Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve82

Thread: NEW Breville BES920 HELP REQUIRED PLEASE!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

NEW Breville BES920 HELP REQUIRED PLEASE!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys

I have just bought a brand new Breville BES920 today and I have bought some pre ground Vittoria coffee to go with it. I am completely new to a group handle coffee machine and have watched several youtube help videos but am still having issues. When I try to produce an espresso shot I get a very bubbly espresso shot that comes out very ugly and starts off slow but gets very quick and I know that this isn't right. I need urgent help please. I am sorry if this has been answered already. I think I am tamping incorrectly or something. I have not changed any of the factory settings.

Thanks heaps.

Welcome.

Did you not get the deal where they include the breville smart grinder with the machine?

Ditch the pre ground dross and go and get yourself some freshly roasted beans from one of the many site sponsors offering them....ask for a roast date or by from some Espresso WOW from Beanbay and it will be freshly roasted for you after ordering. Oh and get a grinder if you didn't get one...that's a whole different kettle of fish, but the matching breville grinder will do a fine job.
    reece121 likes this.

I did get that deal However I am still awaiting the grinder as Harvey Norman were out of stock

Quote Originally Posted by reece121 View Post
    I did get that deal However I am still awaiting the grinder as Harvey Norman were out of stock
    Can I ask what you paid for the deal? I went to Harvey Norman in Penrith (NSW) today to see if they'd throw in the grinder for free and they wouldn't - wouldn't even discuss doing a deal. I know people were getting the combo for around $1200 in Dec/Jan but I can't find anything like that now.

$1400 From Moorabbin (VIC)

Tell them that on the Breville website it states that it includes the grinder!

Thanks reece121. I'm really annoyed now! I'll do some ringing around tomorrow to see where else I can get them as a package.

When I insert the portafilter into the group head it is very stiff and hard to lock in place. Is this normal??

Site Sponsor
    Yes this is normal. It will bed in & loosen up with use.

Cheers, Phil

Thanks for clearing that up Do you have a solution for the bubbly and fast espresso shot??

Thanks for clearing that up Do you have a solution for the bubbly and fast espresso shot??
    Use fresh coffee. When you get your grinder, and try it with some fresh beans, you'll understand.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJack View Post
    Use fresh coffee. When you get your grinder, and try it with some fresh beans, you'll understand.
    Don't buy your beans from a supermarket when you get your grinder. Go to a good coffee outlet and purchase fresh beans. All good stores will provide a roast date for the beans.

Hey guys
    I get a very bubbly espresso shot that comes out very ugly and starts off slow but gets very quick and I know that this isn't right. I need urgent help please.

Thanks heaps.
    The coffee starts slowly due to “pre-infusion”. Look it up in the instruction booklet. If after that it is coming out too fast it is because the pre-ground coffee is ground too coarse for your machine.

Barry

Thanks guys I'll try it out and let you know

My favourite coffees are Allpress Espresso and Dimattina Coffee. Would they be fresh enough to get a quality shot?

I have not used Allpress Espresso or Dimattina Coffee myself. Their websites show that they are well experienced with coffee. You will only know that it is fresh if they have the roasting date printed on the package, or can tell you when it was roasted.

Generally coffee is at its best flavour from about 1 to 3 weeks after roasting. Give or take a few days, depending on its origin and depth of roast.

Barry

Ok so what setting should I grind my coffee at?

Ok so what setting should I grind my coffee at?
    This depends on the grinder and also the coffee. If you got the BCG820 to go with your BES920 consider a fairly fine grind with more espresso oriented burr calibration (see the picture in the first post of the thread linked below and read the manual for how to do it).

Start with maybe 3 as a setting on the burrs and then half way up the espresso scale on the display (between coarse and grind). If the machine chokes back it off and grind it coarser. If the pull is fast and inconsistent then grind it finer. Don't forget if you use different beans you have to start all over again to find that sweet spot.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/3...inder-pro.html

Thanks, but I have the BCG800 so it's a little different. I am using the 2nd finest grind and still aren't getting a perfect shot. I sometimes reach 9 bar, but not always. I use the razor tool. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please help.

The espresso shot doesn't poor straight and is a little fast, I think.

Thanks, but I have the BCG800 so it's a little different. I am using the 2nd finest grind and still aren't getting a perfect shot. I sometimes reach 9 bar, but not always. I use the razor tool. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please help.
    Your grinder may need to be shimmed. Quite common, just ring Breville and tell them its not grinding fine enough and you require a shim kit. They will send it out to you for free, with instructions and its pretty easy to do.

This will give you some more room play, in the mean time just set it as fine as it will go and dose a touch higher to slow down the pour.

As your beans age they will require and increasingly finer grind to get an acceptable pour. Its much easier working with beans that have a known roasting date, generally speaking, with most quality blends, days 5 to 12 post roast will deliver the best shots and also the coffee is much easier to work with.

May be a silly question but you are tamping the coffee/using an unpressurised basket right? Cause if you are using the pressurised baskets then the shot will look weird

I could try a finer grind. I still have 2 finer options. I am using the single wall basket.

Thanks. I will experiment with a finer grind. I have beans from Dimattina that are about a week old I think.

I am now using the finest grind. I have consistently been getting 9 bar The coffee doesn't taste like the same beans I am used to at cafés. Am I doing things right? Also, how often do you perform the weekly clean as stated in the quick start guide? Do I really need to do it once a week? I don't want to have to buy cleaning tablets so often if I don't need to. Thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it.