Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556
Results 2,751 to 2,783 of 2783
Like Tree589Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by theonetruepath View Post
    I've been expecting these to go EOL for two years now. Every time they have a $680 special it's classic 'when they're gone they're gone' pricing, exactly as they do just before discontinuing the model. Then every time that has happened they've ended the special and brought them back at a high price again. When nobody wants to pay. It's like they keep discovering another container full, forgotten in a corner of the warehouse.
    Too true. They're back at $799 with 20% at The Good Guys on EvilBay (need to be Logged-in to see it - until 4/11/19?).

AKT
    But is it worth still spending the $$$ on this or buy a Rancilio Silvia ?? How long do these Harvey Norman machines last ???

Quote Originally Posted by AKT View Post
    But is it worth still spending the $$$ on this or buy a Rancilio Silvia ?? How long do these Harvey Norman machines last ???
    If you read this thread through, you'll see the Pros and Cons. The Silvia is overpriced, dated (No PID) and the frame still eventually rusts. You need to Temperature Surf to avoid burnt coffee and even then can still get burnt Coffee. I kept my old one as a back-up (mainly because of the rusted frame affecting re-sale value) and can't say I'm a fan, especially at the price they sell for currently.

The Breville BES920 has a question mark over it's durability in the longer term but also has the ability to repeatedly produce high quality coffee (PID temp) and simultaneously steam at a low price (when on sale). Bear in mind that 1000s upon 1000s of the mass produced Breville are sold. They offer a lot of features but are built to a price. You'll always hear about the ones that fail. Less so about the ones that don't. If Breville fully sorted the Durability side of things, machines like the Silvia wouldn't exist any longer. Don't forget too that a large percentage of BES920s are sold to people new to coffee brewing who don't maintain their machines correctly, don't read the instructions or feed it good quality water. A surge protector would also be a good idea on the power supply to protect the Electronics. It has it's issues but also has it's place. You have to weigh the Pros and Cons for yourself.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Hi All! Iíve been quiet on here for a while but up until recently a very happy BES920 owner! That was until upgraditis struck

So if anyone is interested in a well cared for, lightly used machine (2-3 coffees a day) with extras check out my listing in the MarketPlace forums.
    ransom likes this.

Hey Everyone

Got a BES920 with a nasty pinhole leak in the steam boiler seam. My neighbour has done a good job to weld it back up but i'm not too sure the boiler will hold pressure. i was thinking of just swapping out the steam boiler from an older BES900. Apart from the drain at the bottom of the BES920 boiler, is there any other differences between the two boilers?

Hi everyone,

I just got the BS920 with the smart grinder pro. It was on sale and I wanted to get my own espresso machine for the longest time and so i went for it. I have a few questions though:

1. Is the tamper too small for the portafilter double shot basket? I noticed that when i tamp the sides are usually not compressed properly
    2. this leads me to, not getting enough pressure for extraction. I tried multiple times, different grinds i could only get up to at most 4-5 bars of pressure and the output is too much. what am i doing wrong?

with the single shot basket i always get 9 bars of pressure when pulling a shot

Quote Originally Posted by jcruiz View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just got the BS920 with the smart grinder pro. It was on sale and I wanted to get my own espresso machine for the longest time and so i went for it. I have a few questions though:

1. Is the tamper too small for the portafilter double shot basket? I noticed that when i tamp the sides are usually not compressed properly
    2. this leads me to, not getting enough pressure for extraction. I tried multiple times, different grinds i could only get up to at most 4-5 bars of pressure and the output is too much. what am i doing wrong?

with the single shot basket i always get 9 bars of pressure when pulling a shot
    What are your grinder settings? You may need to grind finer.
    level3ninja likes this.

Other standard questions jcruiz, what beans are you using, when were they roasted, are you using the single wall baskets for both the double and single?

Yes the tamper is slightly too small for the basket, they're all like that. You can buy a number of after market tampers.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianS View Post
    I've now had my machine for 2 and a half years now (out of warranty, feel such a fool I didn't get the extended warranty from the good guys), with no problems until the last week.

When I turn on the machine, the temp won't settle at the set temp of 94deg but soars upwards past 110deg without stopping until I shut it down.
    I'm scared to leave it on in case the temp gets so high the boilers get damaged.

Initially, I thought the problem was a faulty/broken thermostat on the pump, but now I am led to believe it is a bad triac board.
    Can anyone conform or dispute my diagnosis before I order a new triac board?
    Guess I'll also need to replace a bunch of o-rings, since I have read they generally need replacing annually.
    Just an update on my post:
    After several months of enduring instant coffee, I decided to chance my luck and took it in to get repaired.
    Just a day after putting it in, got it all back, all sorted for about $180.
    The problem was a bad triac board. Apart from this, the tech replaced 6 or 7 of the seals/washer thingies.

I decided upon viewing the internals, I didn't have the technical skills.
    While it may be child's play to some, the internals look daunting.
    CafeLotta and BOR15 like this.

