Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TampIt

Thread: Question about new EM6910.

Question about new EM6910.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi CS's!

It's my first post here. Been lurking for awhile, and since purchasing the Sunbeam EM6910 pack with the 0440 grinder a week ago, I've been reading all through Journeyman's experiences with the machine. As well as many others also.

I paid $500 for the combo from The Good Guy's, with a bartered for extended warranty thrown in. :-) (All the things I've read here helped with this decision).

After a week with the machine in getting pretty good coffee out if it. Very happy with it indeed. I'm using the standard "2 cup" basket with fresh local roasted beans and a grind setting of 7-8 on the 0440. I'm getting 30mls in around 25-30 seconds. It's not bad at all, but I'll be ditching the SB baskets for a VST very soon!

Now to cut to the chase! My question is whether it is normal for the machine to make very slight, yet audible noises when plugged to mains, but turned off at the unit?! It's like a ticking noise. It is very faint, but can be heard easily when putting your ear up to the left side vents.

Please tell me this is normal!! Also thank you all for the fantastic information here on CS's regarding these products! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MrSoulSong View Post
    Hi CS's!

It's my first post here. Been lurking for awhile, and since purchasing the Sunbeam EM6910 pack with the 0440 grinder a week ago, I've been reading all through Journeyman's experiences with the machine. As well as many others also.

I paid $500 for the combo from The Good Guy's, with a bartered for extended warranty thrown in. :-) (All the things I've read here helped with this decision).

After a week with the machine in getting pretty good coffee out if it. Very happy with it indeed. I'm using the standard "2 cup" basket with fresh local roasted beans and a grind setting of 7-8 on the 0440. I'm getting 30mls in around 25-30 seconds. It's not bad at all, but I'll be ditching the SB baskets for a VST very soon!

Now to cut to the chase! My question is whether it is normal for the machine to make very slight, yet audible noises when plugged to mains, but turned off at the unit?! It's like a ticking noise. It is very faint, but can be heard easily when putting your ear up to the left side vents.

Please tell me this is normal!! Also thank you all for the fantastic information here on CS's regarding these products! :-)
    Hi MrSoulSong

Yes, it is normal. One of the byproducts of the US controlling the global market for almost everything is not widely known. They do not have switches on their powerpoints and almost every consumer device has a cheap "power switch" which does not actually isolate the transformer from the mains, it merely does not power up the rest of the unit. Probably saves as much as 10 cents per unit in manufacturing and contributes massively to global warming.

Over there you need to unplug everything to stop it. Most advanced societies use switches on the powerpoints, which also reduces the fire risk.

Short answer: turn it off on the mains or, like most other appliances, it will use some power.

TampIt
    MrSoulSong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    Hi MrSoulSong

Yes, it is normal. One of the byproducts of the US controlling the global market for almost everything is not widely known. They do not have switches on their powerpoints and almost every consumer device has a cheap "power switch" which does not actually isolate the transformer from the mains, it merely does not power up the rest of the unit. Probably saves as much as 10 cents per unit in manufacturing and contributes massively to global warming.

Over there you need to unplug everything to stop it. Most advanced societies use switches on the powerpoints, which also reduces the fire risk.

Short answer: turn it off on the mains or, like most other appliances, it will use some power.

TampIt
    Thanks for the informative response TampIt! It makes a lot of sense. I was not aware that the US did not make use of switches on their power points.

The power point I use is behind my fridge, and I run a small extension to an adapter for the 6910 and 0440. So I'd have to unplug them. Might be better to invest in a small power board with a switch, or wack in a new outlet entirely.

Rbn
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSoulSong View Post
    or wack in a new outlet entirely.
    This would be the way to go, those multi plugs, well, one just failed on me.
    Ruined a freezer full of meat, maybe $2000.00 worth.

Decent multi-outlets are very reliable but they cost a bit more than the ones from K-mart and the like. The surge protector ones (usually a red button on them) also need to be reset regularly, particularly in areas where power might fluctuate - we has line tests done at a business I worked at and had 3 that were virtually useless after less than 3 months; hit the reset and they were fine again.

Most people don't know about the reset need.

The inbuilt switch can also go faulty (from memory I think it was a "thyristor"...but don't quote me on that).

During my days of ownership of the EM6910, I used to turn it off at the Machine only and leave the power point switched on. I was woken up in the early morning one day with my machine doing its own cleaning cycle even though I had turned off the Machine's power switch.

Ever since then I have always turned it off at the power point when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    This would be the way to go, those multi plugs, well, one just failed on me.
    Ruined a freezer full of meat, maybe $2000.00 worth.
    Yeah, it would be the ultimate solution. Oh no, that's got to hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    Decent multi-outlets are very reliable but they cost a bit more than the ones from K-mart and the like. The surge protector ones (usually a red button on them) also need to be reset regularly, particularly in areas where power might fluctuate - we has line tests done at a business I worked at and had 3 that were virtually useless after less than 3 months; hit the reset and they were fine again.

Most people don't know about the reset need.
    A decent surge protector one with a main switch, is probably what I'll use in the meantime while I work out where to put a new power point outlet. I'm not entirely keen on the idea of using an extension either. I know with non belt-driven air compressors, it is not recommended due to potential voltage drop. Not sure if it applies here exactly, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Honest_Gaza View Post
    The inbuilt switch can also go faulty (from memory I think it was a "thyristor"...but don't quote me on that).

During my days of ownership of the EM6910, I used to turn it off at the Machine only and leave the power point switched on. I was woken up in the early morning one day with my machine doing its own cleaning cycle even though I had turned off the Machine's power switch.

Ever since then I have always turned it off at the power point when not in use.
    Yeah one of the reasons why I don't want to leave it on, is that I don't want to rely on the inbuilt switch. I don't like it ticking away 24/7!

That's crazy about your machine turning on by itself and starting the cleaning cycle! But how considerate of it too! :-P

Oh I just remembered! I once had a lesser SB (Cafe Latte? machine with a little LCD screen) that liked to turn itself on randomly also! It once turned itself on while I was away. Upon returning home I could smell something burning... I touched the machine and it burnt my hand! It was very hot! It could easily have doubled as a frying pan! After cooling down it wouldn't heat back up. Thermal control to the block had gone. The machine was no more, and not worth repairing IMO (out of warranty, cheap machine).

Hey while I've got you guys here I was wondering if you could answer an off topic question for me?

Would a 30ml shot in 25-30 seconds, using the double basket (can't remember how many grams it is sorry!) be considered a double ristretto? This combined with fresh locally roasted beans, for me, is producing coffee that rivals the best I've had!

I'd guess so - given a normal double espresso is 60ml in that time I would say half the amount would count as double ristretto.