Thread: EM6910 - group head cracked - replaced with new seal, really tight and leaks

EM6910 - group head cracked - replaced with new seal, really tight and leaks

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

So my father in law has an EM6910 which he had issues with leaking around the group head.

I took a look and the group collar had a large crack down the right side, clearly why it was not sealing.

I just replaced the locking collar last night which was a bit of a mission but all good and the machine also has a new group head seal.

Unfortunately the machine still leaks! It's also very noticeable that with the new collar the group handle hardly locks in - it doesn't even rotate past the higher lugs on the side of the group handle.
    The handle sits at about 60-70 degrees (with 90 degrees facing you directly) while most machines will have the group handle facing a 90-130 degree angle.
    I am not sure what is wrong now and how to fix it.

Any suggestions? It is possible that the group handle lugs are uneven but I find it highly unlikely (they looked fine) but can test with another group handle next weekend (machine is at his house)

I am worried at how tight the new collar is. Well, not so much how tight it is rather at how you can barely lock the group handle onto the collar.

The new collar seated and installed OK however:S

Far out just saw in another thread they had the EM7000R for $399! So frustrating which I had known - they would have even preferred the Red version! Argh.

applor,
    Sounds like you may have to drop out the gasket/seal and reinstall and reseat it again ,probably wasn't seated correctly when it was changed .
    See if that makes a difference.
    cheers
    mick
    Quote Originally Posted by applor View Post
    Far out just saw in another thread they had the EM7000R for $399! So frustrating which I had known - they would have even preferred the Red version! Argh.

Yeah guess I will be stripping it down all over again this weekend to see if it fixes it. let you know how I go.

changing the gasket is only taking off the shower-screen

Quote Originally Posted by Robbks View Post
    changing the gasket is only taking off the shower-screen
    The gasket was actually installed a month or two ago, so essentially new but wasn't done at the same time.

Unlikely to be the problem but yes you are right I could try doing just that first before I pull it apart to check the collar.

If anyone was interested, I pulled it all apart again and re-seated everything.

Found a small layer of coffee grinds under the seal so old that it was like a leather strip.
    Wasn't very thick though so don't think it was the cause.

I believe the new collar was not quite seated correctly or something, as it now works OK. Still tight (as expected though) but locks in properly.

Unfortunately the machines steamer is cactus too. It turns on, sounds normal and does steam but there is just no 'oomph' behind it. Can't texture milk with it properly and takes 4x as long compared to my other 6910's.
    The problem has been around for a while though apparently.
    Possibly the pump but he's just going to put up with it and buy a EM7000 when next on sale.

Thanks.

might be worthwhile disassembling, cleaning and re-lubing the steam tap.
    I also adjusted mine so that it opened slightly further, i.e find teh pint at which the tap actually begins to open and then put the knob back on the splined shaft.
    that way you're actually opening the tap further to allow more steam out the wand.

And you can also put the knob back on so that when in the closed position the stopper sits further backwards underneath the micro-switch.
    This again allows you to open the tap further again, shaving down the stopper a little also gains more too.

i did the same with the water tap anmd instead fo getting a pulse of water with the pulse of the pump it would be a constant stream, but it gets a little boost with teh pump