Thread: Sunbeam em7000 steam leak?

Sunbeam em7000 steam leak?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I've got a "problem" with my newly purchased em7000 which I'm not sure is a problem or might be in fact normal. After frothing the milk and I turn off the steam wand, a small amount of steam still comes out of the wand for at least another 20 seconds or so. Is this normal?

20 seconds seems a bit long. My 6910 'leaks' for maybe 5 seconds after I turn off the steam - I try to remove the milk just before that happens and then also give it a blast to clear the tip.

If you don't get a response soon from a 7000 owner, maybe PM Darkfalz and ask if his is like that?

Thanks Journeyman ... maybe it might be slightly less than 20 seconds, but I'm just surprised it just doesn't completely shut off completely when turning off the steam. I find myself also having to remove the milk quickly so it doesn't cause large bubbles to form in the milk as a result of this leaking steam and water

My normal technique (& it has been discussed on here by others) is to turn off the steam and as soon as pressure drops a bit, remove the jug quickly, directly along the angle of the wand - like you are sliding it off the wand. This means a small amount of steam is still exiting and this helps rpevent milk heading up the tip and causing later issues with blockages.

I then double up by giving it a blast while I pour or swirl the milk.

Thanks for the tips! Will give it a go. I called Sunbeam and they said a 5-10 second steam leak is normal .... now I just need to time mine to see how long.

mine purges steam for 5 seconds as well

Any system will have a short 'delay' between shutting off the steam and flow stopping completely. Depending on the volume held between the valve and the tip, the size of the tip holes, and the density/temperature of the steam.

If the steam valve is solenoid driven, there may be a 'hidden' closure delay also; between shutting off the steam and the solenoid closing completely. With a manual valve you know exactly when it is fully closed, so the delay would be very short.

With the right information the depressurisation time can be estimated fairly reliably, but it's not really worth the effort!

Well I just timed it and it's worst than I thought! The steam leaks anywhere between 20-45 seconds, so definitely a fault. Luckily I purchased from DJs, so should be a no fuss exchange.

Thanks all for the replies, advice and tips, much appreciated

mine does this too - haven't timed it but its over 10s!

If its any help Jazz mine doesn't leak like that at all. I did have a problem with leaking out of the hot water tap but sunbeam offered a swap. Cheers sunbeam.
    Hardleys weren't to impressed though. Two totally different machines to use aswell. I'd take it back if I were you and get a replacement.

I got the EM7000 exchanged 2 days ago, was a little tricky since most DJs were out of stock of the silver and only had white and red. The new one definitely had fixed the problem, steam shutdown in about 5 seconds or less. I was a bit surprised however that there was a difference in the feel of steam wand, the new one felt easier to move, also the hot water came out slightly differently, difficult to explain. There is definitely inconsistencies between the machines, which is a bit of a concern.

Quick question for other users: when your EM7000 is switched on and heating up, at some point in the 'heating' process does it make a sound as though its venting steam/boiling sort of sound? Mine does and I am just wondering if this is normal...

sure does just normal i think mate.

yep, just normal

Cheers With all the minor issues etc floating around on Sunbeam machines its hard to know what is normal and abnormal!

I had a similar problem with mine but it was more around the stiffness of the control. It had to be forced shut....Sunbeam replaced the Machine.

hi, apologies jumping on this thread, our machine is a few years old now and I have noticed our steam takes longer to shut off than it originally did, is there a washer that needs replacing like a tap? Feels like we need to turn it off harder

Mine had the same problem after about a year, had it repaired, I think it was the
    valve, but it started leaking again soon after, and had progressively got worse. I am going to bring it back again. Just as well I bought the extended warranty.

surprised no one has been able to tell me the part I need, its just a valve after all, maybe even just a washer that needs replacing
    I'll keep searching

maybe I need to replace the whole thing Part Number: - EM70019 Machine EM7000 STEAM REGULATOR