Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By nicovington

Thread: Boiler light on my Silvia

Red face Boiler light on my Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello Snobs,

I just got the Silvia V3 and am pretty chuffed, the drinks are delicious and potent. I may be a bit overly cautious but am having a few anxieties I'd really like some opinions on.

1. When I turn it on, I check it's boiler is full by running water through the group head or out of the steam wand. I put the on/off switch on along with the steam switch, wait until the boiler button goes off and then steam my milk. What worries me is the on/off light flicks on at times during my milk steaming.

To be honest it's a bit confusing getting a grip on the routine, purging & priming and order these things are done in among the brewing and steaming steps etc. So any simplified fail safe routines any of you use would be welcome information too.

Thanks

Meri

Hi Meri,

basically the the steam temp is controlled by a 140C thermostat. When the steam reaches this temp the heater will turn off, as you use steam and the temp drops below this 140C (or there abouts, there is a deadband gap) the heater will turn back on to increase the temp.

you just need to be careful steaming a lot as the boiler is not refilled during steaming process. I personally would not steam more than a medium jug, say 600ml with 300-400ml of actual milk.

if you leave your machine on normally, you will notice that the boiler light turns on and off as the brew temperature goes above and below 100C ( controlled by 100C thermostat)

like you, I always fill the boiler when turning it on by running water through. Make sure that you also purge all the steam out when done steaming as this is the danger zone!

my process:
    1. Turn machine on approx 15-30mins before use. If in a hurry I will purge water through group to assist heating the thermal mass. I also leave the group handle in machine to heat it up too.
    2. Weigh out ground coffee into the basket and tamp using whatever method you like (I like the nutating method with a fairly light final tamp)
    3. Pull your shot. I have a pid to control my temp better than the thermostat, but you can also temp surf, plenty of YouTube videos on this too.
    4. I then brush out the group head and shower screen with a brush and run a bit of water through whilst doing this.
    5. Switch on the steam and wait till up to temp. Steam your milk. Once done steaming, I open up the wand into an empty jug and then switch on the hot water switch and purge all the steam out till a constant hot water, and then I activate the brew switch, close steam valve and then turn off hot water switch. This just ensures a bit of heat is transferred back to group handle for my next shot. Make sure you have turned off the steam switch before you start purging.
    6. Repeat 2-5 for additional coffees.

note:
    1. I have a pid installed which shows me the temp. My brew temp is typically 104 or 106 depending on bean (this is the boiler temp)
    2. I start steaming at 130C before the steam heater turns off, this gives you a bit more steaming power. Without the pid, you can do similar by counting approx how long it takes for steam light to turn off, and then start say 5-10sec before that time.
    3. Pid makes process a lot more straight forward for more than one coffee, but you can make perfectly good coffee without it and just some practice.

regards,
    nic
    Last edited by nicovington; 28th December 2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Meri, okitoki and smokey like this.

Hi, Nic and thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicovington View Post

basically the the steam temp is controlled by a 140C thermostat. When the steam reaches this temp the heater will turn off, as you use steam and the temp drops below this 140C (or there abouts, there is a deadband gap) the heater will turn back on to increase the temp.

you just need to be careful steaming a lot as the boiler is not refilled during steaming process. I personally would not steam more than a medium jug, say 600ml with 300-400ml of actual milk.

if you leave your machine on normally, you will notice that the boiler light turns on and off as the brew temperature goes above and below 100C ( controlled by 100C thermostat)

like you, I always fill the boiler when turning it on by running water through. Make sure that you also purge all the steam out when done steaming as this is the danger zone!
    That makes it make sense! I was scared the light off meant trouble and also letting out the free steam seemed such a long process that it had me wondering if it was me misreading the "how to" somehow. Guess it just is long though.

Quote Originally Posted by nicovington View Post
    my process:
    1. Turn machine on approx 15-30mins before use. If in a hurry I will purge water through group to assist heating the thermal mass. I also leave the group handle in machine to heat it up too.
    2. Weigh out ground coffee into the basket and tamp using whatever method you like (I like the nutating method with a fairly light final tamp)
    3. Pull your shot. I have a pid to control my temp better than the thermostat, but you can also temp surf, plenty of YouTube videos on this too.
    4. I then brush out the group head and shower screen with a brush and run a bit of water through whilst doing this.
    5. Switch on the steam and wait till up to temp. Steam your milk. Once done steaming, I open up the wand into an empty jug and then switch on the hot water switch and purge all the steam out till a constant hot water, and then I activate the brew switch, close steam valve and then turn off hot water switch. This just ensures a bit of heat is transferred back to group handle for my next shot. Make sure you have turned off the steam switch before you start purging.
    6. Repeat 2-5 for additional coffees.

note:
    1. I have a pid installed which shows me the temp. My brew temp is typically 104 or 106 depending on bean (this is the boiler temp)
    2. I start steaming at 130C before the steam heater turns off, this gives you a bit more steaming power. Without the pid, you can do similar by counting approx how long it takes for steam light to turn off, and then start say 5-10sec before that time.
    3. Pid makes process a lot more straight forward for more than one coffee, but you can make perfectly good coffee without it and just some practice.

regards,
    nic
    Thanks very much, I will look for Temp Surfing on UTube, There a a fair few steps here, I make the coffee half asleep after I get up, almost do the same as you in step 5. So am sort of on the right track for sure, I guess it is like auto after a while. I'm a novice and am hoping to get started with out to many bad habits. Thanks again.
    All the best

Meri