Thread: My Sunbeam EM7000 + Breville Smart Grinder

My Sunbeam EM7000 + Breville Smart Grinder

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey everyone - I did post something similar on the 'feedback' thread but wanted to say hello and pass on my thanks to all the help that this great forum has provided me when pulling a shot and texturing on the EM7000.

I came from a Sunbeam Cafe Latte and their bladed grinder (just sold). I guess all coffee virgins have been there (or is it just me?!). Needless to say it just didn't get me a good shot, and the grinder most-certainly wasn't helping. But when it takes 3mins to texture milk and it doesn't even get hot then its time to go! Basically that combination was a failure. Why didn't I get a Breville Dual Boiler now?
    I did want a Breville Dual Boiler but it was simply a case of $$$. I also don't make coffee at home uber-regularly so thought this Sunbeam would suit better (rather than water just sitting there in the boilers). Sunbeam have a promotion in NZ at the moment for a free grinder but I read rave things about the Breville so I opted for that and will sell the sunbeam grinder to finance this mean little package. I attach a picture of the new setup below.

It has taken me about 15 pulls to get to a really nice latte Sounds like a lot but I realised once I got this set up that I really didn't have a clue about what it takes to make 'real' espresso. This forum was so helpful once I read all the good guidance. I discovered I was under-dosing and ending up with pucks stuck to the shower screen, grinding too fine and getting a little carried away with the tamp pressure. Incidentally, I used a trick from youtube where you put uncooked rice into the portafilter to gauge the level in the basket. Worked a treat rather than the coin method, and gave me a base level to work from. Thankfully I have a good dose and grind dialed in on the smart grinder which delivers a good pour with a nice crema. I suspect once I get some fresh beans things will improve taste wise - as well as some adjustment as the current beans I have been practicing on are fair trade beans! The shot still feels slightly watery to me....I am using the single cup default on the EM7000 which I believe is set to pour 30mls? I may take that down to 25mls and see how the taste goes. I tried a finer grind but ended up with a long extraction.

As far as technical issues go I haven't noticed anything crazy aside from one issue. When I got it I did notice that when you push the water reservoir in the back it wasn't that 'positive'. I thought nothing of it and proceeded to do the tank flush which the manual recommends for new machines (I do recommend this as there were oily deposits in the water when I finished). After two shots I noticed water all over the benchtop! It seemed to be coming out of one of the feet of the machine. Also when I was doing the flush it made a hell of a racket at one point and said I needed to fill the tank when there was 2L left! I was convinced I had a dud, packed it down and sulked as it was Xmas eve and this was my present to myself I had a hunch about the water tank and upon inspection I could see that the 'O' ring in the female component that accepts the tank had dislodged. This certainly explained the odd feeling when inserting the tank, and the epic leak. It was an easy fix (push in the O ring). Voila! No leaks, no problems. Not overly impressed however as this is a pretty basic component of the machine....quality control hmmmm.

Aside from that - super happy! The highlights for me are the epic amount of steam, and being able to steam at the same time as pulling a shot. Smart Grinder? Does what it is mean't to do without any fuss and given what I am tasting - does a good job from my limited experience.

Questions: can you back flush this machine after use without using a cleaning tablet every time? Also, how quiet is it meant to be? I see some online reviews mention it is "whisper quiet" but for me its pretty 'normal'...I can definitely hear it pulling a shot from across the lounge (not 'loud though').

Happy holidays
    [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Fallingleaf; 26th December 2013 at 04:30 PM.

I have the exact same combo as yours, got them 6 months ago. The EM7000 has been faultless, the breville is now grinding on its finest setting, so I ordered some shim kits, but yet to receive them.

How loud is you EM7000 when pulling a shot Brissienew? My breville is on about 22 at the moment (3 notches in from finest) - should I expect some creep after a while? I have been using lousy coffee sadly so I cannot wait to get some freshly roasted goodness - being the holidays makes it tough!

Can you backflush this sunbeam without using the cleaning disc? E.g just putting the rubber puck in the basket and running a shot till the gauge hits red?

