Thread: 6910 steam - switch or pump?

6910 steam - switch or pump?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Folks,
    Our 6910 is 5 1/2 years old (so just out of pump warranty), and is no longer steaming.
    I can hear the switch click on and off, but nothing happens.
    The hot water pump is fine, and it pulls great shots, but nothing coming out of the steam wand.......
    This has happened before, so I paid for the Service Centre to check it out, but it worked perfectly while it was there - $100 for an intermittent :-(
    I was quoted around $150 for a new pump, and am happy to pay if that is the problem, but the previous trip to the doctor has me wondering?
    Has anyone else had this problem, and can advise?
    Thanks - Chris

First: $150 for a new steam pump is ripoff. You can buy it for ~$70 - I just bought one.

2nd: Try running the pump for about 10 minutes or more. Often it seems, the lines clog up and it takes a while before things start moving. The symptom is, you turn the knob and (in a quiet room) you can hear the pump very quietly trying to work. Let it run. Eventually you will get stuff through the nozzle.

If so, go to your roaster and ask for Cino Cleano or their equivalent. It's liquid, quite mild, that you add to the water tank. Run it through your steam wand for 10 - 15 mins and see how it goes. Also do a Program Clean as per manual - I don't bother taking out the shower screen for this - while you have the CC in the water. (make sure you have more than 1L in the tank, put a container capable of holding 1L under the group head)

Then do it all again with clean water.

This should fix things.

If not, look over in http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...ent-guide.html for instructions on opening the machine and look for disconnected wires or corrosion etc. Then come back here...

The pump is fairly easy to replace, so if you can hold a pair of pliers and use a screw driver (and buy a Torx set) you will do fine.

Are Ulka pumps all alike?

Not sure what an ulka pump is but the one I got from Ellis Electric in Melbourne is exactly like both pumps I have here. I presume all 6th have very similar parts or they'd have different part numbers.

Thanks for the detailed suggestions.

Unfortunately, I have done all of that, with it suddenly refusing to start :-(

I have had it turned on since I got up this morning (32C here in Adelaide at 6AM!), and tried it out every time I walked past, and now it's decided to work!

Got me beat - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
    Thanks for the detailed suggestions.

Unfortunately, I have done all of that, with it suddenly refusing to start :-(

I have had it turned on since I got up this morning (32C here in Adelaide at 6AM!), and tried it out every time I walked past, and now it's decided to work!

Got me beat - Chris
    Hi Chris

That sounds like the main thermostat is on the way out. Front right top corner. Known 6910 fault according to the repairers here in Perth: cheap to buy the part, tricky to get the access to install it unless you are handy with dismantling & reassembling gear. Just screws in.

TampIt

I have just fixed my em6910 which had a "no steam" fault.
    I first bought a new steam pump, assuming that was the cause. It wasn't.
    The problem turned out to be a blocked steam thermoblock. Fixing this can be tackled by any practically minded owner but it is a fiddly job.
    See the forum entries under " no steam "

Quote Originally Posted by stewart4 View Post

See the forum entries under " no steam "
    Correction: See entries in the forum under EM6910 Steam pump audibly trying, but nothing happens until minutes have passed...

Red face Bonus!

Bonus!

I was worried that I could not get it to steam (my wife *not* happy about the lack of flat whites!), so I arranged to buy another 6910 through Gumtree.

Even though my machine was now working again, I went to look at the other machine, as I had committed to buy it.

2 years old, used twice and then put into storage, sparkly and shiny as new, plus an EM480 also only used twice - all for $160!

The new machine has pride of place in the kitchen, and the old one is going to work with me :-)

All's well that ends well.......

This morning after drawing my coffees, I turned on the steam wand and nothing happened and had to forgo our steamed milk. I turn to this forum and focussed on one post that said to listen in a quiet room to hear the pump working, and I actually could hear this faintly. I used the pin that came along with the machine and this did not fix it. I then split a bamboo tooth-pick by laying it flat and with a sharp knife, cut in the middle and repeat again on the half. This gave me a longer length to push up the steam wand. I felt resistenace and on the second go, the steam started to flow on. It looks like you need to dig deeper into the steam wand. Thanks to the earlier posts and hope this helps before thinking about dismantling the machine on something more complicated like the switch or pump.

Mn811, if you unscrew the steam wand tip you will be able to get a substantial implement into the spout and clean it more thoroughly.