Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Delish007

Thread: EM6910 Repair or Replace?

EM6910 Repair or Replace?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a 5ish year old EM6910 that is failing to power up - either the logic board or pump has gone.

Is it worth repairing or am I throwing more money away.

This is the second $500-$1000 machine I have had - a breville auto machine before.

I would like to go to something that has less electronics and maybe a boiler, either new or second hand.

Would really like to spend <$500 but maybe <$1000 if can be convinced it would be a long term investment.

Is anything possible in that budget - would even consider something manual but need to be able to make up to 6-8 caps in one go.

Any suggestions?

Nuova simonelli (heat exchanger) as long as you don't need hot water. Slick plastic casing saves $, still looks good at can pump it out. $1000 CDN.. long term investment though. You can pull and steam at the same time, but no PID.
    Last edited by Delish007; 30th January 2014 at 03:36 PM.
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Delish007 View Post
    ......You can pull and steam at the same time, but no PID.
    The EM6910 can do this too.

OP, new board is about $80-90, new pump $50 or so. The Sunbeams seem to develop a habit of breaking more stuff once something's gone wrong, maybe it's just my bad luck though. Good time for an upgrade though, your choice.

From memory some topics have gone into what the problem is when the machine doesn't ready itself (lights keep on flashing). I think its either going to be a thermostat or one of the thermoblocks. You can semidiagnose it by warming it up for a while, and checking if top of the steam wand/collar are both hot.

Anyway, if its 5 years old it probably isn't worth fixing, it will only have another few years in it. I say time for an upgrade!