Thread: Jura ena 5 recommended settings

Jura ena 5 recommended settings

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Recently purchased a used jura ena 5. Mainly for ease of use. I've been playing around with the settings and was curious if their are any other jura owners out there and what settings they may use.

I've searched around the net and contrary to popular thought have read that jura customer support recommend a course grind and about 80ml of water for extraction.

Personally I didn't like it and am using a fine grind and about 35ml seems to give an OK espresso shot. Have to say their isn't much between a course grind and a fine grind.

It still drips through very quickly though and I can't seem to find a pressure setting, alas this may be one if the limitations of this machine.

Interested to hear others experience with this machine and their recommendations.

welcome to cs!

unfortunately i dont think there are many super-automatic owners on this forum... i'd say mostly due to either being very quickly converted to semi-auto users or chased away by semi-auto machines.

all i am writing is from having no personal experience with super autos whatsoever, but heres my 2 cents anyway:

i doubt the pressure on the jura will be any more than 9 bar and i dont think that's the problem...
    1. how fresh are the beans? where did you get them from? from my experience, stale beans can make flow quicker
    2. the grinder in the jura might not be able to go any finer and might be the problem you're facing
    3. the puck might be channelling (from the tamping mechanism in the machine not doing it evenly, etc) causing flow to go quicker

superautos need to be maintained especially since there are so many moving parts. try taking it apart and giving it a good clean /brush as often as you can.

Unfortunately the Ena 5 (and most Jura machines to be honest) is a pretty poor attempt at an automatic machine. I've repaired several and all of them are substandard even by automatic machine standards.

The grinder is incapable of grinding fine enough which you will never be able to overcome. The best way to improve the taste is to grind the coffee in a proper grinder and then use the grinder bypass option on the machine. Sort of defeats the purpose of the machine though.

Temperature stability and pressure are good, the grinder just lets it down. Also, the Ena 5 side panels are not designed to be removed without breaking them. I tried all the ways most machines are put together but they refused to budge. One or two of the clips can be saved which is enough to hold it together which will have to do.
    This will be annoying when you need to service the brew unit. The brew unit itself is simple and easy to service.

If you can sell it and pick up a Saeco or older DeLonghi you'll enjoy it much more. They both have removable brew units and far better grinders.
    The DeLonghi ESAM3500 and similar machines to that in the DeLonghi range have grinders that can grind fine enough to choke the machine which is an achievement in an automatic machine.
    The 3500's can be had pretty cheap second hand and can make some good coffee.

Thanks. I didn't think it would be the best. I bought it on impulse from eBay. If it doesn't work out I'll put it back on there.

The beans I used were very old and stale but I've got some on order from a local roaster so I'll see how it goes with those.

Thanks for the tip for grinding myself will give it a go.

It was more for the convenience factor. I have a percolator which I usually use but it takes a little work to keep clean.

TOK
    Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Unfortunately the Ena 5 (and most Jura machines to be honest) is a pretty poor attempt at an automatic machine. I've repaired several and all of them are substandard even by automatic machine standards.

The grinder is incapable of grinding fine enough which you will never be able to overcome. The best way to improve the taste is to grind the coffee in a proper grinder and then use the grinder bypass option on the machine. Sort of defeats the purpose of the machine though.

Temperature stability and pressure are good, the grinder just lets it down. Also, the Ena 5 side panels are not designed to be removed without breaking them. I tried all the ways most machines are put together but they refused to budge. One or two of the clips can be saved which is enough to hold it together which will have to do.
    This will be annoying when you need to service the brew unit. The brew unit itself is simple and easy to service.

If you can sell it and pick up a Saeco or older DeLonghi you'll enjoy it much more. They both have removable brew units and far better grinders.
    Hi there.

These machines are not designed to be "user serviceable", and unless you are working in an authorised Jura Service Centre, you don't have access to spare parts OR any special tools including the one for removing the side panels of Jura machines WITHOUT causing any damage. Attempting to remove the side panels without using the tool will result in breaking the clips but that can hardly be said to be the fault of Jura.

I just spoke personally with 3 Jura authorised Service Techs who are cross trained and are also authorised Saeco/Philips and Sunbeam Service Techs.

They noted that in terms of working on a range of the machines in general, they have their own pet likes and dislikes in terms of individual models irrespective of brand.

