Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ausdb
  • 1 Post By Robbks

Thread: Sunbeam 9610 Shower Screen screw

Sunbeam 9610 Shower Screen screw

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys I have a Sunbeam 9610 that I am trying to change the Shower Screen seal on. I have the new seal but am having major issues removing the screw that holds the screen in. I hope someone can give me advice.

Chris

Have you cleaned it lately? If not put it through a cleaning cycle. I use cafeto instead of the tablets it works well. Then when you have finished and the machine is still warm turn it off and take out the water reservoir and the drip tray and turn it upside down so you have easy access to the screw rather than doing it up from underneath.
    Vamps likes this.

good quality tools.
    and apply plenty of upwards force.
    should be a standard PH2 screwdriver.

be careful turning these things upside down, a lot of users have done so and had shorted circuit-boards from residual water inside.

but as above, get the machine warmed up and try.

http://expert-cm.ru/images/stories/s...eam_em6910.pdf
    Vamps likes this.

Personally I've never had the need to turn my machine upside down to undo this screw but it would seem that others have done this before without tears.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...een-screw.html
    As always use your own best judgement, from the times that I have pulled my machine apart I dont recall seeing any places that water could escape from inside it but I'll have a look at the dead one in my shed tonight.

Thanks guys I will do a cleaning cycle and give it a go. I will keep you all updated.

Back again guys. I have tried running a couple of cleaning cycles to no avail. Also tried getting a stubbie screw driver onto the screw and hitting the handle with pliers. Thought it might shock it loose. I did think about getting the blow torch on it but that might be a bit extreme :-O. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

Straight up and down force will only get you so far. What I find more effective is coming at it from a perpendicular angle with a well fitting bit.
    You need a 90 degree ratchet or other tool which can take a no. 2 philips bit.
    Alternatively, a no. 2 philips screwdriver with a hole in the end in which you insert a rod which gives the turning force.
    Apply firm but constant force to the tool. If it doesn't budge, ease off and try again.
    What we want to avoid is snapping the head off the screw. If it's going to take extreme force to move it then it's probably going to snap anyway.

I've not found a shower screen screw I've not been able to undo with this method.

+1.

I always use Penetrene (one drop a day before, one drop before attempt usually is enough to loosen almost anything). Unless you do this type of thing a lot, buy the small, non spray one: it will last for a decade or so of "light use".

TampIt

My machine came with an allen key to remove the shower screen screw. No, it was not made by Ikea but by Breville. The allen key gives a better grip than a phillips screwdriver.

I once had trouble removing the screw. It needed a lot of force to make it budge. Now I am careful not to do it up tight. It comes off easily now.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
    My machine came with an allen key to remove the shower screen screw. No, it was not made by Ikea but by Breville. The allen key gives a better grip than a phillips screwdriver.

I once had trouble removing the screw. It needed a lot of force to make it budge. Now I am careful not to do it up tight. It comes off easily now.

Barry
    Morning Barry, had this problem many moons ago with my Silvia, the screw was a nightmare to remove, replaced it with a stainless socket head cap screw, never a problem after that.
    CoffeeGeek - Espresso: Espresso Machines, Correct size screwdriver for removal of Silvia screen?

Barry thanks for the Alan key idea. I will have to give that a try.

Wow talk about dragging up an old thread. I eventually fixed the stuck screw issue. It was a bit brutal but it worked and you wouldnt know any different. I removed the drip tray from the machine and tipped her on her back. I then drilled a hole through the base plate in line with the screw. Inserted a long philips head screwdriver through the hole and it undid as easy as pie. Removed the old seal, cleaned up the whole thing, new seal in ..... Awesome.

Cheers
    Chris