Thread: Sunbeam 6910 coffee foaming issue

Sunbeam 6910 coffee foaming issue

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello everyone,

From time to time in the past I used to get an excess amount of gas coming from the shot, burbling and it seemed to become worse after the first coffee was made. Have noticed this happens more so with freshly roasted coffee. I have produced an exaggerated shot to show what is happening. If I over grind it does prevent the initial stages of foaming but does get worse half way through the shot. I made a video on Youtube, is this a machine fault? The grinder is getting long in the tooth but if I used an older roasted coffee is doesn't do it as much. Using Kicco coffee at the moment but this also occurs on my own 3 week aged Brazil roast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moVQ...ature=youtu.be

Thank you for any assistance

Charles.

The puck at the end looks terrible.
    Are you doing enough?
    Tamping hard enough?

But before you pull a shot, purge some water through the water outlet to bleed out any air in the system.
    Is there any leaking water under the machine which might be allowing air to get in.?

I've seen some really foamy shots like that from the beans I get, but only if they are super-super fresh (a day or two old)
    but never a sloppy aerated puck like that

I must admit that I exaggerated that shot to get an over foam by tampering less. You are right as it is only fresh coffee that has the issue. Another test was using the aeropress delivered a foamy coffee which has brought me to the conclusion it might be the grinder. Grinder is getting on and may need the burr replaced. Thanks for the feedback though.

I should read the question though.. No leaks from the machine but I was wondering if air was getting in. Other less fresh coffee works well.
    Have a spare grinder at work I will bring home to see if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    I must admit that I exaggerated that shot to get an over foam by tampering less. You are right as it is only fresh coffee that has the issue. Another test was using the aeropress delivered a foamy coffee which has brought me to the conclusion it might be the grinder. Grinder is getting on and may need the burr replaced. Thanks for the feedback though.

I should read the question though.. No leaks from the machine but I was wondering if air was getting in. Other less fresh coffee works well.
    Have a spare grinder at work I will bring home to see if that makes a difference.
    Hi soviet

Two quick thoughts gave rise to two questions:

1) Are you using the dual floor baskets?
    6910's ship with both single floor and dual / double floor baskets. The dual floor are "designed" for store bought "universal grinds" and foam like mad if you put a standard espresso grind through them, especially if the beans are fresh. The coffee is badly affected as well.

2) What type of grinder are you using?

Then perhaps CS can figure out what is going on.

TampIt

The single floor was thrown out at day one, don't like them. The default high end grinder that is getting long in the tooth so will need to update the burr,

The answer in the end I found was the bean, it was one that was roasted in a way that the dam gas would not escape, not sure what the science is behind that but tried another bean and had a perfect shot. With some beans I have to adjust the heat etc. and on the EM6910 that gets tricky. I guess when you use the high end grinders and machines the bean can be better managed.