Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 949575859
Results 2,901 to 2,923 of 2923
Like Tree621Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    That's a manufacturing mark, where they've ground down the excess metal from the mould. Mine had that out of the box
    pcrussell50 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    Thank you level3ninja, great info.

BOR15, I bought this item from ebay 173812595398, pump, OPV, spacer and 90^ push fit fitting
    I am so tempted to get one. On occasion when I hit the brew button, I hear a click then a gurgle before 3 seconds later the pump kicks in.

I have seen a few strange one-off type things. A mate of mine had a cracked weld where one of the fittings attached to one of the boilers. He noticed it very early on in his ownership. Breville naturally replaced the machine.

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    I have seen a few strange one-off type things. A mate of mine had a cracked weld where one of the fittings attached to one of the boilers. He noticed it very early on in his ownership. Breville naturally replaced the machine.

-Peter
    Here is a pic of mine. Looks like file marks from casting

Quote Originally Posted by BOR15 View Post
    I am so tempted to get one. On occasion when I hit the brew button, I hear a click then a gurgle before 3 seconds later the pump kicks in.
    Before I converted mine to rotary pump, I had done the brass pump and OPV. It’s makes for a more solid and quiet operation. Noticeably quieter and more damped sounding.

I should warn that at first blush, without hearing more, your description sounds like failing pre infusion. I think the common advice here is to replace pump. But when my machine stopped pre infusing after a nearly six year run, replacing the pump didn’t fix it. They ended up replacing the machine.

-Peter

Thought as much. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stig77 View Post
    Our new DB arrived last Monday and my husband hates it. He thinks it was a waste of money and is now back using the Nespresso instead. I am a little more patient, and are persevering but am drinking a lot of semi-crappy coffee. Beans are roasted locally and around 10-14 days from roast time. We have the Breville Grinder that came with the DB as well, which could be part of the reason? Please help me diagnose the problems / come up with solutions.

1. If coffee is too watery we should increase the grind size? Or is this a tamping problem?
    2. If coffee doesn’t come out fast at all ie 20ml in 30secs does this mean we have under dosed the basket or have we tamped too hard?
    3. Do people use the 1 cup / 2 cup buttons on the machine, or do you just press manual and switch off after 30 secs
    4. should we get one of those leveller tools instead of using the tamper?

Is there a really really good online tutorial of this machine (all I can find a reviews) or should we go to a 2 hr barista course?

I have more questions re milk steaming, but will ask them once we can pull a good shot of espresso.

everyone online seems to have such positive feedback on this machine, but we are so disappointed ... keen to try and find the love before we give up. My husband is now wishing we had waited until we saved up for a rocket or ecm machine which is what he wanted to do. So of course this is all my fault
    I have the same set up. My grind setting is at least #8 or less depending on the bean. May have to go as low as #4 if the coffee gets over 2 weeks old. Never went below #4. Weigh your shots and fool around with different ratios. Most roasters will have a recommended brew ratio for their coffee. Either 1:2 or 1:1.5. Don't give up. You have a very capable machine. Shot should run 25-35 seconds.

Question. When setting preinfusion, do I need to hold the manual button to run at pre infusion %? And also with the 1 and 2 cup, if I press these but not hold does it run at the set preinfusion time and %? Send me a dm preferably, otherwise I'll re subscribe to thread

You set the preinfusion by pressing the up and down arrow buttons together. You will then need able to set the length of preinfusion. Press menu and you can set the percentage.

Preinfusion will automatically be included in every shot where you press and immediately release the button. If you press and hold the manual button it will run preinfusion until you let go, then the shot will continue until you press manual again. If you press and hold the one or two shot buttons it will skip preinfusion and run the shot at full pressure as long as you hold the button down, when you release the button the shot will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    You set the preinfusion by pressing the up and down arrow buttons together. You will then need able to set the length of preinfusion. Press menu and you can set the percentage.

Preinfusion will automatically be included in every shot where you press and immediately release the button. If you press and hold the manual button it will run preinfusion until you let go, then the shot will continue until you press manual again. If you press and hold the one or two shot buttons it will skip preinfusion and run the shot at full pressure as long as you hold the button down, when you release the button the shot will stop.
    Thanks for the response. I knew how to set the pre infusion, I just wanted to know if you had to hold manual for the pre infusion, and then about the 1 and 2 cup, but a few hours after I posted this I worked it out that press and release on 1 and 2 cup = preinfusion time, press and hold is full pressure. Thanks though!
    LeroyC likes this.

