Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dragunov21

Thread: Need advice on Gaggia Classic vs old Isomac Cappuccina/Viper/Napolissima

Need advice on Gaggia Classic vs old Isomac Cappuccina/Viper/Napolissima

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So I found a 2002 Gaggia Classic at the curb on a council clean up day, and decided to take it, and after a descale, it seems to work. It's also missing a portafilter. My machine right now is a slightly older Isomac Cappuccina/Viper/Napolissima, that has a few quirks like mild group leakage, broken basket retention mechanism, and a steam knob that's temporarily being fixed by plumber's tape. Whilst these don't matter to me, the would probably make the resale value very low.

My question is; is it worth it to order a portafilter for ~$55-72 for the classic, and get possible slightly better results, or should I simply sell the Classic and stay with my Isomac?

Get a naked and a good basket. If you don't like it more that your isomac you can still flog it for a profit.

Thanks Dragunov, didn't see your post until now.

Update: I bought a cheaper used portafilter with both baskets and a plastic tamper; everything I needed to get started. I don't think I can ever go back to a sub-58mm group now. However, the Gaggia needs a steam valve replacement.

STEAM VALVE GAGGIA CLASSIC - EF0045/01/A

As one can see on the above website, there are two varieties of the Gaggia Classic steam valve. My current steam valve is the brass-coloured one. Does anybody here know if both work on the classic, or if they changed it in the different iterations of the classic?

Get a properly-fitting tamper, even a $20 aluminium cheapy off eBay, and an EP Precision basket from Talk_Coffee. Trust me

Those valves appear to be identical apart from the body material, and indeed appear to be the same part number. Go nuts (or if you have a dremel, remove 5mm from the end of the body through which the valve stem protrudes, which will allow you to unscrew and remove the valve stem and clean/polish it, rather than replacing the valve, if it's just an issue of leaking)
    guywhodoesstuff likes this.