Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jbrewster

Thread: La Fenice

TC

La Fenice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight

Nice concept however; with no frothing ability the potential market, especially in the US, will be very limited.

Java "Got milk?!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...coffee-machine

Looks like for $500 you can have "perfect" espresso, filter, and capsule coffee maker, together with a frother, and a grinder. !!!

Is that narrator putting on a silly accent or does he genuinely talk like that? Sounds like one of the inventors trying to sound like a British country bumpkin.

All that aside, I'm very interested in the potential of induction heating for temperature stability... For $250 it might be worth a back.

So, pretty much a thermoblock machine but using an induction element instead of a resistance element? Good way to increase costs

Interesting concept though. I wonder when someone will try a microwave magnetron...

"...most advanced PCB ever seen in a coffee machine..."

*cough*bullshit*cough* pretty sure your average Gicar PID controller is more advanced than that... (unless they're claiming it's more advanced because it has a half-bridge driver for the heater...)

"...electromagnetic water softener..."

*cough*bullshit*cough* heating the water will have the same effect regardless of how it's heated. Calcium salts are not magnetic (well, not appreciably so, they will perhaps exhibit some degree of diamagnetism) either (refer to many threads around here mentioning "magnetic filters").

"...directly measures the temperature of the water itself thanks to an advanced NTC..."

Last I checked NTC thermistors were significantly less accurate than, say a Type-T thermocouple, granted most designs probably use a Type-K (or a Pstat of course) which has worse accuracy figures than an NTC thermistor, but the inaccuracy is pretty much 100% consistent (assuming you're using proper cold-junction compensation, and there's off the shelf parts for that.) so it doesn't actually matter. (i.e. if it reads 96.5 at 94 it will ALWAYS read 96.5 at 94 as opposed to an NTC which will drift over time.) Now if they were using a good quality Pt100 or similar...

Sorry, I seem to have something caught in my throat.

All in all, novel concept, a lot of hype and buzzword-y BS.

Oh and on the magnetron suggestion, they're horribly inefficient, likely much worse than this design, quite possibly much worse than a "traditional" boiler.

And unless they're flash heating small quantities of water (a'la thermoblocks) there's no way this could be 80% more power efficient than a "traditional" boiler machine, the specific heat of water is a physical fact and not-negotiable, I'd expect this to be perhaps slightly better on power consumption than a well-managed thermoblock (assuming their induction heater is well designed).
    MrJack likes this.

Well this is interesting and it is made in Italy.

They claim to get "perfect" coffee by getting the right temperature, pressure and flow and save energy while heating with electromagnetic induction heating as used with the fancy ceramic surfaced stove cook tops.

To get "perfect" coffee the operator must have perfectly roasted beans as well as perfect grinding dosing and tamping.

It is obvious that this heater takes much less space and none of the heat up time of a boiler. To have steam they could possibly add a second larger induction heater.

Will it take on? Only time will tell.

Barry

Unless they have some group head heaters that they didnt mention, i cannot see how they can control the temperature of the brew water at the puck.
    And... why didnt they simply fit another one of their magic heaters ..( cough ..."thermoblock" ..cough !).. for a steam wand ? ..
    ....or do they not understand the market ?