourne. Still, this is done obviously at their discretion. I received my repaired machien yesterday, bubble wrapped and boxed securely. I take it out of the box and I shit you not, there are probably 40 dents in the machine, it looks so bad you'd suggest it's been vandalised. This is a very distressing outcome, and I've not heard from anyone after sending photos and having initial phone contact, but I know one thing ... I am at least going to get a new machine out of this experience - of that I have no doubt.

I guess I just want to red flag Bravo in Sydney to those who may think of sending their machine there. Find some other joint.
    Ouch. Are you sure about the identity of the culprit? Any chance it was improperly packaged by the people who sent it up to Sydney?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    Ouch. Are you sure about the identity of the culprit? Any chance it was improperly packaged by the people who sent it up to Sydney?

Hey BO'S. You raise a good point. I can't be sure of how it was handled enroute, I guess that it why I have pointed the finger at Concierge and not Bravo, so perhaps it's a bit premature to be red flagging Bravo, so for the moment, I retract that, unreservedly. I can't see anyone putting up their hands as the guilty party, either.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
    Hey BO'S. You raise a good point. I can't be sure of how it was handled enroute, I guess that it why I have pointed the finger at Concierge and not Bravo, so perhaps it's a bit premature to be red flagging Bravo, so for the moment, I retract that, unreservedly. I can't see anyone putting up their hands as the guilty party, either.
    No worries at all. Whatever happened, the result is far from acceptable. Hope you get your new machine soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    No worries at all. Whatever happened, the result is far from acceptable. Hope you get your new machine soon.

thanks! Well that's the only upside to this sad and sorry tale. And now the more I think about it, of course the fault in reality wouldn't be with the repairer, the thing has taken an almighty shunt or perhaps even dropped whilst in transit. I have had to put up with totally inferior coffee made with my unimpressive Saeco machine for the past month. Dreadful, So, beaten up it may be, but wow, what a unit the BES920 is and coffee you'd go a long way to beat. cheers.

Thank you to everyone for their help! I took your advice Erimus and tried 20g in the basket and it was spot on!! Best shot I have had so far. Could not be happier with the outcome.

What would you recommend for single basket as far as g's?

Try 10g and grind a bit coarser. The single basket will take more, but I find it works better by under dosing. The tamper won't go all the way down when under dosing, it still comes out ok though. I don't use this basket much as it's too much faffing about readjusting the grinder. When I do use it I leave the grind the same as for the double basket, it's a longer pour, however, it's good for milk based drinks.

Technical service manual?

Hello all,

I haven't come across a service manual on this thread as yet (does it even exist?) in order to disassemble major components of the machine and put it back together. I imagine 'licensed' service tech repairers might have these? I ask since, and from what I've been reading here, many are now accustomed to diagnosing/making some repairs themselves.

TA.

Quote Originally Posted by dansss View Post
    I imagine 'licensed' service tech repairers might have these?
    They do. Not allowed to distribute them publicly though.

Quote Originally Posted by n88 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I believe I'm also having problems with the pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdf89XXylcI

maybe @noidle22 could help - it looks like a pump to me or do you think it could be the OPV ? I can hear the buzzing from the pump on warm up, and it doesn't go off before it reaches temperature

There is also no pressure on the pressure gauge during the shot.

Thanks guys.
    Sounds like the OPV is bypassing pretty much all the water to the tank. I'd probably recommend replacing the pump at the same time if the machine is 4-5 years old.

There can also be a restriction in the group solenoid teflon seals on certain machines which will result in very low brew pressure. From the sounds of yours, it would just appear to be the OPV at this stage though.

I purchased a second hand Breville BES920 Dual Boiler, has worked perfectly for 6 weeks. All of a sudden the pressure now goes to 9.5bar and nothing comes out, sometimes a dribble. A second press of the 2 cup button then has coffee coming out, however my wife says this is now a strong tasting cup.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Cheers

Have you tried a different basket? They can get blocked. My dual wall basket got blocked and the machine behaved like this.
    StaticBlue likes this.

A Mate said that it sounded like my grinder had something stuck, that whatever it was had now loosened and passed through. In doing so the grinder was now grinding correctly at a setting of 5, and this was way too fine. He suggested adjusting the grinder to a really course setting, then run the shot. Set the Breville Smart Grinder to 30, this had coffee pouring out, though it didn't come up to the correct pressure, so set it to 15 and it had improved. Next I tried 10 with 16.8 seconds, and we are back in business. I had been using 5 and 16.8 seconds from when I bought the grinder second hand, and was none the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    They do. Not allowed to distribute them publicly though.
    noidle22, thanks for the response. Pity. A workshop manual can come in real handy for some of us here who're hands-on.

BES920 Questions from a Newbie

Hey Everyone!

