Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Wrathlon
  • 1 Post By Wrathlon
  • 1 Post By 2Beans

Thread: My First Coffee Machine + Grinder - Buy Of The Year :D

My First Coffee Machine + Grinder - Buy Of The Year :D

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So I've always drank a lot of coffee but resigned myself to not being able to for out the price for an actually good machine...until a week ago.

Went in to Cash Converters looking for a rattle gun for my car, saw this coffee machine sitting there and noted it said "Sunbeam Cafe Series". I don't know much about coffee at all and have never used one before but a girl I dated was a barista and so I picked up a few things and this stuck out - that and it looked expensive.

So I looked up the model number, EM6910, found this forum, realised it's a genuinely good machine. I asked the guy if it came with all the accessories, which it did (Half of which were still sealed in plastic) and the cleaning wheel is still taped to the inside back door. So I then asked what was wrong with it - he tells me nothing that he's aware of and asks why. I showed him the David Jones listing for a new one listing it at $799 (I realise its a bit cheaper at other places) and say "Well it looks like its new still, and it's a very expensive machine compared to the price you guys are selling it for". The price on the sticker was $115, hell there was a pod machine there for more than that, so naturally I assumed a huge flaw.

He says he'll speak to his manager and I overhear "Shit, well, if that's what it says on the sticker we really don't have a choice, we just have to sell it to him for that". So I bought it and on the way home think "wait a minute, why would the previous owners have accepted the $50 or whatever they would have got?".

Turn it on and I immediately see why - I get 4 loud beeps, an angry blinking red light, but everything seems to work. A quick google tells me the float is the problem, check and sure enough it's doing less floating and more sinking. Stick a 5c piece under it to test and the error goes away, light stays off. $10 and a new float later, the machine is perfect. I'd be surprised if it was used even a handful of times before now.

I also only have a cheapy crap blade grinder, which has sufficed, but I really wanted the EM0480 - chucked an $80 max bid on a well looked after one on ebay with all the accessories that had 4 bids, 1.5 hours to go and was at $60 expecting to lose...

...except I won.

$205 later I have an as new EM6910 and a perfect condition EM0480.

I also purchased the Hot Chocolate Syrup Flavour Pack from Alchemy Cordials seeing as I drink Mocha, will be ordering the Coffee Syrups too in a week or so.

Been having a great time learning how to use it, and when I made coffee for my workmates at my night job, they said it tasted just like the cafe stuff - so I mustn't be doing too bad. Looking forward to getting actually good at it and not just "workmates don't know the difference" good, with how much money I spent on coffee before this machine will have paid itself off in 5 weeks and is WAY more fun

Anyway, it's a bit TL;DR but I just thought I'd share my story here as the excitement of making my own real coffee hasn't worn off (And probably won't ). I doubt I will top this purchase for the rest of the year
    Last edited by Wrathlon; 16th May 2014 at 01:52 AM.
    Dimal and tiddler2 like this.

STS
    Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy the ride. Lots to learn on this forum.

Sean

Isn't it great when things work out better than expected?
    Welcome to the wonderful world of decent, reliable coffees every day!

Congratulations, great story. Now I'm looking forward to part 2, where you stumble over a Bread Mixer and heat gun by the side of the road and start roasting your own beans for $20 .

Bet that coffee tastes great too.

Cheers

CH

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeineholic View Post
    Congratulations, great story. Now I'm looking forward to part 2, where you stumble over a Bread Mixer and heat gun by the side of the road and start roasting your own beans for $20 .

Cheers

CH
    Haha well I run my own computer tech business so I already have a heat gun that has 300/600 degree low/high settings. No bread maker because I recently bought a giant dual fuel oven so I cook bread manually, but after seeing the posts on here I may get one for roasting purposes.

Also one of the coffee roaster companies in the area, Roast Craft, is one of my customers, so I plan to hit them up for some beans too once I get a better way to store decent beans

Edit: It's really awesome to find a community thats a) Aussie, and b) Just happy to share a passion for coffee with each other, beats out all the car/tech forums where everyone is a douche to each other
    JWILL likes this.

Nice find Somehow bargain finds make the experience so much more satisfying!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathlon View Post

Anyway, it's a bit TL;DR but I just thought I'd share my story here as the excitement of making my own real coffee hasn't worn off (And probably won't ). I doubt I will top this purchase for the rest of the year
    nice score. nothing beats a good bargain, well only telling everyone what a good bargain you got.for the record i scored a pristine Gaggia classic for $67

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeineholic View Post

Cheers

CH
    thats me right now. grabbed a Bread maker for $5 and a back up popper for $2

Quote Originally Posted by cloudwarrior View Post

thats me right now. grabbed a Bread maker for $5 and a back up popper for $2
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathlon View Post
    Haha well I run my own computer tech business so I already have a heat gun that has 300/600 degree low/high settings. No bread maker, but after seeing the posts on here I may get one for roasting purposes.
    There's plenty of advice on the forums for Corretto roasting and BeanBay is super fast getting those greens out to you. . . .

Enjoy
    CH

awesome little bargain you got there and what a way to get started! welcome to cs! =)

Thanks for the tips, will definitely look into roasting my own stuff. Enjoying the hell out of it at the moment and will have to check out BeanBay

I had a similar experience at cash converters a few years ago. I occasionally drop in if nearby to see what stolen goods are for sale.

Dropped in one day to find a red em6910 for $260, looked brand new (I knew what parts wear having already owned mine for 4 years)and this one was mint cond. Looks like it hadn't made anymore then a dozen pours & milk jug was also still in shirk wrap. Offered them $220 and they accepted. Gave it too my folks as they were wanting one. Still going strong to this day!

They are a great little machine. Top buy!
    geral likes this.

The reason I joined this great community is because I just picked up a Silvia with steaming jug, stainless tamper & chocolate shaker for $200 from Savers! I had a Breville BCG450 that I had gotten from cashies for $10 and did the fine grind mod, but the wild inconsistency has forced me to buy a Rocky, so my initial outlay has doubled, but I am still rapt

Welcome to the wonderful world of espresso. It won't be long until the upgraditis bug bites but see how long you can resist! In the last 15y years I have only had 3 machines and 2 grinders which is not much compared to what others on this forum would have owned in that timeframe. My 3rd machine however was a quality Bezerra hx machine purchased 6 years ago and a mazzer super jolly grinder. Point is that if you do get the upgraditis bug at some stage it might be worth investing in quality equipment that will last a lifetime. I always joke about the fact that I will be leaving the Mazzer in my will!

Yeah when I get into something I normally start small but decent to get me going then jump to the high end of everything. Id rather spend an extra 50% now buying something that will last for life than save a bit now, only to wind up spending double upgrading to what I shojld have done in the first place.