Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sparkys

Thread: cant fit Rancilio basket in Sunbeam Cafe em6900 ..is it possible? HELP

Unhappy cant fit Rancilio basket in Sunbeam Cafe em6900 ..is it possible? HELP

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Iam trying to put a 58mm Rancilio basket (9g basket) into my Sunbeam Cafe em6900 ..is it possible?
    sits in quite neatly but wont click in place over the clip like the Sunbeam baskets.
    Is this possible?
    Is there a trick to it ... hesitant to force it.

thanks, any help appreciated
    (trying to use this basket, because the Sunbeam single basket is like a 3 shot Gram size)

You could simply use the double SB basket and only dose the amount you want. If it isn't clicking in, I'm guessing the top of the Rancilio basket isn't wide enough. If it sits all the way in you could use it but you'd want to check it still goes into the grouphaed properly - coffee spraying all around is painful. And when you tap the grinds out the basket will flick out as well.

I've got at least one each spare SB single and double single-wall baskets and if you want double-wall ones I think I have 2 each of them.

Thanks Journeyman - will only filling the basket is half full effect the coffee?, does it have to fill the basket to get the correct pressure etc (sorry little green newbie I am )
    It fits OK (both58mm) but just doesnt click in and yes your right - basket falls out when tapping the grinds out

There's a youtube showing a guy using a glass PF and you can see what happens in the basket. His is about half full with maybe a cm between the top of the grinds and the showerscreen - works fine. The showerscreen doesn't (or isn't meant to) hold the grinds down - pressure does that. When the pump starts there's 9 bar of pressure hits the top of the puck - the grinds aren't going anywhere.

Another example - my local coffee shop makes 18g wighed coffee in VST 22gm baskets - again the grinds are maybe a cm down in the basket - and he makes the best coffee I can recall having.

thanks Journeyman that makes alot of sense - ! The SB single shot basket i have is 21g! and the double is 28g rather than 7-9g for a single and it uses 3 times the coffee... thanks again for your help and Knowledge
    rawill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    There's a youtube showing a guy using a glass PF and you can see what happens in the basket. His is about half full with maybe a cm between the top of the grinds and the showerscreen - works fine. The showerscreen doesn't (or isn't meant to) hold the grinds down - pressure does that. When the pump starts there's 9 bar of pressure hits the top of the puck - the grinds aren't going anywhere.

Another example - my local coffee shop makes 18g wighed coffee in VST 22gm baskets - again the grinds are maybe a cm down in the basket - and he makes the best coffee I can recall having.
    Do you have a link ?.. I would like to see that Youtube
    Curious if they used a transparent filter basket as well as PF.

Unless you know the group /filterscreen geometry, you cannot conclude much from the level of the puck in the basket.
    Tamped correctly, mine sits 7-8mm below the top of the basket, but it still touches the sscreen if i try to put any more in !

Rbn
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkys View Post
    Iam trying to put a 58mm Rancilio basket (9g basket) into my Sunbeam Cafe em6900 ..is it possible?
    sits in quite neatly but wont click in place over the clip like the Sunbeam baskets.
    Is this possible?
    Is there a trick to it ... hesitant to force it.

thanks, any help appreciated
    (trying to use this basket, because the Sunbeam single basket is like a 3 shot Gram size)
    Sounds like you are a candidate for a 7gm VST basket,
    or the smallest ridgeless VST basket.

I have been converted, about to order the smallest VST basket to doubles, I think it is about 15gms.

A little bit of a learning curve to use the 7gm, but worth it in my view.