Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mwcalder05

Thread: Sunbeam 6910 manual mode timer limit increase

Sunbeam 6910 manual mode timer limit increase

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    When you use the manual button on the Sunbeam EM6910, the pump will run for a maximum of 60 seconds, before shutting off. Has anyone figured out a way to increase this limit? The manual does not show a method of reprogramming that variable, but I would be willing to poke inside the machine if there is a way.

Why?.........(just found out you can't send a message of less than 10 characters!)

On mine it's more like 40 seconds not 60. Maybe yours has already been modded?

Why do you want to change it? I think the manual says it's a safety feature to turn off the pump after 240mls, presumably to prevent cup overflows, but you can just press the Manual button again if you want extra pour.

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    but you can just press the Manual button again if you want extra pour.
    Just think of the first extraction as a pre-infuser :P but in all seriousness, putting that pressure through an all ready extruded, moist puck absolutely screams channelling to me. And it does..so I wouldn't recommend that at all.

Any particular reason for the mod OP?

Michael
    Mariner likes this.

I'm trying to programme the single on mine, and it seems to have some kind of limit that doesn't let me programme for a double (reason is, I have programmed my double shot for a triple/quad!)

It programs okay, but then if I use it, it runs for much shorter and extracts much less.

Mine is limited to 240ml on manual, I don't know why you'd want to exceed that or 60 seconds other than for preheating glasses/group handle. It would be one epic Lungo...

@Michael - I have done it and not had channelling - only when I've gotten an almost choked dropple for a coffee (dropple - a dribble of continuous drops - my new word ) and was curious. I ended up with a 60 second pour, no blonding in the crema and a lovely coffee. Not recommended but possible.

@Darkfalz - try programming the Program one instead of the Single. My impression (it isn't stated) from the manual is the double and singles are hard coded for the amount of water.

Doubles and singles are programmable.
    it's in them manual how to change them.
    I had my single programmed for a double ristretto with regular double basket
    and my double programmed for almost 80ml as i was using an 18g basket and wanted the extra volume split across two travel mugs.

but Then i just started using the manual button and didin;t bother with the programmed ones

Yeah, you're right Robbks - for some reason I had it around the wrong way, thinking the Program button was for personalised pours and the single and double were set volumes. Apart from checking how my grind was doing, I've only ever used the Manual button. Maybe I could do a program for the decaf I make for the missus and one for my lungo when i have it...

Quote Originally Posted by peteru View Post
    When you use the manual button on the Sunbeam EM6910, the pump will run for a maximum of 60 seconds, before shutting off. Has anyone figured out a way to increase this limit? The manual does not show a method of reprogramming that variable, but I would be willing to poke inside the machine if there is a way.
    This is correct - the pump will run for a maximum of 60 seconds. It is a factory setting for safety and longevity of the machine. Also, just a thought, the thermoblock may also struggle with temperature consistency on a long poor if the shot isn't a choker.......come to think of it, if you are extracting that long then choker or gusher you are not going to be enjoying the potential fruits of the machines labours anyway and flavours from temperature inconsistencies are not that big a concern. Hence, why I do not believe you can change that programming - it is best for the machine and there really is no need to do so in seeking a great espresso shot.

If you are after a great espresso or ristretto I would certainly advise not to press the button for an extra shot if you have just had a choker with minimal extraction. If your pour is too tight, the oils will separate out of extraction and your shot won't taste any good. Pressing the button again won't extract any more liquid gold that you seek. If you had a gusher and want more liquid in the pour then I sincerely apologise for wasting your time with the above spiel as you are not seeking a delicious espresso heaven. Discharge the puck, refill and adjust your grind as necessary until you get the correct extraction for the basket size used in approximately 30 seconds.

Assuming you do not still have the wretched plastic insert in the portafilter.....then if you have (fresh beans) just the right grind, volume and a decent tamp so that you have no channelling, there is no reason why espresso nirvana shall not be the fruits of your labour.
    Last edited by Mariner; 5th December 2013 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Typo

Finally got some time to come back and check the forums. Thanks for all the responses. Main reason is: I want to because I don't like hardcoded limits. ;-)

Majority of my shots run in the 40 second range, so for normal operation the limit is not an issue.