First post here. I just pulled the trigger on a BES920 since I managed to get a brand new machine delivered to my door from The Good Guys for only $760! What a deal! I sold my old Delonghi EC860M for $300 so overall I upgraded for only $460!

I am using the BCG820 grinder that I previously owned, and I've been finding that double shots taste way better when the grind setting is at about 14 or 15, but from this thread and others on these forums it seems as though the sweet spot is between 8, 9, 10, 11, etc.

The issue is every time I drop my grind settings below 12 I get a very bitter, burnt tasting, and sour shots. At around 14-15 grind size, Im getting great expresso but with very little crema (I am using Ground Control's "OG Organic" coffee beans which are supposed to be an amazing medium roast for espresso, but I will admit that the beans are about 5 months old and I'm just trying to get rid of them before I buy some fresh beans).

I have not yet measured extraction ratio since I dont have a measuring shot but my pours are usually 30-35 seconds. Pressure is bang on at 9 to 9.5 bar. Im using the single wall double shot basket that came with the machine.

1) Is there anything I'm doing wrong ? Or is this likely an issue because of my old beans? I was under the impression that older beans actually need to be ground finer...so it doesnt make sense that it tastes better with a slightly coarser grind.

2) is the Breville single wall double basket 18g? Whats the best 20g aftermarket basket that fits in our machine?

3) I am planning on getting a digital scale to measure the coffee im actually putting in the basket and I will also start measuring the extraction ratio soon, but otherwise do you guys have any tips for the BES920 for beginners? generally?

4) I intermittent fast so I cant have food or milk based coffee in the mornings, only straight black coffee. What's the secret to the ultimate americano (ie, long black)? Ive been told to not use hot water from the boiler since this will give a long black a 'burnt taste' since the water is too hot and it will ruin the flavour. Is this true for just commercial machines or our BES920's too? Should I be using boiled water from a kettle, letting it rest for 3 minutes after it comes to a boil?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, looking forward to seeing what you guys think.

Don't worry about what numbers other people's grinders say, go by taste. The BCG grinders are not calibrated so the distance between the burrs on two grinders reading a 10 could be wildly different. Grind settings will also change between bean types and roasts. So stick with whatever you're doing.

I dose 20g into an 18g VST basket, seems to perform better than the stock basket but there's a bit of a learning curve, and I don't think it'll go well with the BCG820, probably more hassle than its worth. You could also try Espresso Parts HQ Filter Baskets, which come in 14-18g and 18-21g. I have one of each of those and they seem easier to get a good pour but not as good as the VST, and by the time I got them I already had a Eureka Atom and had learned the insurance and outs of the VST so I stuck with that. I suspect the HQ baskets are pretty similar to the Breville ones to be honest, you can probably dose 20g into the double Breville. Give it a go and see.

Don't bother measuring your ratio with volume, use a scale to measure grams in and grams out.

I have only heard about not using boiler hot water from a Hx machine, as it will be above 100įC and burn the coffee. The water from the hot water spout on the 920 comes from the brew boiler at ~93įC or whatever you have it set to, this is the same water that goes through the puck without burning it (hopefully) so you won't have any issues with it in the cup. If you want to make your long blacks taste better do two things: 1. Put the water in first. 2. Scoop the crema off with a spoon or two. Try it and see.

Don't worry about what numbers other people's grinders say, go by taste. The BCG grinders are not calibrated so the distance between the burrs on two grinders reading a 10 could be wildly different. Grind settings will also change between bean types and roasts. So stick with whatever you're doing.

I dose 20g into an 18g VST basket, seems to perform better than the stock basket but there's a bit of a learning curve, and I don't think it'll go well with the BCG820, probably more hassle than its worth. You could also try Espresso Parts HQ Filter Baskets, which come in 14-18g and 18-21g. I have one of each of those and they seem easier to get a good pour but not as good as the VST, and by the time I got them I already had a Eureka Atom and had learned the insurance and outs of the VST so I stuck with that. I suspect the HQ baskets are pretty similar to the Breville ones to be honest, you can probably dose 20g into the double Breville. Give it a go and see.

Don't bother measuring your ratio with volume, use a scale to measure grams in and grams out.

I have only heard about not using boiler hot water from a Hx machine, as it will be above 100įC and burn the coffee. The water from the hot water spout on the 920 comes from the brew boiler at ~93įC or whatever you have it set to, this is the same water that goes through the puck without burning it (hopefully) so you won't have any issues with it in the cup. If you want to make your long blacks taste better do two things: 1. Put the water in first. 2. Scoop the crema off with a spoon or two. Try it and see.
    Thanks level3ninja, great advice!

