Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Journeyman

Thread: Em7000 temperature question

Em7000 temperature question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys

sorry if this has been answered somewhere, please repost the link if it has.
    Im just wondering what the temperature of the water from the group head should be?
    i have upped it 2deg from the standard but when I put it in a cup it's about 50deg. Is this hot enough?
    The reason I ask is I'm struggling to get good crema on my shots. I have the breville smart grinder and fresh beans that have been roasted a few days ago. I've tried grinding it really fine but it choked the machine and I've had a bit of success grinding coarser but still not great results. 2mm cream a at best. I've been using the single basket mainly.
    I also went to the sunbeam coffee school and got great results on the same machine haha, any help will be great.

Homz

Do you heat your cups, and your portafilter?

I find that shots which pour too slowly (I.e bordering on choked), don't produce much crema.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJack View Post
    Do you heat your cups, and your portafilter?

I find that shots which pour too slowly (I.e bordering on choked), don't produce much crema.
    Hi MrJack

yup i heat the cups and the portafilter and make sure it is really dry before i add the coffee.
    And i agree with your thoughts on the slow poor. I've tried grinding a bit coarser and used progressive tamping but still no great results. That's why i asked the question about the machine so i can rule out any issues with that, though im sure its user error , If anyone that has a Em7000 could run some water into a cup and measure the temp it would be greatly appreciated.

No worries

Also consider that the measured temperature might not reflect the actual temperature - I measured some water from my group (mid pour and in a jug) on the weekend with a thermocouple in a very long sheath, and the highest I read was 65C, with a long lag (which I'm quite sure was at least 20C below actual)...

Remember that when cold, the thermometer itself will absorb heat from the water. This is obviously more significant when you are measuring smaller amounts.

You want to see 93' from the water coming from the brew head.
    My Lelit PL60 needs minimum of 10 minutes warm up and about 60ml flushed through the group to achieve that in the short time.
    I'll also warm the cups and portafilter with hot water from the tap to help get the temps into it

Otherwise it really needs 30 minutes or more with the cups on top and PF in the group for everything to heat up properly.

I tested and calibrated my output temps vs the set temp of my PID with a Fluke meter and thermocouple.
    I pre-heated everything with hot tap water to ensure as little heat-soak out of the brew water

Quote Originally Posted by Robbks View Post
    You want to see 93' from the water coming from the brew head.
    My Lelit PL60 needs minimum of 10 minutes warm up and about 60ml flushed through the group to achieve that in the short time.
    I'll also warm the cups and portafilter with hot water from the tap to help get the temps into it

Otherwise it really needs 30 minutes or more with the cups on top and PF in the group for everything to heat up properly.

I tested and calibrated my output temps vs the set temp of my PID with a Fluke meter and thermocouple.
    I pre-heated everything with hot tap water to ensure as little heat-soak out of the brew water
    Thanks for that Robbks, i preheat all my stuff also
    Still not having much luck with the shots, ill just keep experimenting with the grind and tamp pressure. I seem to get thin crema that dissolves quite quickly.... weird

Try keeping your grind fine, but under-dose a little from where you are and use a slightly lighter tamp.
    I've changed the travel-cups I've been using of a morning from 8oz to 12oz so I need a double shot in each. But my wife doesn't like the full 18g double in the 12oz cup
    So until my 15g VST basket arrives I've been experimenting with under-dosing my 18g down to about 15g but finer grind and lighter tamp.
    they have been producing some really great shots,

ZumD
    Last edited by Javaphile; 22nd July 2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Fix link(s)

OK, I'm puzzled... What does the photo of 2 girls, albeit nice looking girls, have to do with EM7000 temps? Or coffee at all for that matter?
    Vinitasse likes this.

I'm not gonna put a guarantee on this, but I think that pic might be intended for another thread. Something about it just gives me that idea.

Bit more exciting than my temp question.....

I'm still waiting for someone to measure the output temps....