Thread: 6910 pressure guage issue and wet puck

6910 pressure guage issue and wet puck

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone, my first post..

If anyone has had similar issues as these id love to hear if you managed to fix them.

Lately Ive been noticing the coffee puck after a brew is just swimming in water, super sloppy. Ive tried changing the grind but it doesnt make a difference. Ive been using the same grind (the finest on a cheap delonghi burr grinder) for ages and no issues, ive also noticed that the pressure gauge is hardly moving, unless i pack a huge load of coffee and tamp it hard, the gauge climbs and climbs but no coffee comes out. The gauge used to go straight to halfway for a brew. I use the double walled 2 cup basket. After reading a few forums on here i realised that my machine isnt doing that suction thing at the end, maybe this is why the puck is so wet? Is there anything i can clean out?

Ive run 2 cleaning tablets through the system and removed the shower head and cleaned everything, it was all a bit grubby but now that its clean theres no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Hah ok basically if you want decent results, get a decent grinder (minimum is a sunbeam em0480) and ditch the double walled baskets. Your gauge is reading fine, you just cant get a good grind for the machine. Your 3 way valve is probably OK, the only reason why it might be stuffed is from lack of backflushing. Find the backflushing disc on the door for the water tank and use it - after every session! Also get some cafetto or similar backflushing detergent for use every month or so. Plenty more info can be found on this site.

Best of luck!

Latte Lament
    If you are not hearing the sound of the valve at the end it could be blocked.
    You will know if it's blocked by checking the drip tray. Take the grill off the bottom and pull a shot into your mug whilst holding it in the air or use back flush disc in the porta filter and see if anything comes out of the valve. Or just dry the drip tray and see if it's wet after you pull your shot.
    If it is blocked it is most like coffee grounds in the valve. Grab some thick fishing line or a thin piece of wire from a paper clip and Gently push it in to dislodge it. I say gently because it's just silicone tubing attached to that valve and you don't want to pierce it. Then run a few descales with the back flush disc to dissolve the grinds in the tube.
    Anyway hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by burr View Post
    Hah ok basically if you want decent results, get a decent grinder (minimum is a sunbeam em0480) and ditch the double walled baskets. Your gauge is reading fine, you just cant get a good grind for the machine. Your 3 way valve is probably OK, the only reason why it might be stuffed is from lack of backflushing. Find the backflushing disc on the door for the water tank and use it - after every session! Also get some cafetto or similar backflushing detergent for use every month or so. Plenty more info can be found on this site.

Best of luck!
    Thanks, I went up to my local and ordered a bag of coffee that has been specifically ground for my machine so it will be interesting to see how that goes. Looks like i might be on the hunt for a decent grinder if that works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Latte Lament View Post
    If you are not hearing the sound of the valve at the end it could be blocked.
    You will know if it's blocked by checking the drip tray. Take the grill off the bottom and pull a shot into your mug whilst holding it in the air or use back flush disc in the porta filter and see if anything comes out of the valve. Or just dry the drip tray and see if it's wet after you pull your shot.
    If it is blocked it is most like coffee grounds in the valve. Grab some thick fishing line or a thin piece of wire from a paper clip and Gently push it in to dislodge it. I say gently because it's just silicone tubing attached to that valve and you don't want to pierce it. Then run a few descales with the back flush disc to dissolve the grinds in the tube.
    Anyway hope that helps
    Thanks heaps for that, i tried what you said and a little bit of water did dribble out into the drip tray, is this normal? Im not sure what indicates a blockage. And where is the silicone tubing i need to clear out? Is it the part that goes into the back of the drip tray?

Quote Originally Posted by daveintheshade View Post
    Thanks, I went up to my local and ordered a bag of coffee that has been specifically ground for my machine so it will be interesting to see how that goes. Looks like i might be on the hunt for a decent grinder if that works out.

OK, seeing as you suggested that it was the grind that was the problem i decided i would eliminate that.
    I went to my local coffee place and ordered a bag of Campos beans that have been ground specifically for a sunbeam machine, the grind is indeed a lot finer than what i can get at home so it looks like its shopping time for me.

However, i still have the same problem. I used the single wall double basket, packed it pretty tight and full. The pressure gauge on the machine moved nearly up to the 1/4 way mark by the time the coffee was done. The was no pressure relief sound at the end of the brew like what the machine used to do and the puck was still very wet. I did get a creme on the coffee and it was better tasting than when i use the double walled basket, however i still feel like I'm not getting the most from the machine..

Any more suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by daveintheshade View Post
    Not sure just how they could grind coffee specifically for your machine without having the machine there to match the grind to the way its set up, all machines are different.

Its a process, you need the machine and the grinder on the same bench, then start grinding, pulling shots and adjusting the grinder until you get to a point that you are producing coffee your happy with.

Good luck.

Also, how long between when the coffee was ground, and when you used it?

Be generous with the cleaning sessions. Sounds like getting it to backflush/cleaning the whole system is a priority, before the 'custom ground' Campos beans.

1st test:

Get your double walled basket and Mount it on the machine. Without coffee inside it, pretend you are pouring a shot. Water should come out, and the pressure gauge should go between 11 and 1 o'clock position. If it doesn't, you may need the cleaning tool with the thin metal spikes on it (commonly stored on the blind silicone filter on the inside of the door where you take out the water container).

2nd test.

I gather you have taken off the shower screen, and cleaned all the small holes of the coffee oils. Look up where it bolts on, and press the button, as if you are going to pour a shot. Does it come out evenly? If not, you may need to run some cleaner through via the water tank.

There are two ways this machine is cleaned with chemicals. One is via the tablet. It is put on top of the blind filter, and you activate cleaning mode. It does dozens of backflushes. Put the shower screen, basket, and anything else you want cleaned of oils, in the bowl to catch the used cleaning solution.

After your machine is clean backflush it with the blind filter (no chemicals) at the conclusion of use for the day.

The second way is cleaning via solution in the water tank. Sunbeam say you can use Vinegar (see manual for dosage) or purpose made cleaning solution. This cleaning descales the rest of the machine.

After you have sorted out cleaning (and do it every month after that), look into using the single floor basket. Maybe upgrade your grinder as you mentioned too.