Quote Originally Posted by Fallingleaf View Post
    How loud is you EM7000 when pulling a shot Brissienew? My breville is on about 22 at the moment (3 notches in from finest) - should I expect some creep after a while? I have been using lousy coffee sadly so I cannot wait to get some freshly roasted goodness - being the holidays makes it tough!

Can you backflush this sunbeam without using the cleaning disc? E.g just putting the rubber puck in the basket and running a shot till the gauge hits red?
    It is not loud at all when just pulling a shot. texturing of the milk is louder, the grinder is much much louder and would often wake my kids up in the morning.
    My breville did creep up, was on several notches from the finest, 6 month later it is on the finest setting.
    Not exactly sure about backflushing without the cleaning tablet, but really can't see any problem with it. The worse thing that can happen is not cleaning it enough.

You should back flush with water after each session and use a cleaner every couple of weeks or so dependent on usage. While back flushing do a wiggle with the PF to flush coffee grinds from the group and gasket area.

Cheers

Cheers guys - gave it a backflush (figure it can't do harm as it is the same procedure minus the cleaning tablet). Amazing how much gets up in there!

Finally there after realising my tamp was too hard but grind too coarse. I was getting a sour aftertaste (good taste throughout though) but that has gone now...
    IMG_32731.jpg

Good stuff!!

Cheers

Hey guys
    Ive just picked up this combo to
    Getting good results so far.
    Any tips that you can share? What settings are you using on the grinder? I use the single shot basket but the shot dosent seem very strong. Beans are fresh from a local roastery.

cheers
    Homz

Hi Homz

Grinder setting (as in the number on the scale) is not comparable between grinders. You should just aim to keep your dose and tamp consistent and vary the grind to get the magic ~60ml (double) in ~30 seconds.

Using the double basket makes it generally much easier to get good results compared to a single basket.

Do a search here, heaps of great fundamental info that applies to all machines.

Cheers

Thanks artman, do I just use the same amount of coffee whether I'm pouring a single or double shot?
    thanks for the help.

cheers
    homz

No I mean use a double basket all the time, it will be much easier to get consistently good results. Dose so the tamped level of coffee in the basket is just under the shower screen (search for 5 cent test ). Keep this constant as well as the tamp pressure and it will only leave the grind as your variable.

Cheers

Also note if you change your grind the quantity of coffee dispensed by the smart grinder will vary as it is a times dose. The coarser the grind the more the dose as the beans grind faster.

Cheers

Hey guys,

I have the same machine but I am using Sunbeam 450 grinder.
    I have to grind the coffee too coarse ( level 20) to get the coffee pressure in orange zone. is it normal? cause by going through the previous threads it seems like every one is grinding coffee too fine around level 7 0r 8 , but at that level all I get is awatery undrinkable shot. can any one help me please?

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2986 View Post
    Hey guys,

I have the same machine but I am using Sunbeam 450 grinder.
    I have to grind the coffee too coarse ( level 20) to get the coffee pressure in orange zone. is it normal? cause by going through the previous threads it seems like every one is grinding coffee too fine around level 7 0r 8 , but at that level all I get is awatery undrinkable shot. can any one help me please?
    That doesn't make sense to me. Watery shots would normally be from the grind being too coarse (or tamp to light)

Does seem odd. Unless perhaps you are having bad channelling problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Honest_Gaza View Post
    That doesn't make sense to me. Watery shots would normally be from the grind being too coarse (or tamp to light)
    Doesnt make sense to me either it s better when I grind nearly coarse .

What is bad channelling problem? something wrong with the new machine?
    Last edited by SGM2986; 28th March 2014 at 12:25 PM.

No, I don't think so.

Channeling is the term given to the uneven flow of water through the puck. If your coffee is not well distributed in the filter basket, there will be more flow where there is less coffee. This reduces the overall resistance to flow (so you get a faster pour).

Distribution can be (in my experience) harder to achieve with a finer grind, which could possibly explain why you are getting faster flow with a finer grind.

You can try experimenting with different ways to distribute the coffee and see if it helps? There are a few methods detailed here on the forum (I think one is known as the wiess distribution technique?).