Thread: Just Bought Solis SL90!!

Just Bought Solis SL90!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    yay!! i just bought my first espresso machine and i am high as a kite... but trying to stay sane......

i just bought a solis sl90 with unpressurised PF and a tamper for $120 new zealand :o

i dont yet have a grinder but i couldnt pass up that offer aye.

so any suggestions on a grinder or things to watch for with this machine....anything really... would be SOOOO appreciated.

thanks

Joel

TC

Re: Just Bought Solis SL90!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Lawry link=1175668286/0#0 date=1175668286
    yay!! i just bought my first espresso machine and i am high as a kite... but trying to stay sane......

i just bought a solis sl90 with unpressurised PF and a tamper for $120 new zealand *:o

i dont yet have a grinder but i couldnt pass up that offer aye.

so any suggestions on a grinder or things to watch for with this machine....anything really... would be SOOOO appreciated.

thanks

Joel
    Well purchased Joel and a great start. The minimum recommended grinder for true espresso is the Iberital Challenge. Next up, the Rancilio Rocky. Both of these will cost you more than your machine, but without good grind, youre wasting your time. Spend up on a quality grinder and it will see you through many machines...

Enjoy your journey....

2mcm

$120 is a steal.

i pair my sl90 with the matching solis 166 grinder, also sold as a delonghi and a starbucks barista.
    i get the grind on the second finest setting, but it doesnt really have the stepping adjustments it needs

Im sorry not to have replied - was away over easter then the machine arrived and everythings gone from there...

Good News - i found in the cupboard an old attatchment for our Kenwood mixer that grinds coffee and pulled it apart to find it has horizontal burrs (round 60 mm i guess) that are adjusted by a screw that literally IS the adjustment knob which pushes one movable burr closer to the other, originally though it wasnt quite fine enough a grind SO in a moment of rare genius i tried putting thick gaffers tape in the adjustment screw chamber under the ball bearing to get a tighter fit, three quarters of an hour and 500 odd grams of old overroasted coffee later i had an espresso grinder!!!

I will post pictures as soon as i get back (i am leaving to work in a rural village school in vanuatu tommorrow) of the grinder, burrs and the "tweaking" i did.