Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bbao
  • 1 Post By Robbks
  • 1 Post By bryonvp

Thread: EM6910 Coffee Extraction Times

EM6910 Coffee Extraction Times

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everybody, I've been lurking on CS for a while now and finally made the purchase of my first coffee machine and decided to go for the EM6910, an EM0440 grinder came as a packaged for $549 at good guys and went for another 2 years extended warranty for peace of mind. Had this setup for 2 weeks now and am comfortable in pulling shots in the double basket and adjusting the grinder.

I'm a first year barista, and have been accustomed to extractions within a 22-33sec timeframe on commercial machines. However I did a shot today with some beans from work (sick of using merlo beans, for convenience haha) and was expecting to bin the first pour to adjust the grind. It poured well into the 40s maybe even 50s mark and I decide to froth some milk to practice latte art (why the hell not was going to waste anyway?) and it was so delicious I ended up settling for that as my coffee for the day. It came out syrupy, honey like, I stopped the pour before it was close to blonding as I was aware of the extraction time.

Dose: weighed 20g freshly ground coffee
    I tamp fairly consistently: Fill, knock to collapse, tamp slightly, fill and final tamp.

I've also noticed most videos on youtube EM6910 shots shown extractions passing the 33s mark, whilst I know this is mostly a guide I'm super curious to hear from other owners of the EM6910 on what their extraction times are to produce their optimum espresso shot.

I own an EM6910 but my shots are no where near the 20-30 second zone. My EM440 grinder just doesn't grind fine enough! I guess it's time to buy something new :P

My 6910 would produce those 60ml doubles in 28-30 seconds, but my timing is measured from the time that the espresso starts to come out of the spouts, and not when the "pre-infusion" pumps start.

Bbao, check the threads in the grinders forum about shimming the burrs in the grinder to make it grind finer.
    it's a genuine Sunbeam fix that's easy enough to do.

Robbks, I installed the shims and wow, what a difference! I'm now producing 25-30 second shots!
    Robbks likes this.

Hi Guys,

Still getting used to my machine. I have played with grind (like Bbao - had to contact Sunbeam after my 440 was not grinding fine enough to get some shims - congrats btw) - have finally managed to get 20 - 30 sec pours however the pressure guage reads between 1 and 2 o'clock - which would seem overextracting.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that there is no way to keep the pour time the same with a lower pressure. The sweet spot (double walled filter with no grinds) seems to be just at the upper orange range (close to 12 o'clock). Any time I do a pour at this pressure, I get a quick, watery 10 sec pour.

Am I missing something, is there an adjustment to the machine that needs to be made for optimal performance, or is this to be expected.

Thanks in advance

My pressure gauge needed to be right up touching the red (3 o'clock) to get proper extraction>
    it's a guide at best.
    use your eyes, ears and taste-buds.

ears you migth ask.. my machine had a sweet spot where the pump was almost silent when at the correct pressure, under that it was clangy/ rattly, over that it was audibly straining.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbks View Post
    My 6910 would produce those 60ml doubles in 28-30 seconds, but my timing is measured from the time that the espresso starts to come out of the spouts, and not when the "pre-infusion" pumps.
    Interesting, I might just try that as I guess there is that delay with the preinfusion in comparison with other machines.

Did the same grind setting today and it choked. I guess it might have been a fluke that day (weather perhaps?) and when taking the preinfusion time into consideration (I start my timer as I press the double pour) its about right. Perhaps I reached the sweet spot on milk as well contributing to the overall taste of the latte? So many things to consider in pursuit of perfection haha.

Quote Originally Posted by bryonvp View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that there is no way to keep the pour time the same with a lower pressure. The sweet spot (double walled filter with no grinds) seems to be just at the upper orange range (close to 12 o'clock). Any time I do a pour at this pressure, I get a quick, watery 10 sec pour.

Am I missing something, is there an adjustment to the machine that needs to be made for optimal performance, or is this to be expected.

Thanks in advance
    It sounds like you might be underdosing your coffee in the porter filter which could lead to a quicker pour and lower pressure. The pressure should stay relatively constant, mine is usually just under the red section.

Do you weigh the amount of coffee you pack into the pf? Was the puck wet and soggy, or dry and comes out clean?

DO the 5 cent test to check your dosing.

Hi Guys,
    I have done the 5c test, and the coin was not pressed into the grinds. After a pour, the grinds come out dry and solid - usually falling out cleanly as a single solid biscuit. Under the red line, I will get a 10 sec pour regardless of coffee, grind or tamp and the coffee will taste and look watery. For a good looking and tasting 20-30 sec pour, it is always showing a high pressure. As Robbks said, maybe that is just my machine and I should worry about output more than what the guage is showing.

Worry about output, not the $2 gauge on a Chinese appliance.
    MrJack likes this.

Thanks for the tips guys.
    I have been experimenting with grind, dose and tamp (only ever one thing at a time though) and seem to have found the perfect, repeatable pour.
    Dose was 20g before, I am now using slightly less at 19g but tamping quite firmly. Pour takes a few secs after pre-infusion finishes, starts as a drip for a sec or two then two thin, very nice fluid streams of coffee. Best tasting coffee I have had out of the machine yet.
    Gauge sits in the red zone still, but that is no longer a concern. And the pump goes nice and quiet.
    Just need to perfect my milk texturing, and do something about the pf seal (shims or get back to customer support - who have been very outgoing and helpful so far).
    This coffee making thing is quite addicitive (maybe it's the caffiene...)
    Cheers
    Robbks likes this.