Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Lou27
  • 1 Post By chokkidog
  • 1 Post By deegee
  • 1 Post By Lou27
  • 1 Post By geral
  • 1 Post By chokkidog

Thread: Please help a tired mumma in need of a good coffee :)

Please help a tired mumma in need of a good coffee :)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello there,
    i am new to this site. I hope you can help. I am wanting to purchase a coffee machine. My budget is around $650. I have a baby so ever morning I get so excited for my morning cup of coffee. As I can only have one a day I really want a good one. I am really over instant coffee. I previously owned an Aldi pod machine. I need something that is not going to be to time consuming. Thankyou so much. I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions .
    geral likes this.

Hi Lou27 and welcome to CS!!

For your budget I would suggest looking at a good quality grinder and french press (plunger) or aeropress type.

Having a good grinder will allow you to upgrade to an espresso machine in the future without having to
    buy a new grinder as well. Something like a Macap M2M. A few others to check out here:

Doserless | Product Categories | Talk Coffee

No matter which coffee making appliance you use, having the ability to produce good quality, fresh ground
    coffee, on demand as you need it, will give you the best result possible.

Hope you get some and sleep! Have fun on your coffee journey!
    Dimal likes this.

Thank you for your reply. Does the aeropress do a good latte or cuppaccino? What is the breville express like? I would be happy to purchase a second hand grinder.

Hello and Welcome Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Lou27 View Post
    Does the aeropress do a good latte or cuppaccino? What is the breville express like?
    Unfortunately the Aeropress can't make a real cappuccino or latte. They make great black coffee, or good coffee with milk, but they are not the same as you would get from an espresso machine. You can make a "near latte" by brewing a very strong short black, and adding frothed milk, but it will not be quite the same as the real thing.

I'm not familiar with the Breville Express, but our family has not had good experiences with coffee machines from appliance makers like Breville or Sunbeam, so I'm a bit wary of them. If you are referring to the Barista Express, you need to be aware that it will take up all your budget - leaving little or nothing for a grinder.
    Now most experienced coffee lovers will tell you that the grinder is just as important - if not more important - than the coffee maker. This is why chokkidog recommended a good grinder and the low cost Areopress. You don't need that good a grinder for the press but he is assuming that you will probably want move on to an espresso machine sometime in the future.

Cheers, deegee.
    chokkidog likes this.

Thanks deegee, yes Lou27, that's exactly what I was recommending. :-)

As you need to purchase a good grinder, I simply can't recommend any machines in that price range that come with the tags 'quality' or 'easy to use',
    especially where milk is concerned.

Have a read of some Aeropress related threads.

Brewing Equipment - Manual Coffee Brewing Processes

The coffee geek website has an extensive thread on the Aeropress.

It is not an espresso device but more a simple effective way of producing really nice coffee.

My daughter uses one.

We all need to budget our resources and I was trying to help you with a strategy that might see you with a nice
    set up, but in a bit more time than what you might have anticipated.

By purchasing the grinder first you will be making the most important step towards great coffee at home.

A budget of ≈$1500 might be more realistic for an espresso machine and grinder.

Thank you both for your reply. I think I am going to have to come up with some more money. I spoke to a lady from jet black today. They have a lelit combi there I am maybe thinking I should try to get that one. Or should I maybe buy a separate grinder and machine?
    Thundergod likes this.

Hey from one newbie to another (& I'm a busy mum) I've gotten by for almost 12months with a second hand package Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Rocky grinder. Sourced on here & other selling sites. Together was under $650 and I've just started buying beans from here too. Before I decided finances could allow an upgrade I was happy with the resulting coffee. From my research before buying the Gaggia another machine I considered was the Saeco Via Venezia. Before purchasing my new machine i was definatley on the hunt for a rancilio silvia, just my two cents worth
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by geral View Post
    Hey from one newbie to another (& I'm a busy mum) I've gotten by for almost 12months with a second hand package Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Rocky grinder. Sourced on here & other selling sites. Together was under $650 and I've just started buying beans from here too. Before I decided finances could allow an upgrade I was happy with the resulting coffee. From my research before buying the Gaggia another machine I considered was the Saeco Via Venezia. Before purchasing my new machine i was definatley on the hunt for a rancilio silvia, just my two cents worth
    Bingo. Gaggia & Saeco second hand both good for the budget. Gaggia better. (I own both) .

Not for us to tell you what you should or shouldn't do... :-D

Starting with a combination grinder/ machine is at least a start and may well whet your appetite for an
    upgrade in the future.

It depends on whether or not you get hooked! :-)

It's great that you're talking to some good people.
    Thundergod likes this.

Used combi machines come up from time to time here for well under your budget. The Nemox Cafe Del Opera (rebadged combi) was my first "real" machine and I still have it. It is great for taking places as it's one compact unit.

Cheers

Thankyou so much for your replies. I will keep looking on this site for a second hand machine and maybe go and look at the lelit combi on the weekend. I will be in desperate need of a good coffee as I will be doing a night duty.
    Geral what coffee beans do you get? I will have to order some

Re coffee beans, main thing is to make sure they are freshly roasted. Look for a roasted on date. Heaps of varieties you can buy on this site. Generally I would classify all the beans I have bought here (green) as delicious!

Cheers

Hey you can find the roasted beans I've started buying on here, button at the top 'bean bay'