Thread: Second hand Silvia V2

Second hand Silvia V2

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi fellow coffee snobs. This is my first post here. I recently acquired a Silvia from a friend of a friend. It had been sitting in his shed for a while after he got an electric shock from touching the case. He said he thought the boiler probably needed replacing. I tested it with my multimeter and confirmed that the element was shorting out to the boiler case. When I removed the boiler I saw this strange white gunk sitting in a pile on the base (see photo attached). Any ideas or advice would be most welcome. :-)

?? Forgot the Photo ??
    Actually, i believe you need a few (5 ?) posts before you can upload a photo to the forum.

yetch, thats scale, a build up of undissolved solids in the water supply, like lime and calcium. No wonder it broke down, no water could have passed through that lump of muck and so the heater element just roasted the boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    yetch, thats scale, a build up of undissolved solids in the water supply, like lime and calcium. No wonder it broke down, no water could have passed through that lump of muck and so the heater element just roasted the boiler.
    Right. So I guess I probably should give it a good all-round de-scale after fitting the new boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbadan View Post
    Right. So I guess I probably should give it a good all-round de-scale after fitting the new boiler.
    Just my humble opinion, but that pic is some crazy amount of scale. I would be pulling the machine to its bare parts and making sure everything is clean, rather than fitting new boiler then finding out there are chunks of that stuff stuck in places where a regular de scale will not fix.

The funny thing is that the stuff was really soft. It just wiped off. I would have thought that scale would be hard...?

scale can be powdery too, as Steve said, go right thru the entire water system and clean it, if its in the boiler is probably everywhere. Good luck and have fun

What the other guys said, now you have it pulled down might as well do the job properly.

Will do. Thanks. :-)