Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kabong
  • 1 Post By Matthew8

Thread: Sunbeam EM6910 plumbed in

Sunbeam EM6910 plumbed in

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I got sick of having to continually re-fill our coffee machine with water, as it always seemed to happen half way through brewing one.

So i did some searching, trying to find whether anyone else had worked out how to convert their machines to plumbed in, instead of using a water tank.

Then I stumbled across fridgefilters.com.au and found I could install a float value (just like a toilet cistern) in the existing tank and plumb it in that way, thus leaving the machine pretty much unchanged and easily restorable to normal operation.

I decided the best way was to put a hole in wall of the the water tank and through the back door.

This means I have to disconnect the plumbing to open the door, but since this is a rare event, not really an issue.

But for this, and as a precaution, I added an isolation tap to the plumbing to make it easier to turn off the water when necessary.

I'd already had my fridge plumbed for ice and water, through a pressure reducer and filter, so it was easy to add a T piece and then run the new line to my coffee machine.

Using the John Guest "push to fit" fitting made it so quick and easy to do, and all up I had it operational in under 3 hours.

The tank now runs at ~1/2 full all the time, and the re-filling is so slow that you never hear it, or even realize it is maintaining the level.

Now I only have to remember to empty the drip tray (the wife never notices)

All up $90 spent for the convenience.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10078...05045809296561

It was fun
    Steve
    Thundergod likes this.

Well done.

What the!

Quote Originally Posted by kabong View Post
    It was fun
    Steve
    Very clever, EXCEPT for running water through a power point.
    TC likes this.

Rbn
    Be sure to cover the front clear panel that is the volume gauge.

The clear panel will allow enough light in so that eventually algae could grow.
    You don't want that!

And so it did

Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    Be sure to cover the front clear panel that is the volume gauge.

The clear panel will allow enough light in so that eventually algae could grow.
    You don't want that!
    It seems you äre correct. I just upgraded to a Breville BES920, and so switched the plumbing across to it.

Upon opening the Sunbeam and removing the water tank, I noticed a greazy film around the edge of the tank, and on the float.

So, after a good clean, I have now installed in the BES920, including taping up the water level window.

The advantage of doing it on the BES920 is that the water tank is directly removable, rather than through the door on the Sunbeam, so it'll be easier to open/inspect and clean on the Breville, than it was on the Sunbeam.

It's probably also time to upgrade my filters.

And i noticed a layer of