Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By darrend
  • 1 Post By TampIt

Thread: Goop inside my Silvia pump

Goop inside my Silvia pump

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I discovered the pictured purple goop at the inlet nipple of the pump in my Silvia whilst apart for cleaning today. The rubber hose from the tank to this inlet also had some purple goop at the attachment end, as well as a small amount of what looked like some mould or bacteria. Needless to say I've cleaned it out, though the pump nipple seems to be stained with the stuff. I'm just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about - presumably minute amounts of this are building up in my coffee. It seems to have built up over about 6 months since last apart for cleaning. The machine is about 18 months old and has been making about 1-2 brews a day.

Folks, any ideas?

Attached Images Attached Images

interesting, I would like to know as well, never heard of it before but one just never knows whats going on inside a water pump.

Have you changed your cleaning regimen? A new or different descaler?

Has your water source changed? Are you using filtered water and the filter needs replacing?

Java "Land of the Purple People Eaters" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Hmmm... not that I can think of, and the descaler is one I've used the last few times.

I moved from the New England area back to Sydney early this year, so yes my water source has changed. The water I use comes from the kitchen sink filter, which is probably mildly better than Sydney tapwater, but alas is not coffee snob quality filtration.

I hope whatever this muck is, it's edible!
    smokey likes this.

Hi darrend

I haven't used a Silvia in anger for a few years now. So this may be way off beam.

Looks like the drop of lube they often put in things like that to help it slide on. It is supposed to dry in place and act as a very mild adhesive with a very low shear strength to allow for later removal without damaging the connection. Comes in sky blue, purple & yellow depending upon brand. It initially acts a bit like a very weak, slippery version of loctite, if that makes sense.

Toxic: no idea. I do not even know how to find out what is in it short of dropping in on one of my engineering clients and checking out a vat of the stuff.

Hope this helps.

TampIt
    smokey likes this.

Well I was hoping it might be something along those lines. Hopefully it's food-grade lube!