• 2 Post By TC
  • 7 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso
  • 2 Post By ozscott

Thread: Wanting to step up

Wanting to step up

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I am looking for a new coffee machine. I currently have a Bes900 Dual boiler. This has served me well. I have moved house and now this machine is just HUGE on my bench. I am looking for another machine and don't know what you would recommend.

We have max 4 Coffees a day but the machine does get a fair workout when people come over. What machine can you recommend?
    Price isn't as much an issue as space or coffee quality.

TIA

TC
    For your brief, I'd suggest you might have a look over the VBM Domobar Junior....

Strega

That's going to be my step up when I can afford it

TC
    A Strega does not fit the OP's brief as the requirement is for small. In addition, it needs a PID to be a good machine. Great bits and pieces, excellent finish but the stuff you can't see is just as important. Wait for the Strega II.

Ummm yeah because the Stega is Width: 330mm Depth: 450mm and the BES900 is Width: 405 mm Depth: 377 mm

Yep you are right completely different!

I realise you sell the VBM Domobar Junior and only care about getting a sale but shit sometimes think about others first!

Lelit Mara?

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    To be fair SS, the Strega and BES900 consume a bench area of 1500cm2 (or however you want express it) +/- 25. The Domobar Jnr is not much more than half of this bench area (22.5 x 35)

True Barry, I had a laugh I'll always tell people to get a lever, quality of shot makes up for the bench space and pfft sometimes I just want to be a bitch

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    I want a lever one day too....
    shapeshifter likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
    Ummm yeah because the Stega is Width: 330mm Depth: 450mm and the BES900 is Width: 405 mm Depth: 377 mm

I realise you sell the VBM Domobar Junior and only care about getting a sale but shit sometimes think about others first!
    The VBM is only 10 cm narrower and 5 cm shallower. Now what was that brief again?

Good to see that your disposition hasn't changed shapeshifter. You bring such joy and so many useful contributions to this forum.

Now back to the other place for you. You'll be amongst 2 like-minded mates there with their 3 members. You don't know me.

Quote Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post

What is the height of both? I think Chris was referring to the overall size package, not just the footprint. I'll stand corrected though if I'm off the mark.
    Steve.

Chris honey, I wouldn't want to disappoint you by changing.

At least people know where they stand with me and I never have ulterior motives.

TC
    Thanks for the belly laugh. Your hot air warmed the room. Sadly, we are now left with the stench of methane.

Whilst some might not notice when something is near 50% bigger, it all depends on who's looking and the available space in the room.

Back to Blaire's question. The brief was for a small machine which will cope with groups- i.e back to back capacity. The VBM and Mara have the smallest footprints in the class. I don't yet have hands on experience with the Mara but it's similarly spec'd to the VBM, so I'd assume similar performance. It will also be faster back to back than any lever machine. Both are little more than 50% of the width of your Breville.

My advice for you is to find yourself a reputable sales outlet that has a range of gear to suit and then sample them. The right machine will be the one that ticks your boxes, not mine nor those of anyone else. Chances are those who run the show might have actual experience of more than one or two machines.
    Dimal and Caps like this.

Will my size limit inhibit the quality of shot that these machines have? If all else fails I can put it somewhere else in the house. So would you still recommend the same machine?

TC
    Hi Blaire,

I really think you will be best to speak with someone who understands the differences between a range of machines. If you buy a good one, shot quality will be a given and the general consensus is that the e-61 group is capable of delivering a little more body than that of the Breville group. I am not so sure that I can verify this as I have not blind tested the theory. The Breville is a great machine for those shopping at <$1.5k.

The jump up will give you better steam performance, longevity and stainless over plastic. A good e-61 machine will manage back to back for as long as you want to stand there and do it. What you need in terms of a machine will ultimately come down to your budget, how you choose to drink your coffee and how much you want to fiddle in search of that elusive perfect shot.

We do have an ulterior motive. It's to match our clients with the right machine. Not the most expensive machine. Not the one I like. Not the one with a lever because some eggspurt likes it. Not necessarily the machine we sell. We have recommended the Breville to many callers and I have also pointed potential clients to good pre-loved machines here. Our loss, their gain but for the good of our community.

I do this because coffee is in my blood. Call some other sponsors as well. You will find that we have very similar motivations- all due to our passion for coffee at its absolute best.
    Last edited by TC; 1st June 2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: typolexia

Hi there have u had a look at the sunbeam em7000 I've had the last 3 models and the em7000 is the icing on the cake.good size on the bench,makes a great shot with fresh beans,and best of all it's simple and easy to use.have a look u won't be dissapionted.since I bought mine friends and family members have since bought the same machine and have never looked back.good luck .

TC
    Erm. That would be a downgrade from the OP's current machine Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by andy67 View Post
    Hi there have u had a look at the sunbeam em7000 I've had the last 3 models and the em7000 is the icing on the cake.good size on the bench,makes a great shot with fresh beans,and best of all it's simple and easy to use.have a look u won't be dissapionted.since I bought mine friends and family members have since bought the same machine and have never looked back.good luck .
    Sounds like a product plug rather than a recommendation, not a great deal of convincing points there.
    Also, you had the last 3 models? What of, twin thermoblock Sunbeams? That's interesting seeing as there was only the EM6900 and EM6910.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaire View Post
    Will my size limit inhibit the quality of shot that these machines have? If all else fails I can put it somewhere else in the house. So would you still recommend the same machine?
    Hi Blaire,

Both the Lelit Mara and Vibiemme Junior are temperature stable HX machines. Shot quality is excellent and they're also built to last. The Mara is a little narrower than the Junior but both take up very little bench space.

charlie
    TC likes this.

Wanting to step up

Chris at Talk Coffee and several other vendors on this site give sage advice. I would recommend their views over those of keyboard jockeys. Certainly some non vendor posters on here have plenty of experience and their posts over a period of years may give some indication as to their reliability...some others not so much...

Cheers
    chokkidog and TC like this.

SOB
    Hi,
    I can say the Lelit Mara is an excellent machine - highly recommend it and think its worth look - if you want to reduce your overall size but no reduction in quality.