1. Put the water in first. 2. Scoop the crema off with a spoon or two. Try it and see.
    Don't scrape the crema off, that's the idea of putting the shot on top of the water to preserve the crema. If you're not into crema pour the hot water on top of the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    Don't scrape the crema off, that's the idea of putting the shot on top of the water to preserve the crema. If you're not into crema pour the hot water on top of the shot.
    When I first heard it I tried side-by-side with scooping the crema off and mixing it in, because I was curious. Noticeable difference, that being the one with it scooped off was sweeter.
    StaticBlue likes this.

Hi, I posted the same question in another thread. Just re-posting it here as it seems to be more active.

Just recently, my machine stopped working and I got this 'Err2' error message just right after I made a cup of coffee.

Has anyone encountered such problem? The machine is just a bit over 2 years old and I make 1 or 2 coffees a day.

I did call Breville, but unfortunately, they were unable to help with the error and told me to bring it to the service center. I just have not had the time to bring it in for service as yet.

Thanks in advance!

Question for the Aussies here, where do you buy your replacement o-rings? All the links I've seen are for Amazon US, but surely there are local websites that stock these same rings?
    im in the same boat - anyone bought some recently who can share their source?

BES920 Breville Dual boiler Descale note.

BES920 Breville Dual boiler Descale note.
    At some stage all machines will say to descale.
    After many failed attempts I discovered a thread by Peterborthwick 29 July 2017 - yet still failed more attempts to successfully descale - until I discovered the fail in the text in the Breville Manual as well as the Peterborthwick text.
    With MY comment included.
    A detailed descale procedure (and an experience doing the procedure)

First, my apologies for the length of my first post to the CoffeeSnobs forums (it's an instruction guide, and I hope you find it informative for descaling ).

I've owned my BES920 dual boiler for just over a year now (purchased May 2017), and just did my first descale a week or so ago. After headaches, almost one or two rage quits, a great amount of trepidation, and a phone call to a frigging awesome individual from a repair shop in QLD, I successfully descaled my machine without issue! Breville were more than useless in this process, they didn't know their machine particularly well when I called them, before reaching the individual from the repair shop who will henceforth be known as Ďthe guruí (for reasons that prevent them from being inundated with distressed, well-meaning callers).

I wanted to provide a run through on how I did it, in the hope that it might help someone else who gets into my position too.

I followed the instructions that Breville included in the box, and the ones that Breville sent to me by email after I called them and explained my issue, however they weren't updated for the software version that I have. Getting into descale mode was the same for previous firmware versions (let your machine cool for an hour if you have used it, and then press and hold the one-cup button, and then press the power button whilst holding the one-cup button, then scrolling through to descale (dESC I think), and selecting it).

I have the latest firmware, and this changes things (i.e. the button that lights up, and what the LCD panel shows). In the instructions I had, the LCD reads PUSH, and the manual button lights up. On my firmware, the LCD panel is lit up, but blank, and the one-cup button is lit, not the manual button. This is one of the changes with the latest firmware. Pressing the one-cup button starts the descale process, simple I know, but I didn't want to do anything at first as it was different from the manual (sigh).

Anyway, here are some pointers/instructions that I hope helps with Breville's slightly 'lack of informationary' instructions:

*** (IMPORTANT) ***
    1. After the 1 hour of cooling, when opening the boilers (first, the right screw for the steam wand boiler, then the left screw for the espresso boiler), turn the screws very, very slowly (* itís INTEGRAL that you do this after the second and third boiler flushes, when the pressure is highest, but start from the first ). After the second boiler empty (after the descale has been run through, as you have emptied the boilers once already after the cool down process), if you turn the screws quickly, especially on the steam wand boiler (i.e. right screw), you can blow the fuse and element if turning too quickly. The guru said this was the main culprit with those buggered boilers after descaling, in his experience. Just go slowly, gently, caressingly, enjoy the moment.

Also, you are going to do THREE (read 3) flushes in total during descale. The first is the descale solution. And the next two is just water. This should solve you poor peeps not being able to get out of descale mode after powering back on (again, another piece of advice from the guru). The machine is waiting for the process to run 3 times.

*** /(IMPORTANT) ***

2. I used a liquid descale solution, which uses a 1:10 mix (100mL of solution to 1L of water). I happened to find mine from The Good Guys in QLD (not a plug, just a FYI in case you hunt for one yourself in a brick-and-mortar store instead of online).

2. (a) The guru let me know that each descale run of 20 minutes uses approximately 1 litre of liquid (and remove your water filter from the tank too, of course). The manual states to fill the water reservoir to max, which is about 2.5 litres. You waste descale solution by filling it to the max line. The guru suggested filling a bit over 1L just in case, and I filled to 1300mL (using about 120mL of descale solution), and it left about 100mL or so of liquid (I didn't measure it) after each flush.