Good it's all fixed, but warranties are arbitrary...the law says goods sold have to be fit for purpose and should last a reasonable time .... Irrespective of what the warranty says.

I would have contacted Breville, given them an opportunity to repair the machine, reminded them of their statutory obligation, waited for their response then threatened legal action if they refused.

I did consider this, but since I only paid about $700 for it, Breville could probably argue it is a cheap machine, and 2 years warranty should be plenty.
    Besides, going to the repairer directly, I have more choice as to options for repair.

When I took it in, the tech chuckled "We see lots of these!"
    I asked him whether I should take it in every year to get the o-rings replaced and preempt any leaks, but he said I shouldn't bother because they can go at any time and even newly installed o-rings might only last several months. So he advised me to bring it in only if something major happens or I get a very bad leak.
    The leak I had was only sufficient to corrode and short some components, not enough to make a puddle on the counter and alert me to its presence.
    robusto likes this.

All machines get issues. The important thing is that parts and know how are available to fix them.

It is good to get simple too. A machine with just one boiler and a few relays and a switch is complex enough.
    robusto likes this.

Just pressed go - $699.20 delivered on ebay with Bing Lee (20% off code plee20). Sad to retire the EM6910, but after about 11 years of use it's not worth repairing anymore, rust, plastic perishing, leaks...
    inorog and level3ninja like this.

PdM

Pump issue after 1 day...?

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    1) buzzing sound: probably the solenoid. Remove it, disassemble and clean. Reassemble and reinstall. If that doesn't fix it, replace it. Here in the USA, they are about $42 USD.
    2) the other symptoms: sounds like you have a steam leak. this is to be expected if you have gone between two and four years without replacing the size #007 o-rings on top of the steam boiler. This is a regular maintenance item every couple of years. Fortunately, it is easy and cheap.

-Peter

Posted Fri Nov 29, 2019, 9:43pm
    Subject: Re: New Breville Dual Boiler BES920XL
    Edit this Post Reply to Post with Quote Reply to Post
    Hi guys. Talk about joining the conversation late

I got my BDB920 yesterday only. Upgraded from the Barista Express. So not sure it's related to this post as it's new and hasn't really had time to become clogged or dirty...
    After only 3 shots the pump stopped working.
    I can hear it trying as there's a buzzing sound (like a pump that's getting power but stuck), and the buzzing gets louder as it ramps up after PI, but no water, neither from the spout.
    Any suggestions??
    I live in South Africa and bought from the US through Amazon, so don't really have a place to return it to as the Breville agents here don't supply (and so don't support), this model....
    Any suggestions?

Could still be the solenoid. Is there water going into the drip tray during the shot?

An air-lock perhaps? Have you tried opening up the hot water valve and running some water through it (240ml should do it.) to see if that clears up the problem?

Java "Airlocks in space good, not so good in espresso machines. " phile
    robusto likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Make sure the water tank is in properly, sounds like the tank is slightly out

hi everyone,

I just got my new bes920 up and running, finally upgrading my 6+ year old BES900. What is the go with the new water filter? I looked it up and $19 each, every 3 months is crazy... can the old bes900 filter setup be used?

cheers

[QUOTE
    Any suggestions??
    I live in South Africa and bought from the US through Amazon[/QUOTE]
    ermmmm.... USA is 110V and Sth Africa is 230V.... please check the voltage is correct

Quote Originally Posted by cookie36 View Post
    hi everyone,

I just got my new bes920 up and running, finally upgrading my 6+ year old BES900. What is the go with the new water filter? I looked it up and $19 each, every 3 months is crazy... can the old bes900 filter setup be used?

cheers
    Yes you can, the circle on the bottom of the water tank that the filter assembly clips onto hasn't changed. You just need to get both parts of the old style assembly and you can use the old smaller filters
    robusto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    Yes you can, the circle on the bottom of the water tank that the filter assembly clips onto hasn't changed. You just need to get both parts of the old style assembly and you can use the old smaller filters
    Great news, I'll take it out of my old machine and use his box of filters I had for it!

cheers

PdM
    Quote Originally Posted by Valvster View Post
    [QUOTE
    Any suggestions??
    I live in South Africa and bought from the US through Amazon
    ermmmm.... USA is 110V and Sth Africa is 230V.... please check the voltage is correct[/QUOTE]

Same here - SA from US. I took a chance and just plugged in and went for it, all seems OK. Also think not that many products today are not compatible internationally?

