Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: ADVICE - WHAT TO DO - elektra nivola coffee machine

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1

    ADVICE - WHAT TO DO - elektra nivola coffee machine

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    HI all,

    Wondering if I can get some advice. I bought an Elektra Nivola Coffee machine approx 2002 - I used it for many years and then it broke down a few years later and got it serviced by an Electra service guy in Melbourne for approx $300. it worked for another 6 months then broke down again. From what I remember, there was steam leaking from the boiler. At the time I was pretty frustrated and ended up putting the machine in its box and stored away.

    My question is - is it worth getting it fixed? or should I just buy a new machine - its a lovely looking machine but its probably been about 8 years since it was last used. I did ask someone once and they said its not worth it.

    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rockingham W.A.
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    HI all,

    Wondering if I can get some advice. I bought an Elektra Nivola Coffee machine approx 2002 - I used it for many years and then it broke down a few years later and got it serviced by an Electra service guy in Melbourne for approx $300. it worked for another 6 months then broke down again. From what I remember, there was steam leaking from the boiler. At the time I was pretty frustrated and ended up putting the machine in its box and stored away.

    My question is - is it worth getting it fixed? or should I just buy a new machine - its a lovely looking machine but its probably been about 8 years since it was last used. I did ask someone once and they said its not worth it.

    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

    thanks

    Hi atomic

    ANY Electra is worth persevering with IF you are the type that can cope with the emotional roller coaster of this quintessentially Italian piece of art / coffee machine. They make a really good coffee on the (unfortunately rare) days they decide to play.

    You would probably be looking at over $1,000 in repairs (assuming boiler NFG, often it destroys the main control board if it leaks), so economically it would be suicide (just like my friends Alfa Romeo or my previous Duke 750SS).

    However, what can take its place? Only you can make that call.

    TampIt
    PS: I would be willing pay for the freight to pick it up from wherever in Oz it is, and repair it for myself. I must be considered an Electra addict! Mind you, I usually service my own everything (courtesy aforesaid 750SS, which had $2700 of warranty work on a $1800 "new at the time" motorcycle). Essential to maintain sanity as well as bank balance with such cantankerous SOB's.

  3. #3
    TOK
    TOK is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    .....Wondering if I can get some advice.
    Elektra Nivola Coffee machine approx 2002.............From what I remember, there was steam leaking from the boiler....

    My question is - is it worth getting it fixed? or should I just buy a new machine.................

    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.....
    Short (practical) answer:
    Nobody can answer that until they are given the opportunity to diagnose what the problem is and do a proper quote. It could be as simple as a $10.00 boiler seal and an hours labour (whatever anyone's minimum charge is to diagnose, disassemble, repair, reassemble and test etc) OR.....the sky is the limit.

    For such a minimal repair at a guess ($10.00 boiler seal plus an hours labour at say $100.00/hr plus GST plus say $10.00 "work shop materials") = $132.00. This would be from a good pro repairer that is not an authorised elektra service agent. If an authorised elektra service agent for the same repair...you could probably double it.... And if during the repair any of the silly plastic styling features get damaged because it is hard to get in to and is not designed for convenience but "style", and the repairer has to buy genuine parts to rectify, start adding big bucks...

    Long answer (personal opinion):
    Do you want a good coffee machine or an ornament? If you want a good coffee machine, better can probably be had for less than half the replacement cost of what you have that doesn't work. So you could consider putting the repair cost (whatever it is) towards getting a better coffee maker.

    In case you haven't guessed I don't buy the whole "quintessentially Italian piece of art / coffee machine" thing. They are expensive machines that by virtue of their design, cost more to manufacture than better coffee machines....

    That said. If you like it, that's all that matters, so you will have to make up your own mind (and that of course is why we all ride differing motorcycles... and they are "all good").

    Hope that helps.

  4. #4
    TOK
    TOK is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    697
    And thinking on this further:

    The only way you are going to know what your machine is going to cost to repair and / or what to do, is by paying for a quote, from which you are under no obligation to go ahead with a repair.

    Professional espresso machine repairers these days usually charge a quote fee to cover their time to work out what's wrong. Expect something like say $88.00 dollars but that will differ depending on the repairer, paid in advance. Select a good name profesisonal repairer.

    You can then decide whether to go ahead or not. If you decide not to repair, the quote fee is still money well spent because it allows you to make the most informed judgement with real facts. If on the other hand you do decide to go ahead and repair, the quote fee is usually accounted as a part payment towards the total cost of the final repair.

    Another thought. If you decide to accept the OP above's offer to take your non functioning elektra machine off your hands, why not see if he can offer some kind of reciprocal deal with some other machine, brand/model immaterial (as long as it is not a total insult , and is in good functioning order). You each pay the freight cost to despatch your machine to the other... That would be a Win / Win situation courtesy of the CS forum system

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rockingham W.A.
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by TOK
    In case you haven't guessed I don't buy the whole "quintessentially Italian piece of art / coffee machine" thing. They are expensive machines that by virtue of their design, cost more to manufacture than better coffee machines....
    Hi TOK

    Mostly the Italian stuff is a great design. Unfortunately, most of them went also through a massive drop on quality of material during the 70's and 80's to the extent that we used to call it Mafioso Metal (found in cars and bikes as well as espresso machines). That seems to be the main cause of their cantankerous nature. I have replaced their worst materials with local "proper equivalents" on too many occasions - including my own ex-Electra (lost in my divorce). It had some parts which should have been a decent stainless. The original "as shipped" could have been chromed muck-metal for all I know. Replaced them with a 4xx medical grade within a year of buying it. Lasted nearly another 20 years after that before I lost contact.


    Quote Originally Posted by TOK View Post
    And thinking on this further:

    The only way you are going to know what your machine is going to cost to repair and / or what to do, is by paying for a quote, from which you are under no obligation to go ahead with a repair.

    Professional espresso machine repairers these days usually charge a quote fee to cover their time to work out what's wrong. Expect something like say $88.00 dollars but that will differ depending on the repairer, paid in advance. Select a good name profesisonal repairer.

    You can then decide whether to go ahead or not. If you decide not to repair, the quote fee is still money well spent because it allows you to make the most informed judgement with real facts. If on the other hand you do decide to go ahead and repair, the quote fee is usually accounted as a part payment towards the total cost of the final repair.

    Another thought. If you decide to accept the OP above's offer to take your non functioning elektra machine off your hands, why not see if he can offer some kind of reciprocal deal with some other machine, brand/model immaterial (as long as it is not a total insult , and is in good functioning order). You each pay the freight cost to despatch your machine to the other... That would be a Win / Win situation courtesy of the CS forum system


    Thinking on this further, you are absolutely correct in that another opinion would be a good idea.

    FWIW, if I found it was something so minor I would have contacted the OP immediately to discuss. I never rip people off. If he was in WA, I would have suggested a couple of repairers I can trust to give it a once over.

    IF it was a manual paddle Electra, I would have made an offer. As it is, I really do not need a fifth machine... I would still rather repair an Electra as an "act of love" than let it go to a tip. No way would the repair as described be an economic decision!

    TampIt



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •