Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By vandozza
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By vandozza

Thread: Lelit PL41TEMD v NS Oscar v Other?

Lelit PL41TEMD v NS Oscar v Other?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I'm about to spend $1500 on a machine/grinder combo.
    Before I spend this money I thought I'd bounce my options around here a little.

Grinder
    - Compak K3T ($439)

Machines
    - Rancilio Sylvia ($749)
    - Lelit PL41LEM ($769)
    - Lelit PL41TEMD ($989)
    - Nuova Siminelli Oscar ($1249)
    - Breville BES920 (w BCG920 grinder, dropping the Compak - $1449)

This is machine would be used to make two coffees, three times per day (nearly always milk coffees).
    I would occasionally make 4-6 coffees at a time (monthly?)

I'm leaning towards the PL41TEMD, but wonder if the HX NSO might be the better machine?

To complicate matters a local coffee machine shop has closed their doors and have one display, but never used, NSO for sale. Thus could be had for around $850 (possibly with dubious warranty status?)

Are there any other machines that I am overlooking?

Thanks for any assistance!

Sorry to be off-topic, but where can you get a compak k3t for that much? I'm looking for one...

Lelit is a single boiler, NSO is a HX. If I had a choice either or I'd personally go NSO for the HX.

Quote Originally Posted by pat_00 View Post
    Sorry to be off-topic, but where can you get a compak k3t for that much? I'm looking for one...
    oops! as you might have guessed, that's a typo. Should have been the K3P model.

Quote Originally Posted by saoye View Post
    Lelit is a single boiler, NSO is a HX. If I had a choice either or I'd personally go NSO for the HX.
    I guess I was wondering if I'm buying a heavier duty machine in the Lelit, given that I probably don't make enough coffee in one sitting to really see the benefit of the HX machine.

The possibility of getting the NSO for around $850 though does alter the thinking a bit.

My guess is you would upgrade well before anything breaks.

Not that anything would break. Both machines are excellent beginner machines...just a bit more mucking around with priming single boilers if you like to texture milk.

Ive got an Oscar. Its great in that it is easy to work on and there's opportunity to mod if your that way inclined. Steam is fantastic. I would say rather than it being a beginner machine, it is a machine that you can grow with and as you do, your pours will get better and better.
    I would go the $825 Oscar and get a better grinder. I have found coffee is like photography. Its not the camera body that gives you the great shot, but the lens you are using. With coffee, its not the machine, but the grinder that really makes the difference in your shot.

I guess the term "beginner" in this context depends on what benchmark you are comparing it with. In this forum most would bypass all the pressurised portafilters and start from single boilers and the NSO. The sunbeam em0480 and breville smart grinder are also the bear minimum electric grinders when it comes to grinding for espresso.

I wanted to avoid the Sunbeams due to their poor reliability. Family member has had two of them - both with issues within 2 years.

Thanks for all the opinions so far!

On the grinder topic, does anyone have an opinion on the Macap M2M? One of the site sponsors had offered the NSO + Macap M2M at a very reasonable price.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    M2M is a great little grinder. On a par with my K3T according to my tastebuds. It is a stepped grinder, unlike the K3s.

I will second the M2M, sold my K3 after getting it. Really really delivers for such a ( solid ) small package.

I have come to like the reliability of the stepped adjustment, tweak the dose by 0.5 to 0.75g to really nail down a shot.

The hopper really needs to be at least 1/4 to 1/3 full to get a consistent grind. Ie: reproducible shots from same weight of grounds.

I've seen Wega Mini Instants (ie black k3t) for $425.

I'd be jumping on that NS Oscar in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hildy View Post

I'd be jumping on that NS Oscar in a heartbeat.
    What's the etiquette on posting a sponsors offer here?
    ie do they want the publicity or would they prefer offers kept private?

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hildy View Post
    NB the Mini-instant ships with the old style regular hopper, not the smaller gourmet hopper of the current K3P/T. The upgrade (which most would want) is overpriced at the best part of $100.

Quote Originally Posted by vandozza View Post
    What's the etiquette on posting a sponsors offer here?
    ie do they want the publicity or would they prefer offers kept private?
    I think if the sponsor wants an offer posted, they will do it themselves. At the very least, I'd be asking permission of the sponsor concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    I think if the sponsor wants an offer posted, they will do it themselves. At the very least, I'd be asking permission of the sponsor concerned.
    Agreed, which is why I ask!
    I actually sent an email to the site sponsor 5 mins ago to check their wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    NB the Mini-instant ships with the old style regular hopper, not the smaller gourmet hopper of the current K3P/T. The upgrade (which most would want) is overpriced at the best part of $100.
    That is true.

They're also wired differently to australian spec K3Ts - or rather, you can't use them like a K3P. I took mine apart today; it is a microprocessor controlling a triac. The motor's only what, 0.4A. The capacitor is ducati-branded.

I have no idea if it's possible to easily slow them down.

Just to update this thread.
    Ive gone with the NSO + Macap M2M combo.

Ordered from Antony at Casa Espresso who put together an excellent package.
    Also decided to have the anti-vac installed prior to shipping.

Will update again after it all arrives!
    Casa Espresso likes this.

TC
    Good one vandozza. Why NS don't install an anti-vac prior to export, I don't understand. Might cost all of 5 euro
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Talking

My NSO and Macap M2M combo arrived yesterday.
    Was very happy to finally receive it.

The silver NSO probably looks better than I thought it would.

Had a slight issue with delivery, in that the NSO portafilter and baskets did not make the trip down.
    A quick call to Antony @ CE and it's all sorted. I guess they were taken out when the anti-vac install was completed and didn't make it back into the box.

A little shattered I couldn't give the new toy a workout last night, but hopefully today or tomorrow.

Played around with the Macap M2M, and I've gotta say it seems a solid, well-built piece of kit!

It's a stepped grinder, but looks to have plenty of steps to adjust the grind.
    The grinder alone is almost as heavy as the NSO.

I'll report back once I've been able to try the NSO out.

edit - does anyone know if the NSO portaflter happily takes a 20g VST basket? and if so, ridged or ridgeless?
    Dimal likes this.