Drove 2 hours to pick up my brand new Dual Boiler today, just in time for the lock down. While I was there I picked up a used Mazzer Mini Doser. Can't wait to get into it tomorrow morning. Grinder was pretty grubby inside so I got the burrs out and gave it all a good clean. Think I'll chuck a new set of burrs in too for good measure. Anyone had experience with the cheaper aftermarket ones or are original Mazzer better? Cheers.

always go original. you should be able to find them for around $50 + shipping if you shop around.
    BangalowBarista likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by clubbi4 View Post
    always go original. you should be able to find them for around $50 + shipping if you shop around.
    Or the latest hotness in espresso burrs are SSP burrs like they put in Monoliths. SSP makes burrs for various Mazzers too like the Super Jolly. I just don't know which Minis can take Super Jolly burrs. Either way, the SSP burrs will set back something like $300USD so you would have to be pretty committed to serious espresso. Just thought I would toss that out there anyway.

-Peter

Whatever you do donít put Super Jolly burrs in your Mazzer Mini no matter what you read online. The 220v Mini can handle it better and you might get away with it for a while, but youíll likely burn it out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by BangalowBarista View Post
    Think I'll chuck a new set of burrs in too for good measure. Anyone had experience with the cheaper aftermarket ones or are original Mazzer better? Cheers.
    Yep- You will find you get what you pay for in performance and burr life. OEM every time. +1 on stay away from SJ burrs. The mini is not capable of running them on an ongoing basis unless you have plans of binning the grinder in the short-medium future.

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    Or the latest hotness in espresso burrs are SSP burrs like they put in Monoliths. SSP makes burrs for various Mazzers too like the Super Jolly. I just don't know which Minis can take Super Jolly burrs. Either way, the SSP burrs will set back something like $300USD so you would have to be pretty committed to serious espresso. Just thought I would toss that out there anyway.

-Peter
    Thanks, I did see these online. I only paid $200 AUD for the grinder so these aren't going to happen, they look the goods though.

I'll have a shop around and get OEM. Now I just have to wait for the wife to get up so I can start making some noise!

Original Mini blades should last you 10 years if you use 2kg coffee a month (24kg P/Yr) I think they rate them for 500kg coffee but i did it at around 250kg.
    Caffeinator likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by clubbi4 View Post
    Original Mini blades should last you 10 years if you use 2kg coffee a month (24kg P/Yr) I think they rate them for 500kg coffee but i did it at around 250kg.
    The grinder is from 2009 judging by the serial number, so they would be due for sure. Also, they were pretty blunt.
    I'd forgotten how messy these types of grinders were. Grinds everywhere. May have to do the doserless conversion. I used a La Marzocco Swift when I was in a shop, I've forgotten how to dose and tamp!

Any ideas on how to remove the teflon tube from the steam boiler? One is jammed in there and wont budge, I need to replace the o ring. I have tried twisting and am afraid of pulling on it too hard as it will likely stretch/snap the teflon. I suspect scale has fused it.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Any ideas on how to remove the teflon tube from the steam boiler? One is jammed in there and wont budge, I need to replace the o ring. I have tried twisting and am afraid of pulling on it too hard as it will likely stretch/snap the teflon. I suspect scale has fused it.

Cheers
    I suspect same. Not to rub it in, but: https://www.home-barista.com/espress...9.html#p689950

Anyhow, getting back to your problem, sometimes some sharp impacts can loosen scale or corrosion (it could be either if you have chlorides in your water in addition to Mg and Ca). Ultimately, if you damage the tube:
    (1) I don't know Breville's policy about selling parts in Aus, they don't in the USA but there are appliance parts suppliers that sell replacement tubes
    or
    (2) new bare 4mm PTFE tubing is available and inexpensive from Amazon, eBay, and if you're in a big city, I bet you can find it in an engineering supply, keep the ferrule and the brass knob
    (2a) you can buy replacement ferrules on Amazon too

I should say that with option (2) it takes a little patience to rebuild the tubing ends, but once done, you're good to go. If you have ever cut and rebuilt the ends of Shimano disc brake hoses, or dealt with the ends of nylon automotive fuel lines, this will be very similar. If not, you can still learn it. But getting your original part out would obviously be best. Let us know how it went.

-Peter

I picked up the machine a while ago, needed some work but not too bad. I have tried soaking the connection from outside with descaler without any improvement.

Might need to resort to brute force....!

Cheers

Hi all, I joined the BDB club this week and am extremely impressed already. I want to find a naked portafilter and am struggling. I've read that Gaggia classic portafilters fit the BDB (lugs are just at a different orientation but still works). Has anyone on here tested this by any chance?

Pullman have them in stock. Search "Breville ('Naked') Portafilter BES920 980"

Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 949575859