Thread: Sunbeam EM6910 leak and fast pour?

Sunbeam EM6910 leak and fast pour?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I've had my Sunbeam EM6910 for about 7 years now. Whenever I pull a shot, a lot of water comes out of the group head over the portafilter. The pour is fast and watery, and half the puck sticks to the shower screen.

I changed the seal but this didn't seem to rectify the problem.

Is this a collar issue? I've noticed from various threads that these machines tend to have collar wear issues - I haven't replaced mine yet.
    What is the approximate cost to have this repaired?

It's not necessarily the collar. Does the handle go further to the right than the 6 position?

You can try getting a cardboard carton (cereal one would do) and trace the outside and inside circles from the blue seal, cut it out and sit it above the blue seal when you put it back. i.e. card ring goes between blue seal and grouphead. This can help compensate for wear on the collar 'ramps' where the PF locks in.

I had a few of the overflow issues when I was dosing too high. Try dropping the dose level a mm or 2 and see if it makes a difference.

You might find when you drop the dose the overflow goes away but you're still getting watery shots - take the grind a step finer to compensate.

I bought a new collar thinking mine was an issue - cost about $75 off eBay store. Unused, and sitting in my coffee drawer waiting for possible need in the future. *grins* I also have 3 blue seals (unused) and several other miscellaneous parts including a new steam pump, couple of relays and a microswitch.

What's to bet it is the coffee pump that breaks?

Thanks for the response Journeyman!

The handle does go further to the right - probably around 5 position but it feels quite tight (due to new seal).
    I will give the ol' cardboard / seal trick a go.

Thank you!