Thread: Specification of the "new thread" of the Sunbeam EM6910 Portafilter

Specification of the "new thread" of the Sunbeam EM6910 Portafilter

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Good evening All,

I have a new Sunbeam EM6910 espresso machine and the portafilter double spout is too wide for small espresso cups.

I purchased a "standard" single spout from coffeeparts which is 3/8" BSP thread. BUT my EM6910 has a super-fine thread, which has nearly double the number of threads per inch than the standard 3/8" (plumber's standard) fitting. This is a new thing: previously they were BSP.

Would anyone know the specification of this "new" thread?

Regards and thanks,
    George.
    Last edited by GeorgeBoles; 1st July 2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Better wording

Might not be of much help, but doesn't the em6910 come with both double and single spout attachments?

Quote Originally Posted by burr View Post
    Might not be of much help, but doesn't the em6910 come with both double and single spout attachments?
    Mine did! however that was 5 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBoles View Post
    Good evening All,

I have a new Sunbeam EM6910 espresso machine and the portafilter double spout is too wide for small espresso cups.

I purchased a "standard" single spout from coffeeparts which is 3/8" BSP thread. BUT my EM6910 has a super-fine thread, which has nearly double the number of threads per inch than the standard 3/8" (plumber's standard) fitting. This is a new thing: previously they were BSP.

Regards and thanks,
    George.
    why don't you just use it with no spouts on ?

The EM7000 has a thread a lot finer than the EM6910 - if your PF has a fine thread, is it the right one? The EM7000 PF handle is sloped so if you sit it flat on the bench the basket is level and the handle touches the bench. The EM6910 handle is straight. If they've altered the 6910 handle it would be strange given it isn't a current model.

Now to find a way to get mine back together - anyone know what that gunk is they have in the thread that stops the spout from sealing against metal? Without it the spout turns too far.

Off to Bunnings... (the things we do for CS'ers... )

If you don't need the double spout, you could just cut the bottom out and go naked. Else, why not just use it with no spout attached?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBoles View Post
    Good evening All,

Regards and thanks,
    George.
    Hi George

If you are in WA, I am about to convert yet another stainless 6910 (old thread) p/f to naked. Willing to straight swap for yours, as after the hole goes through the thread gets binned and it will be irrelevant anyway. May help you out.

Also, a 6910 has both a single and double spout shipped as standard: I have a small selection of them here from the other dozen or so I have done. If you bought it new, check the packaging. Of course, knowing SB, they may have changed that too...

Converting to naked will (IMO) always give you a better cup, however there are two gotchas:-

1) No more splitting shots.
    2) Any poor technique will be obvious, and potentially will spray everywhere to boot.

On the positive side, sorting out your technique is never a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    Now to find a way to get mine back together - anyone know what that gunk is they have in the thread that stops the spout from sealing against metal? Without it the spout turns too far.

Off to Bunnings... (the things we do for CS'ers... )
    Hi JM: Loctite, however I prefer good old "plumbers teflon tape" (doesn't taste of anything) which allows you to work out how many layers you need to get the spouts aligned to your heart's desire. My other answer involves a metal lathe...

Hope this helps both of you.

TampIt

Well, I'm not sure what the gunk was that was in there, but I have teflon tape (I think - it's the white stuff, right?) and I picked up a tube of silicon sealant - figure between the 2 I should be able to get the spouts back where they should be.