Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Shot by volume VS shot duration?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    33

    Shot by volume VS shot duration?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I just upgraded to a new Breville BES920 from my old Sunbeam EM4800C.

    Now i have to actually learn to coffee to get the most of this machine.

    Should I learn using the shot duration system set to 25sec with a 5 sec pre-infusion and adjust my grind/dose/tamp to get the required volume in that time,

    OR

    Would it be better to learn by using the shot volume setting and adjust the GDT to suit a decent extraction time?

    Just asking for opinions on either as to what people are doing with their machines.

    I ran out of beans last night as i bought the machine yesterday and only had about 100g left of 2.5 week old beans in the grinder hopper left. Used them up experimenting with GDT setup while using the shot duration method.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    681
    Only speaking from experienced user of 900 perspective. I have always thought that one is better starting out by turning the pre infusion off. Different pressures / times coupled with different beans / roast profiles can add up to a lot of variance in whether or not the PI actually makes for a better shot.

    I think a good starting point would be to just set the timer to 28secs, turn off the PI and get shots you really enjoy. THEN using the same coffee and grind add some PI parameters and see the differences if any in how the extraction looks and most of all tastes, experiment and repeat forever....

    The volumetrics can be useful once you have everything dialed in and you are producing consistent shots. You would then set the program for the volumetric button for that coffee / session, say to make a lot of milk drinks, means you can hit the button, forget about the shot and concentrate on getting some good quality stretched milk.

    Well roasted , blended and balanced espresso blends do not really benefit from any PI in my experience. Really fresh coffee benefits from long low pressure PI, lighter roasted SOs can be experimented with to try and get the best out of them.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,376
    Personally, I set my grind based on a fixed dose mass, until I get a nice slow pour. I don't stop the shot at any particular time, or volume, but once the pour starts to visibly appear less viscous (I.e. the cone shape of the stream narrows). Does require a naked portafilter though. I used ro do the same thing on my breville, even rhough it permitted volumetric (or rather, timed) pours.

    Personally, I don't think setting grind and dose to "get a shot time" is particularly useful.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJack View Post
    Personally, I set my grind based on a fixed dose mass, until I get a nice slow pour. I don't stop the shot at any particular time, or volume, but once the pour starts to visibly appear less viscous (I.e. the cone shape of the stream narrows). Does require a naked portafilter though. I used ro do the same thing on my breville, even rhough it permitted volumetric (or rather, timed) pours.

    Personally, I don't think setting grind and dose to "get a shot time" is particularly useful.
    In the grand scheme of things could not agree more, but the OP is a new user and having a target time to aim for give or take a couple of seconds, to get the taste they are happy with is a good starting point...Generally on BES900 I don't enjoy any shots that are under 27 seconds in length, they tend to be a bit rough.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve82 View Post
    I think a good starting point would be to just set the timer to 28secs, turn off the PI and get shots you really enjoy. THEN using the same coffee and grind add some PI parameters and see the differences if any in how the extraction looks and most of all tastes.
    I will work on this method as the way you explained it makes perfect sense.

    I am going to do some one on one training with the guy I buy my beans off of shortly. So I am pumped for that.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonson View Post

    I am going to do some one on one training with the guy I buy my beans off of shortly. So I am pumped for that.
    I notice you are in Brisbane Jason.
    Where do you buy said beans from?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •