Thread: Ponte Vecchio Export (spring lever machine) review.

Ponte Vecchio Export (spring lever machine) review.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    this is my first post. A few years ago I had a Gaggia Classic - pretty good actually. Then the pump gave up and rather than get it fixed
    I got a Presso and used that for a couple of years. That was pretty good as well, but I did miss the steamed milk with the coffee (I normally drink cappucinos). Not wanting to get a pump machine again, I finally settled on the Ponte Vecchio Export. I didnt go for the Lusso as I only make coffe for myself and its usually only one in the morning before going to work.
    So I ordered it online from the supplier that I could I could see subtracted teh VAT as it wasnt applicable , and they also promised to attach an Australian plug. All this came to just under 1000 AUD. About 3 weeks later the machine arrived. The company was very good with sending emails to let me know its status, and also giving me the tracking number for the shipment. So I can recommend that company.
    It came with the Australian plug. It was also full of water - I presume as they had to check it before sending it out. This was about 2 months ago. It has actually taken about 6 weeks to really work out how to use this machine properly. It took about a week to get the right grind for the coffee - I eventaully decided that it needed to be fine enough so that the lever took about 15 seconds or so to come back up. So now I press the lever down for about 5 seconds, wait for it to come backup anbd then pull down again for another 5 seconds or so. As I like to have the coffe up to about 40 percent of a 6 oz cappucino glass, it takes me about 4 pulls to do this. At this stage now I have a great crema on the coffee (currently using espresso beans though will be switching to maragogype soon).
    Then its time to steam the milk. Its taken me about a month to learn how to do this properly. The Gaggia was very easy - just basically stick the wand in and the milk would froth up properly. With the Ponte Vecchio, I have found I have to slowly bring up the steam pressure, while moving the milk jug up and down underneath it (and even sometimes holding the wand just above the surface to get a couple of bubbles). I have also found that this only works with a small jug - a 0.3litre jug filled just under halfway (with a bigger jug I cannot get any froth going - and the milk tastes a bit burnt). At this point if everything is right then the milk starts to froth up the jug and almost fill it. I also hold my hand on the jug to make sure it doesn't get too hot. This doesn't take long - just a few seconds. Then I bang the jug on the counter a few times to make sure there are no big bubbles , so it should be all tiny bubbles now.
    The last bit is to get a spoon and use it to hold the froth back while pouring the hot milk in another third of the cup (leaving about a centimeter from the top). Then finally I spoon off the froth into the last third, so that there is a layer of froth about a centimeter so so of the cup. This seems to give the right balance between the milk and the coffee . Then with that its absolutely magic - the best cup of coffee I have ever had - the espresso beans give it a bit of kick but it has a real silky smoothness that I've very rarely tasted before.

I have posted this in case anybody else is interested. I know when I was doing some Googling on this machine there wasnt really anything that explained how people were getting the best out of their machines....a lot of it was things like Fellini moves etc - which I never really understood the point of or why people bothered with it ...

Thanks for your patience...

ashley

Thats great to hear about the Export, you are right there isnt much available online and if you try and source it locally you have no chance.....I've also recently put in my order (a week ago) and just waiting for it to leave italy.

I know i will get flamed for not getting it locally and through a sponsor, but considering i dont want the bigger Lusso, nor do i want the la pavoni levers (because they seem to overheat) and couldnt spend over 3k getting one of the nicer commercial levers, i had to look internationally.

What did you end up setting the grind to and what sort of grinder have you paired the export with?

I thought the overheating issues were more user caused with La Pavoni machines?

yeah not 100% sure, but i think its more the smaller lever machines and boilers. So maybe even the export is susceptible as well....

Quote Originally Posted by 3rutu5 View Post
    yeah not 100% sure, but i think its more the smaller lever machines and boilers. So maybe even the export is susceptible as well....
    I am going to need to do more checking then.....

Are you thinking of getting a small lever machine?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rutu5 View Post
    Are you thinking of getting a small lever machine?

Yes, I am. Been looking for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBeanGenii View Post
    I've been looking for a year and almost purchased a LA pavoni and then started looking at similar ones like the elektra etc, but ended up taking the gamble on the PV Export. There was another one which had a bigger boiler and looked like a scaled up in size LPav, but also hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBeanGenii View Post
    Depends on where you are based I found a lq pavoni on display in Brisbane, nice looking rig, I wish I found it sooner as I spoke to a guy at the shop who put it through its paces and didn't notice any overheating that has been discussed on this forum. I guess it comes down to how much you use it and if you're comparing it against a 3-5k commercial machine.....