Every now and then, I can have a slow pour (when I have been careless) which is acceptable for things like iced coffee / milkshake, where the flavours contributed by some over-extraction or slow extraction are fine. It would be convenient to have the machine keep going until *I* decide it's enough. That's just the way I prefer things to work. I also like to tinker with things. :-)

The "limited to 240ml" claim is inaccurate. The limit is 60 seconds of pump operation, including the pre-infuse stage. If you really choke up the machine, you could get 1ml rather than 240ml.

Maybe yet another case of the limitations of the Sunbeam manual. Mentions it 3 times, although it is in sections talking about cleaning etc not pulling shots. And when I've gotten distracted my Manual shot runs for 40 seconds, not 60.
    9. Press the ‘MANUAL’ button (13) and allow the water to run through until the water reservoir is empty.Note: As a safety mechanism the espresso machine is programmed to automatically stop the water flow after 240mls, therefore you will need to press the ‘MANUAL’ button again to restart the water flow.

I pulled out the stop watch and timed it more than once. From the time I press the MANUAL button, to the time the pump stops, it takes between 59.2 and 60.1 seconds. Accounting for various errors, such as reaction time, that makes it 60 seconds. Perhaps the maximum time limit differs between manufacturing batches and that's why you are seeing a different time. It's not uncommon to have microcontroller firmware updates between batches when the parts are factory programmable.

I think the 240ml is a derived value. 240ml divided by 60 seconds gives a maximum 4ml/s flow rate. Obviously that is not the actual expected flow rate when making coffee, since a 30 second espresso shot would result in 120ml at those rates!

The "limited to 240ml" claim is inaccurate. The limit is 60 seconds of pump operation, including the pre-infuse stage. If you really choke up the machine, you could get 1ml rather than 240ml.
    I'm talking about the EM7000. The 240mL limit is specified in the manual. There may be a time limit too but I never let it run that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfalz View Post
    I'm talking about the EM7000.
    In that case you are in the wrong place. This is about the EM6910, up until now no-one mentioned the EM7000, not even you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfalz View Post
    The 240mL limit is specified in the manual.
    I know. The manual does say that, but the reality is that the real world implementation does not have a way to measure the volume of water that has been expelled. The real world implementation on my EM6910 has a 60 second time limit.

Anyway, none of this really matters. The answer to my original questions seems to be that no one around here knows of a way of changing that limit. That's not really surprising. I posted on the off-chance that someone has been doing some mods/hacking on the EM6910 and knew a bit about the internals. Seems not.

In that case you are in the wrong place. This is about the EM6910, up until now no-one mentioned the EM7000, not even you.

I know. The manual does say that, but the reality is that the real world implementation does not have a way to measure the volume of water that has been expelled. The real world implementation on my EM6910 has a 60 second time limit.

Anyway, none of this really matters. The answer to my original questions seems to be that no one around here knows of a way of changing that limit. That's not really surprising. I posted on the off-chance that someone has been doing some mods/hacking on the EM6910 and knew a bit about the internals. Seems not.
    Hi Peteru

Apart from the new wave of 250ml "coffee shots" I cannot see why you need to do this. BTW, the schematics "show" you how to override this if you really have to (I discovered it "along the way" when manually recalibrating the pump pressure on the mainboard of one of my 6910's), however terminal pump damage would be the most likely result. A plumbed boiler just runs down on pressure, a thermoblock just keeps pumping. AFAIC recall, the 6910 has no temp sensor on the pump which is why it will pump 240ml of H2O, not coffee.

FWIW, I have been toying with the idea of using a commercial rotary pump (i.e. my La Pav one as a trial) on my older 6910 out of sheer curiosity / perversity. The first thing I would have to bo would be to bypass the cutoff if I wanted to make a coffee shot. The next thing would be to moderate the pressure down to 9 bar again quickly after first turning it on (pictures thermoblock littering the roof space: Oops).

Enjoy your cuppa

TampIt

Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    BTW, the schematics "show" you how to override this if you really have to
    Now you have my interest.

Where can the schematics be (freely) obtained? Even if I don't make this particular modification, they would be good to have at the ready, in case something starts playing up one day.

Thanks.

About 3 threads up,
    Pinned to the top of the page
    Documentation - Midrange

I doubt anything beyond what is listed in the manual is programmable.