That said, they make a lot of money out of Saeco (if you get the drift), and by far the lowest breakdown and service rate goes to Jura.

Jura is designed and built (put together) better with better consistency of build through the range. Saeco on the other hand, depending on the individual model, can be quite haphazard and is no where as well designed.

Saeco brew units can be removed by the user for washing, and while Jura brew units cant (unless you are properly equipped and authorised), they offer you programmed cleaning cycles and products that do a better job than manually cleaning a Saeco brew unit (which for the most part doesn't result in much else than rinsing the outside of the thing).

Cant speak about De Longhi.

Anyone that buys an automatic machine must know they are buying a style of espresso brew that is similar but not the same as a good manually operated machine. That is the way they are. Additionally my understanding is the Ena 5 is quite an old model and certainly the bottom of the range. Machines costing more, not to mention newer range machines, are VASTLY improved in the quality of the brew.

I dont know that I would ever buy a used base model automatic of any brand through an internet "auction" site. Its called buyer beware, especially for people that don't know that automatic espresso machines make a different style of espresso, and the last thing I would ever do on any auto is use the ghastly bypass function to use coffee ground on some other equipment. It will only confuse the issue.

Lastly in regard to the quote" "...Unfortunately the Ena 5 (and most Jura machines to be honest) is a pretty poor attempt at an automatic machine. I've repaired several and all of them are substandard even by automatic machine standards...."

This is simply rubbish. In my own experience the two BEST (for a number of reasons) *home use* automatic machine manufacturers are Jura and Melitta, but as with any piece of equipment, you wouldn't just buy the cheapest model off the rank OR any unknown second handy, or make a judgment based on superseded design models.
    Last edited by TOK; 16th September 2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: insert an edit

TOK
    And for the rest of it.

I expect the "...coarse grind and 80 ml of extraction...." will be for their swiss home market.

Dont know your location but you can call jura customer service here in Oz. I dont have the number but I think it may be a 1300 number...look it up. in fact it should be written on a sticker somewhere on the machine.....

And....you mentioned that you are using stale coffee. I am afraid that will be the cause of most of your problem. Autos (any brand) dont like stale beans, OR OILY DARK beans. You MUST use fresh roast beans that are NOT oiled up, to get the best out of it. Additionaly, most auto machines will have a DOSE adjustment for the amount of grinds to be used to make the brew. For the Oz market (and people's expecations therein) never use the minimum, or even standard dose. Always use whatever adjustment there is, to give you somewhere between the standard and maximum setting of grinds per coffee. I expect that on your machine it will be by some method of telling it to grind for a longer period of time. Ergo, you end up with more grinds in the (timed) dose, than you would end up with in a "standard" dose of grinds.

That, together with fresh, non oiled beans, will improve the coffee out of sight from what you are getting (which I expect is stale coffee and minimum dose grinds), even if it does no meet anyone's particular idea of espresso nirvana when it is made with a good manual espresso machine. Using an auto for best effect requires a measure of understanding, just like any other method of coffee brewing.

Lastly, your machine is not "user serviceable". Learn how to use it to best effect, if you dont like it put it back on the bay and buy something that is more your style. Regardless, dont pull it apart and dont fix it if it aint broke, or you will get stuckif you do not have the requisite expertise. Use the cleaning pills at the required periodic intervals, and the water filters that go in the tank, and it will lessen the requirement for physical intervention by miles..... And repeating, call the Jura customer service people. They should be able to give you some helpful advice.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. I have been playing around with the settings a little more and have discovered some of things you mentioned already.

Their is a "Strong" coffee setting which adds more coffee and improves the taste. I also had some freshly roasted beans delivered a couple of days ago. Combined with giving it a good clean as per the manual. Final result, not bad!

All in all I'm happy so far. Had some green beans delivered today so will try roasting them this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by zaheerkha View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have been playing around with the settings a little more and have discovered some of things you mentioned already.

Their is a "Strong" coffee setting which adds more coffee and improves the taste. I also had some freshly roasted beans delivered a couple of days ago. Combined with giving it a good clean as per the manual. Final result, not bad!

All in all I'm happy so far. Had some green beans delivered today so will try roasting them this weekend.
    Just got given one for the office. I played with it a bit. Still trying to figure it out. Is 2 cup better than strong in terms of dosage?