Thread: EM7000 - Espresso Pump normal operation

EM7000 - Espresso Pump normal operation

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Would like some feedback next time you are at your machines please.

I am well aware that the Steam Pump will "pulse" during the Steaming operation....but how about the Espresso Pump ?

I'm pretty sure that when I first got the Machine, the pump was just a constant humming without the "pulse" effect of the Steam Wand. Now it seems to "pulse" in order to maintain the required pressure. During this time, you can actually see changes in the Gauge.

Can others please indicate if their Espresso pump "pulses"...or just remains constant.

Yes, it has been Cleaned...and no, I'm not referring to the initial infusion. I'm talking about the total 25-30sec duration of the pour.

(As a side note...while reading other threads, pretty pissed today to discover the temperature gauge is not a temperature gauge)

Uhhhh I imagine it should be fairly constant. What's the timing of the pulses, is it the same as the hot water tap?

No...it is almost as if it can't maintain the pressure so hits it with another burst. Even the gauge drops below the orange and then picks up again.

Well the good news is that the pump is covered by a 5 year warranty, you might need to take them up on it!

I don't understand the inner workings of these pumps but they seem to operate 100% the entire time. i.e. they don't sense the load and compensate by increasing the pressure. Are the pulses audible? if you run it without the portafilter on does it still pulse?

I don't have a 7000 but my 6910 used to do that when I dosed at the recommended level but had ground finer than I was doing originally. I was chasing a better cup and with different beans had stepped it down a notch - I got nice coffee out but there was definite surging on the gauge and in the sound.

Not sure why it happened but dosing a fraction lower in the basket stopped it and it's never come back.

Quote Originally Posted by burr View Post
    Well the good news is that the pump is covered by a 5 year warranty, you might need to take them up on it!
    Actually, I think that is one of the shortcomings of the EM7000. The EM6900/6910 had a 5Year Pump Warranty, but there does not appear to be any such Warranty for the EM7000. Have even checked on the Website.

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    I don't have a 7000 but my 6910 used to do that when I dosed at the recommended level but had ground finer than I was doing originally. I was chasing a better cup and with different beans had stepped it down a notch - I got nice coffee out but there was definite surging on the gauge and in the sound.
    Not sure why it happened but dosing a fraction lower in the basket stopped it and it's never come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by burr
    If you run it without the portafilter on does it still pulse?
    Good call guys.

* Ran it without the portafilter and no pulsing...confirming a "pressure related" issue.
    * Cut back on the Grind (slightly coarser) and no pulsing....again confirming a "pressure related" issue

So looks like I have inadvertently started grinding too fine, tamping too hard, dosing too much...any or all of these.

Once again, thanks for the extra eyes.