Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bowds1122

Thread: Pimped Silvia (PID + Timer + Water)

Pimped Silvia (PID + Timer + Water)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Thought I'd share a project I've been wanting to work on for a while.

I've had my Silvia for about a year, and PID'd externally for most of it.

I've finally got around to:
    - Adding boiler insulation
    - Mounting the PID internally
    - Adding a shot timer
    - Adding a water light controlled via a float switch

The PID is obviously easy to do, however it is only a single setpoint so I don't have steam control. I tried, but failed to set that up. I'll have to upgrade my PID I think.

There is a reset button for the timer next to the brew switch as I couldn't work out how to wire it up correctly to have it reset automatically. The LED timer remembers where it was at, which in this case is a bit of a pain. So I flick the brew switch, the timer starts, and hit the reset button straight away. Hooked up via a 240 to 12v transformer.

The green LED is run through a float switch in the tank. It goes out when there isn't much water left in the tank. I think I might reverse this, as the light is pretty bright. It's also hooked up via a 240 to 12v transformer.

Thanks for looking!
    smokey likes this.

Very cool and looking nice and pimped!

Do you have any further info on how you mounted the float switch?

Cheers

The float switch is mounted through the base if the tank. It's a pretty small shaft so the light turns off when there is less than 2 inches of water left in the tank.

So it's now a permanent fixture because there's a hole in the bottom of the tank!

Also made it so the wires can be detached for removal/cleaning.

Really professional job...Well done

Bowds, thanks for the post, all though its been a while I are just about to take the plunge myself with the same controller.

just a couple of observations/questions,

for your shot timer I think you would need to use a on-delay timer and then run the pump off the B contact from the common. this way switching the brew switch on would power the timers coil immediately energising the pump via the b contact in the rest position until the set time elapsed therefore activating the contact and breaking the B contact. turning the switch back off would therefore reset the timer.

Is the lower LED readout the timer value or a digital pressure/temp readout?

I intend to make my implementation 100% reversible so I will be mounting the controller in some ally rectangular hollow section in the popular position under the steam valve and may later on use a weightometer (spring and limit switch ) under the tank or a reed switch to detect water low. just haven't figured out where to mount indicator for that.

anyway you posted a couple of times about your PID settings and i was just wondering if you had experimented further with them.

cheers.
    Last edited by koshari; 8th September 2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typos