Thread: Rancilio Silvia... Where to from here?

Rancilio Silvia... Where to from here?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I've had my V1 Silvia for a few years now... Good reliable machine, but with it's limitations obviously. The main issues for me are that it can be a bit finicky to nail a great shot... there seems to be a small margin between running a bit fast and choking the machine. Pucks are often a little wet with puddling on top. I did a basic batista course a coupla weeks ago and nailed shot after shot that probably tasted better than anything I've ever pulled on the Silvia. Not sure whether I should start off getting the OPV adjusted to see if that is contributing?

Other issues, well not so much issues as things I'd be looking for better performance if upgrading, is steam performance (would changing the steam tip help?), and the obvious one is its limitations for pumping out more than a couple of coffees at a time.

So, if I were to upgrade, without spending a fortune, am I going to get improvement on these aspects, and what machines should I be looking at?

I'm thinking a NS Oscar (is steam significantly puncher than the Silvia?), Breville DB (with reservations around longevity and resale value) or maybe even trying to pick up a cheap second hand commercial or semi commercial single group machine etc.

Any thoughts on any of those options, particularly direct comparisons to the Silvia, and/or any other options I should consider?

Cheers,
    Damien

Dialling in a budget would help anyone wanting to comment; as well as noting where you are

at with your grinder..... happy with it, or upgrading that as well?

I don't have a lot of dollars allocated, so I'm thinking of looking for a used machine, sub $1k (preferably well under).

For example, I saw an Oscar sell on here for $450 in the last few days... seeing that sort of pricing, along with having some time on a commercial machine the other week, got me thinking about upgrades

Probably set for grinders for now... just picked up a compak k8 and still have the smart grinder.

Oh, and I'm just outside Melbourne, so Melbourne based would be good for inspecting in person.

Here's a good place to start
    Although not a huge range in the sub $1k at the moment.

Second Hand Coffee Machines

Quote Originally Posted by Robbks View Post
    Here's a good place to start
    Although not a huge range in the sub $1k at the moment.

Second Hand Coffee Machines
    Cool, thanks for that. As you say not a lot there at the moment but I'll keep an eye on it.

Out of interest, what are the BZ99's like? like I.e. how do they compare to say the Oscar?

Oscar is a great machine, and commercially rated so you will get heaps of longevity out of it. Also the steaming is seriously powerful, easily as powerful as all the commercial machines I've worked on, only problem is it is a bit wetter steam.

Quote Originally Posted by damienh7 View Post
    Cool, thanks for that. As you say not a lot there at the moment but I'll keep an eye on it.
    Also worth giving them a call to discuss your options,
    SOmetimes what they have in store, or coming in as a trade doesn't even make it to the website...
    such as my machine

Also worth giving them a call to discuss your options,
    SOmetimes what they have in store, or coming in as a trade doesn't even make it to the website...
    such as my machine
    Your machine? You selling something at the moment?

Just having a look back through current listings and recent sales here in market square seems to indicate that i should be to pick up something more around the $500 mark (e.g. a couple of Oscars and some single group semi commercial HX machines have sold fairly recently around that $5-700 range). I'll continue to keep an eye out!

Sorry, The machine I bought from them
    Lelit Dual Boiler

Sorry, The machine I bought from them
    Lelit Dual Boiler
    Ahhh, ok! Got ya.

Just looking back through items for sale/sold on here recently... Models like Faema E98, La Pavoni Pub, Boema single group, Bezzera BZ99, Rancilio S27/S24. Would it be fair to lump all of these machines in together as (semi) commercial HX machines suited to home use?

Any key differences in that group of machines, and how would they differ to the Oscar? Basically I'm not sure whether to limit my search to an Oscar, or whether some of these commercial style machines are worth consideration?