Thread: EM6910 Shuts Down

EM6910 Shuts Down

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My 7 year old EM6910 is still producing excellent shots (must have been made on a Wednesday ) as is probably why I have not yet moved up to an Italian number just yet.

Anyhow, old faithful is showing a sign or 2 of her age and use (est 4000-5000 shots) but I don't think her days are number just yet.

I usually make 2 flat whites at a time, I pull 1 shot and whilst that's happening I texture with jug (containing enough milk for 2 FW's) hanging off the machine at a 45 deg angle whilst I pull the next. By the time the second shot is brewed and a few seconds more the milk is fully stretched and I ready to get on with my day.

Lately though, as the 2nd shot is pulled and the milk just about fully stretched the machine shuts down. To remedy, I simply turn the machine on again wait for the lights and away I go finishing off the stretch.

On face value the problem appears to be overheating / overloading and could be thermostat related. Anyone have / had a similar issue?

If I'm going to open the back and fiddle I might also replace the pump as I've always felt it to be leaning on the lazy side.

Intermittent EM6910 Issue

Hi Guys, long time lurker first time poster.

I have a Sunbeam EM6910 where power intermittently gets cut off.

I have kept the machine in good condition with regular backflushing and cleaning.

The machine powers on fine and goes into ready mode normally but when I start a pour, the machine will completely power off. The timing ranges from 5s after starting to 25s before it switches off. It will even sometimes work normally.

The machine doesn't switch off if I'm using the steam wand.

The first time it happened, I thought it had tripped the ECB as I was using the toaster and microwave at the same time (all on the same power board). However after further investigation it was in fact the machine.

I have looked all over this forum and another one and haven't found any similar situations.

Hoping that someone has come across this before or knows the solution and which parts to get.

Thanks!

The machine powers on fine and goes into ready mode normally but when I start a pour, the machine will completely power off.
    Just a couple of questions -
    Is the power LED flashing red or green when it powers off?
    Can you restart the machine by pressing the power button or do you have to do a full power down at the power point then press the Power button to get it to work again?

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Benlister View Post
    Hi Guys, long time lurker first time poster.

I have a Sunbeam EM6910 where power intermittently gets cut off.

I have kept the machine in good condition with regular backflushing and cleaning.

The machine powers on fine and goes into ready mode normally but when I start a pour, the machine will completely power off. The timing ranges from 5s after starting to 25s before it switches off. It will even sometimes work normally.

The machine doesn't switch off if I'm using the steam wand.

The first time it happened, I thought it had tripped the ECB as I was using the toaster and microwave at the same time (all on the same power board). However after further investigation it was in fact the machine.

I have looked all over this forum and another one and haven't found any similar situations.

Hoping that someone has come across this before or knows the solution and which parts to get.

Thanks!
    G'day Benlister / lurker

I would start by making sure you do not have an air block (50% chance, easy to sort). Just run a little hot through the hot water tap before you go onto the shot and see what it does. A friends 6910 is prone to them for some unfathomable (to me, anyway) reason.

Next alternative - check the pump and thermoblock for shorts. Do NOT do this unless you know how to work with live gear as 90% of those only show up under power!

TampIt

Hi Trev,

Thanks for the reply.

When the machine switches off, it does not show any lights at all. As if all power to the unit has been disconnected.

I can restart the machine simply by pressing the power button.

Now the machine switches off using the steam wand as well.

Cheers,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthine View Post
    Just a couple of questions -
    Is the power LED flashing red or green when it powers off?
    Can you restart the machine by pressing the power button or do you have to do a full power down at the power point then press the Power button to get it to work again?

Trev

Ben
    There's quite a list of faults which could be causing your machine to shut down.
    In addition to those mentioned by Tamplt above would be -
    Faulty thermistors on either of the thermoblocks (even including deterioration of the thermal grease under them or loose connections to the control board).
    Dirty contacts on the heater control relays.
    Faulty thermal cutouts.
    Damaged control board often due to water leaking on to it.
    Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer though!
    Trev

Thanks Trev,

My machine is less than 2 years old so I'm torn between getting Sunbeam to have a look at it (and hopefully convincing them that it should be covered under warranty) or having a poke around myself - without it being connected to power of course.

I live in Cairns so I'll have to send it away for Sunbeam to have a look at it.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Ben

Ben
    I think it's a good idea to have Sunbeam look at it as it is still reasonably new. Once you open it yourself you will blow any chance of warranty repairs, it's just unfortunate that you don't seem to have somewhere locally to take it.
    It's a pity these machines don't seem to have any self- diagnosis with error codes which would make fault finding easier. So far I've found that both an open-circuit and short circuit thermistor causes a flashing red power LED on warmup but haven't had the time yet to to simulate other faults to make a list - it's on the 'to do' list!
    When you do get it fixed it would be good if you could post the fault as it may help others with a similar problem.
    Regards
    Trev