PdM
    Quote Originally Posted by PdM View Post
    Posted Fri Nov 29, 2019, 9:43pm
    Subject: Re: New Breville Dual Boiler BES920XL
    Edit this Post Reply to Post with Quote Reply to Post
    Hi guys. Talk about joining the conversation late

I got my BDB920 yesterday only. Upgraded from the Barista Express. So not sure it's related to this post as it's new and hasn't really had time to become clogged or dirty...
    After only 3 shots the pump stopped working.
    I can hear it trying as there's a buzzing sound (like a pump that's getting power but stuck), and the buzzing gets louder as it ramps up after PI, but no water, neither from the spout.
    Any suggestions??
    I live in South Africa and bought from the US through Amazon, so don't really have a place to return it to as the Breville agents here don't supply (and so don't support), this model....
    Any suggestions?
    Hi guys, just some feedback. After it cooled down all was normal again. I then replicated my morning (in how long it was on etc) but all seems good. Weird. If it happens again I'll start trouble shooting and let you know if anything interesting comes up.

Hi, I think it's time I got my machine serviced it's about 5 years old and being very inconsistent. Can anyone recommend a service centre in Melbourne inner north or west? Thanks

J A Appliances Sales & Services
    17-19 Hossack Avenue,
    3058, COBURG, VIC
    03 8371 9100

Hey Guys

Got an overheating problem on a BES920.
    The temp sails straight past 93 degrees and keeps going well over 105 degrees before i shut it down.
    The steam boiler is not quite up to temp once the brew boiler hits 93 degrees (seems about 20 degrees below operating temp).
    I have replaced all the O rings from the pump to the brew boiler (no leaks).
    i managed to be able to run a brew shot with the cleaning disk inserted and i could get 11 bar at the group head which suggests the brew pump is working OK.

Any ideas on whats causing the overheating fellas?

Quote Originally Posted by PoidaGT View Post
    Hey Guys

The temp sails straight past 93 degrees and keeps going well over 105 degrees before i shut it down.
    The steam boiler is not quite up to temp once the brew boiler hits 93 degrees (seems about 20 degrees below operating temp).
    I have replaced all the O rings from the pump to the brew boiler (no leaks).
    i managed to be able to run a brew shot with the cleaning disk inserted and i could get 11 bar at the group head which suggests the brew pump is working OK.

Sounds like the heating element is running all the time and not switching off. Could be a few things, the triac and relay that switch the element are likely culprits. Could also be the temperature probe etc.

If you leave the machine plugged in and the power point turned on by the machine turned off does it heat? Or is it only when the machine itself is turned on? If it heats when turned off it's more likely the relay or triac, of it only heats when turned on it's more likely the temperature sensor or PID controller part of the controls.

Edit to add: is this the same machine you just replaced the pump on? Is it a 900 or 920? If you got the triac wet when changing the pump that could do it.

Hey Guys

This was my symptom. Solution was to replace the triac board and many o-rings.
    You'll need to go into the diagnostics menu and check the error messages to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    Sounds like the heating element is running all the time and not switching off. Could be a few things, the triac and relay that switch the element are likely culprits. Could also be the temperature probe etc.

If you leave the machine plugged in and the power point turned on by the machine turned off does it heat? Or is it only when the machine itself is turned on? If it heats when turned off it's more likely the relay or triac, of it only heats when turned on it's more likely the temperature sensor or PID controller part of the controls.

Edit to add: is this the same machine you just replaced the pump on? Is it a 900 or 920? If you got the triac wet when changing the pump that could do it.

The brew boiler is heating with it switched off and plugged in so i'll swap out the Triac now see if that makes a difference.

This one had been double o ringed and both thermal fuses had gone when i got it so no doubt some steam got into the Triac.

PS. This is a different machine to the BES900 where i swapped the pump out.

The brew boiler is heating with it switched off and plugged in so i'll swap out the Triac now see if that makes a difference.

This one had been double o ringed and both thermal fuses had gone when i got it so no doubt some steam got into the Triac.

PS. This is a different machine to the BES900 where i swapped the pump out.

Replaced the Triac and now doesn't overheat anymore, thanks guys.

Problem is that the boilers keep heating up when powered off but plugged in.

What causes this?

Problem is that the boilers keep heating up when powered off but plugged in.

What causes this?
    Had this too. Despite the machine being apparently switched off, hours later the machine directly over the boiler on the back right hand side would be too hot to touch.
    Temp solution was to switch the machine off at the power point after doing a coffee.

The fault log corresponding to this event was 10 Coffee NTC Over Temp.
    It went away when I got the Triac board replaced so there must be more than one cause.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianS View Post
    Had this too. Despite the machine being apparently switched off, hours later the machine directly over the boiler on the back right hand side would be too hot to touch.
    Temp solution was to switch the machine off at the power point after doing a coffee.

The fault log corresponding to this event was 10 Coffee NTC Over Temp.
    It went away when I got the Triac board replaced so there must be more than one cause.
    I think i'll just get a brand new Triac as the one i just installed came from a spare parts 920 i had.

I think i'll just get a brand new Triac as the one i just installed came from a spare parts 920 i had.
    Replace the entire triac board, not just the individual offending triac. It's the optocouplers and possibly other circuitry that can also be at fault in most cases and just replacing the triac won't work.

If you're going to be repairing these machines in the future as it seems you have a few of them (a problem I wish I had) then keeping triac boards on hand would be advisable.

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556