Thread: Breville BES870 issues

Breville BES870 issues

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys have had my 870 for a week now and have been really happy with it but all of a sudden my shots have become really inconsistent. I will pour a shot and it will be perfect in the middle of the gauge, then I will try again in half an hour or so and it will be under extracted. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or if the machine is faulty? I have also noticed now there is left over ground in the cup after drinking. Any help is appreciated.

First point of call,
    Give it a good clean and a back flush before anything else.
    Then look at your coffee beans, are you grinding fresh each time?

Thanks for the reply :-). I have put it through a cleaning cycle and the machine has a grinder on top of it and I am using good beans.

Thats alright mate
    Does it only happen 1/2 hr after the first shot?
    How is the timing on the under extracted shot?
    Is it coming out fast and watery or really slow?
    If it's really slow then I'd suggest it's not going to full pressure and I'd get it checked out, but seeing that it getting one good one bad I'd suggest it's more operational than technical...

It sounds like you are not tamping hard enough or it's too course, or you're under dosing, so there's 3 variables to isolate.

Also you don't say if you are using the single or double basket. I suspect you're using the single basket, if so forget about it until you can master the double it's much easier to use. The single basket is very finicky to get right, the double is much more forgiving. Let us know how you get on.

Ok I ended up getting some new beand and am consistently getting a good shot now with the double basket... I am still getting some ground left over in my cup though..Is it normal to have some left over? Is there a way to reduce it?

A trick i've learnt not to waste ground coffee with the 860/870 is to lightly flick the porta filter whilst its still in the holder. This simulates you lightly tapping the portafilter on the table and it settles the grind a little more so that when you remove the portafilter, it all stays on rather than falling onto the mesh.

And would you believe i can pull a decent shot with a single basket but cannot for the life of me pull a good shot with the double basket? I had a laugh.

That's an awesome tip :-) thanks... I can pull a better shot with the double basket, just seems to be a bit more forgiving... Do you have any ground left in your cup?? I spoke to breville and they seem to think or is normal