Thread: Nespresso v Breville 870

Nespresso v Breville 870

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys I am looking at spending either $500 on a good Nespresso machine or $649 on a Breville BES870 and am unsure what I should go with. I literally have no skills in making coffee but can learn quite quickly. What would you guys recommend? If I go the Breville what beans would be a good starting point? Is it relatively easy to use? At this point in time I am only doing cappucinos. Thanks for any help.

Site Sponsor
    Hi Joshaldo,

If you can get down to Clontarf go and visit Neli Coffee. They have the Lelit combi which is more than the breville but you'll get great advice and assistance from coffee professionals which will translate to better coffee. And better coffee is what it's all about

charlie

Nespresso is not a high standard to beat.

But you will have to make adjustments to get the best performance from any machine

If you pay attention to detail you will consistently get coffee better than a Nespresso (I own one).

If you just want something better than instant that you can make in your sleep and don't really care about the cost the Nespresso should be fine.

Ok so looks like I will get the Breville. Is it easy to use?

The Breville machine is definitely easy to use. Buttons to press for making the coffee (they're also programmable, easily). Grinder can either be used to deliver preset doses (easily adjusted on the front of the machine) or manually via the button behind where the portafilter sits.
    It heats up fast, recovers pretty quickly (PID controlled) and you can make pretty good milk with it too. Biggest downfall is that the steamer does take a while to get going and it isn't as powerful as some bigger machines. It's restricted by its single thermoblock design.

The only thing you need to be careful of is making sure you keep the water tank filled up. For some reason that I can't fathom, Breville puts the water tank at the back with no forward facing water level gauge and then doesn't build in any low water cutoff system. That means you can run the machine dry if you're not careful, not good for pumps or thermoblocks. Breville machines seem to dump a massive amount of drain water compared to other brands as well so it'll run out fairly quickly.

It's a huge improvement over the old BES860 though which is rubbish in pretty much every way.

It also looks great, I'd enjoy having one in my house I think, it's pleasant to look at.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up grabbing the Breville today and surprisingly have made two good cups of coffee already :-). I stupidly ran the water dry once already, hopefully have not caused any damage though. One thing I am wondering though is if the one shot is enough for a cappuccino? It just does not seem to produce much coffee and I end up using two of the one shots when making one. Any tips on what I should be doing?

I believe the shots are programmed via time, not volume, on these machines so sometimes you won't get enough coffee out of it.
    It will state in the user manual how to change shot volumes, but this is how anyway:

1. Press the program button once (it should beep and start to flash)
    2. Press the single or double shot button once (depending on which one you are programming)
    3. Press the button again when the desired volume has been output (machine will beep twice and program button will stop flashing)

It's now programmed that time. The problem with programming is that when you vary your grind or tamp pressure of bean selection, the shot volume will change. To get around this you can just press and hold the shot button until preinfusion has completed. Let go of the button and the machine should continue to run at full pressure. Press the shot button again to make it stop.

Have a read of the user manual, it's fairly comprehensive. You will also need to backflush and run cleaning cycles on the machine to keep it in top shape.

Thanks mate have it set to produce more now for the single shot. Have also found the steaming wand light will turn off well before the 5 minutes, is this also normal?

I'd say not. How soon before 5 minutes? I found that I could steam 500ml in about 1:40 on the old BES860. Single serve of about 250ml should take around 1 minute. Is it switching off this soon?
    The steam light should flash when it's automatically disabled the steaming, does it flash or just turn off?

Ok I did one cup and it was fine which probably took just over a minute. I then did another cup and towards the end, close to a minute the light started to flash and the light went out but the steaming continued to steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshaldo View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I ended up grabbing the Breville today and surprisingly have made two good cups of coffee already :-). I stupidly ran the water dry once already, hopefully have not caused any damage though. One thing I am wondering though is if the one shot is enough for a cappuccino? It just does not seem to produce much coffee and I end up using two of the one shots when making one. Any tips on what I should be doing?
    Hey mate, I was also looking at getting a Breville and noticed that they currently have a promo. So in case you weren't made aware of it...make sure you claim the free coffee course/voucher from Breville
    Promotions | Breville

Thanks mate!! Had no idea they were doing that. Now should I go for the course or beans? Am loving the machine it is so easy to use

If you want to learn, go the course I would say.

Cheers