Thread: Sunbeam EM6910

Sunbeam EM6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    G'day connoisseurs!

Its my first post - please be nice

I have been reading the cs forums for a long while since introduction by a friend. I owned a Breville Cafe Roma and a hand grinder - results since using the hand grinder over preground coffee were much better but I decided to ditch the Cafe Roma

I have purchased a second hand EM 6910 machine and brand new EM480 grinder - Loving the combo as I am finally enjoying good coffee!!

I descaled the machine and then backflushed with the tablet using the manual as guidance. The problem I have run into is that after the first couple of clicks, the Manual button stopped working. It worked again today for a single time and then crapped itself again but the light is on - I assume it is a button issue. Also the Red Power light sometimes turns dim (not full brightness).

Has anyone else run into these issues? I have searched google and cs but was unable to get an answer, hence this post.

Currently I am enjoying Elephant Peaberry from Beanbay

Do your program buttons still work for singles and doubles?

Try doing a reset to Factory defaults as per the manual.

Other than that. I'd guess at the circuit board or the actual button panel has gunk in it.

All other buttons including the Program work fine. Unfortunately the factory reset requires you use the Manual button.

I recon its gunk in the button but I understand in order to clean the buttons, the machine needs to be opened up.

2. Press and hold down the ‘MANUAL’ button.
    While still holding down the manual button
    briefly press the ‘POWER’ button and then
    release the ‘MANUAL’ button.

Quote Originally Posted by punjabiz View Post
    All other buttons including the Program work fine. Unfortunately the factory reset requires you use the Manual button.

I recon its gunk in the button but I understand in order to clean the buttons, the machine needs to be opened up.

2. Press and hold down the ‘MANUAL’ button.
    While still holding down the manual button
    briefly press the ‘POWER’ button and then
    release the ‘MANUAL’ button.
    This is still worth a try. If the factory reset works then you know the "manual" button is operational. It would then be the control PCB at fault. The "manual" button is being pressed but the PCB is not activating the required brewing functions.
    If the reset doesn't work then you know that most likely the button itself is faulty.
    If you do need to open the machine up it isn't very hard, plenty of how-to's around.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    This is still worth a try. If the factory reset works then you know the "manual" button is operational. It would then be the control PCB at fault. The "manual" button is being pressed but the PCB is not activating the required brewing functions.
    If the reset doesn't work then you know that most likely the button itself is faulty.
    If you do need to open the machine up it isn't very hard, plenty of how-to's around.
    I powered off the machine from the power outlet, this is usually the only way to make the manual button work. Left it off for a few hours, managed to do a factory reset. Manual button still remains an issue as it works twice in total, to turn on the pour and to turn off the pour and then never again until the machine is power cycled. I'm puzzled! So i'm using the double shot button now to start the pour and again when I want it to finish.

Meanwhile I know the double basket grind coarseness is a known issue, where size 6 on the EM480 works just perfectly for the single shot basket but double basket it spits out too quickly even on the finest setting. I called Sunbeam this morning and they're posting shims to make the grind finer.