Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Javaphile

Thread: Silvia & Rocky - Preparation and Checks Before Use

Smile Silvia & Rocky - Preparation and Checks Before Use

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all members,

I am a new "baby" to coffee making and this is my first post to the forum ! Really excited as I have just purchased a set of Silvia and Rocky of about 3.5 years and both units look to be in real good conditions. I would like to seek for the kind advices from all the "Experts" on the following :
    - what preparation and checks would be recommended before I start using them (descaling etc etc). I have basically cleaned the Silvia (ins and outs), removed the top steel plate and it's internals are in excellent conditions (no sign of leaks etc) - shining. Rocky is a unit with doser with some grinded coffee in the doser which I have removed (but still with traces of them)
    - where do I get descaling "pils" or chemicals (I'm in Perth)
    - other good advices (even basics)

I am still trying to get a copy of the manual for both as self study (as I think these must contain all the basic instruction but maybe not for a used unit which conditions are unknown to me). Apologies for all the incorrect "coffee language" I may have used --- still a "baby" looking to "grow" !

May thanks !!

Hi Ezecof

I'm new to the Rancilio Silvia myself--just had mine for a month so won't pretend to tell you how to use it yet. However, there is a manual available for the Silvia as a pdf here http://www.partsguru.com/user/rancil...manual.pdf.pdf I should add that the manual that comes with the machine is not that comprehensive!

It's a great machine--mine is paired with a Breville Smartgrind that I've had for while. The grinder needed a shim kit, but now the coffees are pretty darned good!.

Stuart

Hi EzeCof.

Welcome, and just as a disclaimer I am not an expert.
    I'm sure you will get a lot of enjoyment out of your new to you combo.
    If you haven't done it already I would suggest to remove the shower screen (by undoing bolt or machine screw in centre) and soaking the shower screen, water distributor and brass block in the solution/product you use for back flushing. 1/2 an hour should be plenty with some occasional scrubbing. May be handy especially if your not familiar with the past owners cleaning frequency.

Cheers, Andy

Quote Originally Posted by StuartPeel View Post
    I'm new to the Rancilio Silvia myself--just had mine for a month so won't pretend to tell you how to use it yet. However, there is a manual available for the Silvia as a pdf here http://www.partsguru.com/user/rancil...manual.pdf.pdf I should add that the manual that comes with the machine is not that comprehensive!
    No need to go hunting elsewhere for the Silvia manual. It is right here on CS in the Midrange documentation section along with many other machines manuals.

Java " http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...ce-manual.html " phile
    axisa and StuartPeel like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!