Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 2 Post By geebee666

Thread: Heavy duty machine required.

Heavy duty machine required.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    Our Saeco Odea Giro Plus is at end of life and I am looking for a manual machine to replace it.
    We drink around 6 to 7,000 cups a year and the Saeco has lasted 2.5 years but is on its last legs.
    So which of the mid-range machines would cope with this level of usage and make a decent coffee?

Cheers

A La San Marco Flexa 85 E would easily handle that sort of traffic. I have put 10,000+ through mine over the past 3 years and haven't had even a hint of a problem yet. It will set you back around $2500 but will last forever.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Does your doctor approve of that caffeine intake? I'm no wowser, but I hope you throw a few decafs in.
    thegoner likes this.

There is three of us but yes I drink a lot of coffee, no decaf, I don't have any reaction to going cold turkey no headache, even my cardioligist said as long as it doesn't cause any symptoms don't worry about it
    The only draw back is it seems to kill coffee machines every couple of years or so.

Welcome to CS gb.

Ahhhhh........ caffeine!! So thats why machines wear out!!

But at 17.8 cups / day between 3 (@6500/year) that's not excessive.

I would think that any of the decent HX (heat exchanger) machines or Double Boiler in the $2500 +++++ category

will fill the bill. My Alex II has done 9400 in the two years that I've had the Robur. Purrrrrfect. ;-)

Do you really want to change to a "manual" brewing machine ?...
    That is a very different game for someone used to a fully auto.
    If it is to be manual, then most any of the HX "prosumer" type.. ( avoid the basic single boiler types), will easily handle your ~20 cups/day..but you are looking at $2k+
    Look at some of the LeLit range for a start maybe
    But, .. if you have been happy with the coffee and service from the Saeco, it would be hard to not suggest buying another the same.
    They seem to be available for $500 new, a price you would pay in depreciation of a "prosumer" manual machine, let alone what you may probably spend on maintenance also..... Buy a new Saeco every year and save money !
    Infact, you would need to spend another $500 on a grinder to go with most any manual espresso machine.

Not overly impressed with my current Saeco, its had a few issues and the service agent down here hasn't been able to fix one of the current issues after multiple visits, plus its been inconsistent for the last year.
    I have used a cheaper manual previously and have a fair understanding of them, I was looking at the dual boiler or dual thermo block Sunbeam or Breville the problem with the Breville is that its the same service center.
    Grinder wise I will re-wire the Saeco and use its grinder until something good comes on sale.
    I am not adverse to another auto but a manual I hope would have less breakdowns and being able to tweak the flavour more extensively is attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by geebee666 View Post
    Grinder wise I will re-wire the Saeco and use its grinder until something good comes on sale.
    I am not adverse to another auto but a manual I hope would have less breakdowns and being able to tweak the flavour more extensively is attractive.
    A manual machine will certainly be able to produce better coffee..providing you take the time to learn to use it correctly.
    but I suspect you will have to rethink that grinder idea if you want the best out of a manual.

What's your budget.?

I recently passed on a Wega Mini-Nova that was local to me
    was under $1000, used but only 3-4 years old.
    Tough, simple machine.

Earlier the Double Boiler Lelit was mentioned. and they can be had under $2K easily
    The new Lelit Mara HX will be close to $2k
    But once you go over that mark, the options open up wide in the HX machines and they will all cope with your needs for years and years.

Stepping away from the auto/ semi-auto appliances give you much better and simpler build quality.

Here's all the junk that exists within an EM6910, three chinese circuit-boards with soft-touch buttons, micro-connectors and tiny little relays
    IMAG0458.jpg

And here's the inside of a Double Boiler Manual Italian machine,
    solid switches, big relays (not pictured) boilers a pump and plumbing. An HX machine is simpler again
    Easy to identify and repair if something goes wrong (Less likely)
    2014-04-05 13.22.40.jpg
    Last edited by Robbks; 16th July 2014 at 01:24 PM.

Well after reading everthing on the net for around a week, I decided to go with a Sunbeam PU6910 reasons being dual thermo blocks, fullsize group, service and parts locally and not the same service center as the Saeco, cost $520 and I paid $89 for a 3 year warranty that also covers wear from heavy use
    So far very pleased it took 3 cups to get a vastly better coffee than the Saeco (used some of the guides/hints from users on Coffee Snobs) so from now on just tweaking, the steamer is 2 to 3 times faster than the Saeco and I can already knock out 3 good coffees quicker than the Saeco can
    Thanks for all the ideas and I did check out everyone of them.

Is that the pack with the 0440 grinder..?

Yes, the grinder seems pretty good, I am currently running it on 8 so plenty of adjustment left and easy to use one handed.

Well after reading everthing on the net for around a week, I decided to go with a Sunbeam PU6910....
    ....I paid $89 for a 3 year warranty that also covers wear from heavy use .
    Cannot say i understand how you came to that choice, but a very wise move on the warranty !
    good luck and keep us updated on your coffee journey !

Yes, the grinder seems pretty good, I am currently running it on 8 so plenty of adjustment left and easy to use one handed.
    Using the single-floor baskets.?

Yes, I never opened the double walled ones

The grinder took a dozen or so cups to settle in, setting 5 when originally setup choked the 6910 and now....
    I am now on grinder setting 4 and it looks like the perfect setting syrupy dark coffee oozing out and just blonding as the programmed timer cuts out, gauge is in the black/dark brown band, taste is superb.