3. Press that lit-up manual or one-cup button to start descaling, and once you start the descale, set a timer for 20 minutes if you plan to walk away from it. It doesn't beep or anything when it finishes, it's a silent bloody ninja. After finishing, the screen is blank again (or reads PUSH, I assume) and the manual or one-cup button is lit up. ***IMPORTANT*** When opening the boilers, turn the right screw for the steam wand very slowly (you don't want to blow anything). It will start to hiss, and sploosh, and then it's all over rather quickly (a bit anticlimactic really). Then do the same for the left screw. It won't make as much of a to-do. Make sure you have your towel over the tray unless you have asbestos hands. Do it anyway, just in case, as the water and steam are of course very hot. Remove the drip tray after the all of the water has drained (you should see that it stops flowing after a short while).
    My comment here: Itís says to open the screws - both here and in the Breville Manual - right then left - so I opened - and closed - each as directed.
    The machine didnít make any splooshing or hissing noises - and since I had my towel over the tray as directed - I couldnít see anything happening.
    So basically I just opened and closed the screws.
    I did press and hold the one cup button on occasion since nothing had happened - and still nothing happened.
    As far as I could see or hear.
    This was my sixth descale in a month due to lack of success.
    Finally successful.
    It makes sense to leave the screws open - however Peter mentioned in his case - I was following instructions to the letter.
    It needs to be pointed out that the tanks are being emptied into the tray during this opening and closing of screws and that this may be silent and will take several seconds - perhaps up to 30 - 40 seconds or more.
    And pressing and holding the one cup button for 3 seconds was indeed necessary on occasion to get the tank emptying.
    Furthermore - I discovered the drip tray needed to be emptied following each screw opening and closing.
    4. Remove the tank, and empty the remaining descale water from it, and then rinse it thoroughly (even get in there with a sponge, maybe a little detergent, and get that descale solution, and its smell, out). I neglected this step and did a whole new descale process with just water as it was smelling a little too 'descaley' for my liking.

5. Press the one-cup button (or manual button, for you old skool peeps) to start the next descale for 20 minutes. (* You are going to do this for a third time after this, the machine is configured to do 3 flushes, 1 with descale solution, and 2 with just water).

6. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 (*slowly open those screws!), and give the water tank another rinse/wash, whatever floats your boat. Fill it back up with 1300mL of water, and pop it back in.

6 (a). Get your new filter ready (soak for the last 5 minutes of the 20 minute descale).

7. After your third and last flush, you will be back to a blank LCD and manual/one-cup button, same as the previous times. Now, pop your soaked filter in, fill up the tank with clean water TO THE MAX, and pop it back in. Just press the power button at this stage, and it will start back up. All things going well, and it 'should' be at this stage, your machine will heat back up to 93 degrees. **Note, you will probably get 3 beeps on the steam wand when you impatiently activate it after its heated up (okay, maybe thatís just me). This means the steam wand boiler is still heating. Wait 5 minutes and give it another go, and it should be full steam ahead.
    Jebus and StaticBlue like this.

I replaced the rubber o-ring seals today and wow what an improvement. It fixed the overheating temperature issue, the constant gurgling and the hissing sound after using the steam. Wish i bit the bullet and replaced them a long time ago!

Question for anyone else that's performed this maintenance. I never hear people speak about the blue seals, but I came across a few of them while replacing the reds. I decided to leave them alone as they look slightly larger. Anyone know where to buy replacements for these?

Edit: Just found out the blue o-rings are 1/4 id 3/8 od p/n 1REC5 from here. They've also added a nice diagram with where each colour lives.
    inorog, BOR15 and StaticBlue like this.

Hey all, I'm taking the plunge across from the BES900 to the BES920 as of this morning! What else are long weekends for?

Just bought the machine, and have set it up - all is good so far.

One question that occurs to me (and that I can't find elsewhere on the thread) is what altering the water hardness settings actually tells the machine to do differently? I get that different water hardness has effect on scale/taste etc. but can the machine do anything to offset these within its internal programming/mechanism?

I'm in central Melbourne and use a Brita jug so it's very soft water for me, but since the long weekend is allowing me time to wonder.... Anyone know?

A Brita jug won't do much (maybe 10% of the required filtration). The hardness setting changes how often the machine prompts you to descale, that's all.

A Brita jug won't do much (maybe 10% of the required filtration). The hardness setting changes how often the machine prompts you to descale, that's all.
    Thanks! Totally get that Brita doesn't do much. As I'm in a rental and an under bench/reverse osmosis setup isn't going to be a possibility, and I want to keep my shiny new machine shiny and new for as long as possible, should I be using cheap bottled water from Coles? Or just rely on the tank filter + Brita?

The tank filter is fine. Just make sure you descale regularly and inspect the water that comes out to see how much scale there is. More than a tiny bit means descale more often. I'm in Sydney, with pretty soft water but I descale every 3 months, could probably get away with doing it every 4-5 months but I play it safe.

Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast