Thread: Silvia temp too hot

Silvia temp too hot

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, I have just cleaned my machine ( done many times ) and now the temp on my machine keeps just going straight to full temp. My pid says up to 160. Does anyone know what could have happened and how to fix? Thanks

If you open the steam valve is it actually steam coming out or just water.

Does it show the heater light as always being on? Sounds like something could have shorted it so it just stays on regardless of buttons.

Would be good to know if the water is actually really hot. If it keeps at that temperature you are in serious risk of damaging the boiler element!!

It definitely is that hot. Just steam coming out when I open steam wand. Shows large heater light on ,

Does the heater light ever go off?

What is the set point on your PID, perhaps somehow this got changed somehow by accident.

Could also be wiring issue somewhere, if you aren't sure how to check whats wrong here, please just take it to a service place, can't imagine it would be too costly!

I have the PID set at 109. Probably a trip to get it serviced is in order. Just thought someone may have seen it before.

Sometimes the pid on my minore seems to play up so I reset it to stock.
    mine is a cigar brand so I hold the up button while I turn it on.
    I dont know what you have on the silvia but 109 sounds too high to me and would mean the water is boiling inside the vessel creating steam.
    I would also have thought the thermal cutout would have been triggered also.
    Last edited by lakeman; 15th February 2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by lakeman View Post
    I dont know what you have on the silvia but 109 sounds too high to me and would mean the water is boiling inside the vessel creating steam.
    109 C is a typical brew temp setting on a Silvia PID.
    The PID should be controlling the temp and preventing it getting up to 160, so somethig has happened to thePID setting.
    If you cant fault find it yourself, you need to find someone who has experience with that system.

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    109 C is a typical brew temp setting on a Silvia PID.
    The PID should be controlling the temp and preventing it getting up to 160, so somethig has happened to thePID setting.
    If you cant fault find it yourself, you need to find someone who has experience with that system.
    imo 109 is too high, definitely the top end of pid temps.. 106 is a good starting point and 1-2 degree either side depending on bean. Highest I've found useful is 106 and another bean was 104. Ymmv etc etc